[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 05:13:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Enough already, ok!?
     Johnnn made molds using replica coins that were most likely manufactured before the hobbyist act or which were manufactured outside of the United States for the purpose of entertainment and/or education.   The replicas that Johnnn used were legal for him to purchase and own (and under the circumstances I defined, it is unlikely the SS would be after him for the possession of the original replicas---unless he tried to pass them off as genuine currency, even if he lived in the United States, which he does not).  Further, he innocently manufactured HIS set of new replicas from his purchased replicas for his personal enjoyment and with no intention of selling them or of trying to pass them off as genuine US currency.  Therefore, while it is theoretically possible that the long arm of the US SS could arrest and prosecute him should he set foot on US territory (or request the Canadian government so so), the most likely scenario (should they take any interest at all in what he is doing) is that they would confiscate his copies of copies and tell him to kindly desist from making further copies.
     Johnn, being the extremely wise person that we know he is, has probably already become totally fed up with this entire discussion and has decided: 1) that he's not ever going to make a copy of another coin no matter how unlike the original it might be in size
and
2) if he ever decides to make another copy he's sure as h*!! not going to share it with us..........
.....at least that the course most of us "rational" people would take.

However, Johnn, being both wise and kind, may decide that he wants to continue his hobby in which case I am quite confident that he will add "COPY" to each and every mold.   

Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95602.html#msg95602

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:21:05 pm by BitburgAggie_7377 »
Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 05:17:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Copy stamped on the obverse or the reverse will eliminate any and all problems.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95603.html#msg95603

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 05:23:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bigwater
I already have.  Reply #10 of this thread.  US Code Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 25, ?487

If you want further problematic issues to consider, read ?489 of the same.

It's hard to understand how somebody from Austrailia can claim to know more about US law than somebody who has to deal with it every day.  I couldn't tell you if it's legal to spit at a kangaroo in Austrailia, yet you know our counterfeiting laws?

I'm a US citizen and resident of both countries. Flag that argument. They are OUR laws. I know the law regarding making copies of coins and banknotes and you are not reading the law correctly. It is NOT forbidden to make replicas or facsimiles. They either must be oversized, undersized or clearly marked as a Facsimile if they are the same size.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95609.html#msg95609

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:52:20 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline earth whisper
Bronze Member

me and the whites!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

295.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites prism IV
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 05:37:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
     Enough already, ok!?
     Johnnn made molds using replica coins that were most likely manufactured before the hobbyist act or which were manufactured outside of the United States for the purpose of entertainment and/or education.   The replicas that Johnnn used were legal for him to purchase and own (and under the circumstances I defined, it is unlikely the SS would be after him for the possession of the original replicas---unless he tried to pass them off as genuine currency, even if he lived in the United States, which he does not).  Further, he innocently manufactured HIS set of new replicas from his purchased replicas for his personal enjoyment and with no intention of selling them or of trying to pass them off as genuine US currency.  Therefore, while it is theoretically possible that the long arm of the US SS could arrest and prosecute him should he set foot on US territory (or request the Canadian government so so), the most likely scenario (should they take any interest at all in what he is doing) is that they would confiscate his copies of copies and tell him to kindly desist from making further copies.
     Johnn, being the extremely wise person that we know he is, has probably already become totally fed up with this entire discussion and has decided: 1) that he's not ever going to make a copy of another coin no matter how unlike the original it might be in size
and
2) if he ever decides to make another copy he's sure as h*!! not going to share it with us..........
.....at least that the course most of us "rational" people would take.

However, Johnn, being both wise and kind, may decide that he wants to continue his hobby in which case I am quite confident that he will add "COPY" to each and every mold.   

Smiley
Bithburg,"You are the MAN!" Thanks for your comment about John, you took the words outta my mouth! I hope everybody reads your post and appoligizes to John, who cares what Johnn does, He is one of my favorites on this sight, even though I'm jealous of his finds, keep trucking Johnn "Love your posts!"Thanks again Bithburg!" Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95619.html#msg95619

Erik Davis

Offline johnnnTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you43

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

7190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Arado 120 b/ Tesoro.
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 07:51:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

O M G,
The aguments put forth are very interesting, so here's here's what I will do in the next little while.
I will post pix of the group of "copies" that I have had since 1975 they were sent to me from The "United States Of America" and are as I believe exact copies of the real coins only they are given out with items of furniture, now that being said how could they constitute "forgery" this thought never entered my mind when I did these replicas, I have also copied some 16th centry wood carvings "pix later" and as I have about 60lb of lead want to copy more items "pix later" I understand "now" that you are all very passionate about this type of thing but I failed to say that I only copy "one side" of this replica, and as you all know this particular "silver dollar" is a beautiful coin you guy's also have some ugly coins too,
If the feds come to my door I promise to come quitely....HH.........Johnnn

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95655.html#msg95655

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 07:56:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Johnnn, you're doing just fine. I've made replica coins in the USA for most of my adult life legally and without fear of arrest. I do it for the same kind of reason you do. I don't want to give up a real coin that has to be drilled or damaged or used merely as decoration. I've even made some of clear plastic and some of plaster of Paris.

The screaming meemies here have no idea what they are discussing and have a knee jerk reaction until someone calls them on their error. It seems all fixed now since even Bigwater has decided it's all right as long as you use the word Copy on the coin. But, according to later amendments, the word Facsimile is also correct and legal. After all, Facsimile is the word the US Mint uses.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95660.html#msg95660

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you43

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

7190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Arado 120 b/ Tesoro.
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 08:01:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Gold digger,
Thanks for your late reply, 10 pm I will now sleep well knowing I still have some friends out there...............Hh....Johnnn

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95665.html#msg95665

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 03:48:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by johnnn
Hi Gold digger,
Thanks for your late reply, 10 pm I will now sleep well knowing I still have some friends out there...............Hh....Johnnn

WAKE UP!

It wasn't late when I wrote it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg95920.html#msg95920

Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you43

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

7190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Arado 120 b/ Tesoro.
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 09:41:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ok OK you dont have to shout!, I just read it late in the evening I must be the only one still on this thing at that time..........HH..........Johnnn Coffee

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg96112.html#msg96112

Offline ThyLordJJ
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites CoinMaster 6000/Di Series 3/ Whites Eagle SL-II-90/Garret pro-pointer
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 11:22:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

WoW, heated thread.  Fight well any ways, here is what I do with the scrap lead I come up with.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14829.msg96127.html#msg96127

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

S1050006.jpg
S1050042.jpg

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:24:04 am by ThyLordJJ »

It just aint worth a thing. If it aint got that "sing"

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up