[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline LostChapterBooksTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:25:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

I am here in Brisbane Australia and finally ready to go out on a beach hunt.  I find I am in need of a long handled Sand Scoop. Can someone from the area (anywhere in Aus to tell the truth) tell me were I might be able to buy one.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26725.msg188268.html#msg188268

A troll walks afield looking for gold and silver. Instead he finds a new wife. Sometimes a troll is just lucky.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:04:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just about any detector shop has them. The Prospector's Patch north of Perth in Midland has them. Sign up on their web page for a 5% discount and ring them to order one.

What did you think of the book I sent?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26725.msg188331.html#msg188331

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:15:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Golddigger... The book was great and gave me a few ideas. Thank you so much for sending it. I also found a complete set of Gold and Ghosts that I can borrow and will be reading it soon.  I just read Wild Ride the Rise and Fall of Cobb and Co and that one was outstanding. It's descriptions of what and where coaches bog down and what was done to get them out of the bog, gives me some serious thinking about how to search abandoned roads.

I looked at Prospectors Patch but all they had was a hand scoop.  No long handles. Does anyone else in Australia have one? I really don't want to wait a month or so for one to get here from the US (plus the shipping charges on a long handle would be huge, I would think).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26725.msg188342.html#msg188342

A troll walks afield looking for gold and silver. Instead he finds a new wife. Sometimes a troll is just lucky.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 03:21:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That's why I suggested you ring them and order one. They sell out fast so they don't put them on the web page. They normally have two or three in stock of different types.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26725.msg188343.html#msg188343

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 03:26:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Gold.  I'll give them a call today

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26725.msg188344.html#msg188344

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 03:42:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm happy that the book interested you. It's an old one and as you can see, well worn, loved and abused. The info is accurate as verified by many friends over the years. There's no way to pick a site clean so every trip means another relic, coin or artifact. A good book, for content.

Unfortunately the author of Gold and Ghosts, deHavilland, had a falling out with the publisher here in Perth. I went by to see the publisher one day and he showed me cases and cases of the books in one of his sheds unsold out of spite and nothing more. I couldn't convince him that he'd get deHavilland's goat more by selling than hoarding them since the author had already been paid for the book. He didn't want to hear it. Such is life.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26725.msg188346.html#msg188346

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

325.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Spectra
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 04:01:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Another book I got hold of was Old Gold & Mining towns of Australia (John Darbyshire and C E Sayers). This one I liked due to the artist renditions of the towns.  Gave me a starting point on architecture and what to keep an eye out for on the road. Though first published in 1975 and I'm guessing many of the towns and buildings are now gone.

There really aren't many actual Metal Detecting shops anymore and definately nothing like a KellyCo over here.  We had a complaint at the last Brisbane Metal Detecting club meeting that someone who wanted to hands on before purchase would have to travel over to Perth just to do so. I'm meeting up with that just in replacing some of my equipment.

I'll be upgrading to a new detector before long and in that case I need to hold it in hand before deciding (I have a shoulder problem and weight and balance are all important).   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26725.msg188348.html#msg188348

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 04:10:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I can offer this as help goes. Send me your mobile phone number by PM and when I next get to the Patch, I'll ring you and send photos of any scoops that look interesting.

There are also a few DIY scoop projects here and on the web. The trick is a strong neck for the tubing where it joins the basket and the ability to step on it for purchase. There are a lot of ways to accomplish this.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26725.msg188350.html#msg188350

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: