[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline sugarcreekTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:50:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Hi all! i am new to your website, as i was browsing i happened upon this site, and book marked it, and also registered for membership.
My name is Mona, i'm from the mid west, indiana........ i live near sugarcreek, where we find indian head arrows, lots of fossils, cirnoids, some very interesting things we have gathered from sugarcreek, and digging in the ground also old bottles and such. what i am posting is in regards to 6 old medals i have. - this is my question, can anyone tell me what these are? i found ( quite sometime ago,  6 large round mexico medals,  they measure  2 7/8" (all are  not perfectly round) and a few are a bit " warped" they appear to be quite old, this is what is on the face of this medal
calendario azteca y piedra del sol ( on the bottom front is " Mexico" these are a bit worn, as the appear to be quite old, or used alot. i do not know what the metal is , nickle maybe? does anyone have any information you would like to share regarding these quite unusual medals? maybe some type of sun-dial? age? i just havnet investigated them , as i was going through my old trunk of treasures, / finds and became curious about these. any help in identifying these would be greatly appreciated. as i said, i 've had them for several years, and forgot about them . now i really am interested in finding out what they are, the age, just anything about the medals you may want to share with me. ( at this moment i am having difficulties with my camera, just had to purchase a new comp tower, and just yesterday got this up and going, so please bear with me while i get used to the new system, and all hardware, upgrades, etc, i will post a photo hopefully tomarrow of these 6 mexico medals.
kind regards to all & thank you in advance for any help you are willing to share with me regarding these items!
sugarcreek   
 Waveing

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12652.msg79922.html#msg79922

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 11:22:38 pm by sugarcreek »
Offline Bugar
Silver Member

IF IT BEEPS=DIGIT
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Scorpion,Garrett Master Hunter,And Garrett Scorpion #2
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:21:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

I don't recognize it at all, but very nice- I'm in Indiana,
Will b looking for more pics= Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12652.msg79992.html#msg79992

If It Beeps=DIGIT

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:24:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

good morning!
thanks for your reply to my post, i think the mexico -  aztec medal, many years ago this was sun dial carved on stone.  is possibly some type of souviner?  from mexico, it may be a bit old, i did find some additional info, it is an aztec  sun dial of such. it is interesting, around the creeks in indiana one can find many metal objects! alot of history here, and of course all around the states.
have a good day

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12652.msg80003.html#msg80003

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:30:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

sugarcreek, they're a pretty common Mexican souvenir.   They've been around for a while, so there's really no telling how old yours are.  There pattern after an original carved stone version that is in the National Museum of Anthropology and History in Mexico City

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztec_calendar_stone

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12652.msg80136.html#msg80136

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 06:17:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hi bitburg,
 thanks for your information, i found a few articles on the internet that suggested to me exactly what you say, they are souvenir pieces, not really a great find, just interesting...i would love to see the one carved in stone in the museum! that must really be something!
keep digging, ....just maybe we will all find that one great item! i appreciate your response, as i  i am just beginning to look for items, digging & using my metal detector, which ive had for several years, its a nice hobby to pass some time, and when the detector starts buzzing  it is quite exciting!
you have a nice evening!
sugarcreek

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12652.msg80151.html#msg80151

Offline BerntOut
Copper Member

Life is Good!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:09:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

YOu found the ancient Aztec calendar which stops at 2012...the end of the world?  :oNaw, they just ran out of space!  Cheesy Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12652.msg80291.html#msg80291

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: