[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge RunnerTopic starter
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 09:29:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
  That Makro Gold looks like a heck of a machine but I think I would be more comfortable buying American.

yeah it is a beast, it has manual GB Auto GB and ground grab and it has isat that seems to wipe out the ground noise and they make so many coils for it from Concentrics and DD's of all shapes and sizes, it can hunt for coin in the park or Nuggets out in the bad lands, It is like a normal Gold bug pro / MXT but with the abilities of a GMT or Gold Bug II, it's quite clever really.   Great

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63442.msg313556.html#msg313556

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory
Mac OS X 10.11
Mac OS X 10.11
Firefox 48.0
Firefox 48.0

Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 06:50:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey RR Thanks for the write up. You run those loops through the mill!. Good info. Weight is a real killer sometimes. The loop on my Surf PI Dual darn near needs a set if casters on it!!! i got around the issue by switching to a straight rod with the detector mounted behind the users elbow.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63442.msg313562.html#msg313562

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 08:05:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Mudflap
Hey RR Thanks for the write up. You run those loops through the mill!. Good info. Weight is a real killer sometimes. The loop on my Surf PI Dual darn near needs a set if casters on it!!! i got around the issue by switching to a straight rod with the detector mounted behind the users elbow.

your welcome, I do have a few coils to choose from, that little 5.3 is more of a cross over coil because it just does it all so very well and for prospecting it see's all and for mooching in shallow bedrock areas it really excels  yet it is at home in junk filled sites hitting coins at good depths too,

The land based version of you PI Duel field for the MXT/DFX has some good uses too, because in junk filled sites most folks use the standard coils or go smaller, I don't do that I stick on the 12" coil and go deeper and dig all the targets they leave behind and the crazy part about it is it works

That new 14x10 I just got is up to 16.6 grams lighter than the standard 10" DD depending which plug it comes fitted with and it seems a bit more EMI resistant? Not much but enough and on coins it adds a couple of inches or so and on larger object it really gives it a boost,
One thing I have noticed about this coil is that It Air Tests large Items well in to the 5 or 6 feet range and for an elliptical coil that is quite an achievement.

I was swinging my pick the other day and it was up setting the detector from 5 feet away So I should imagine it has some serious depth possibilities going on in there,

All of the concentric coils have a very noticeable depth increase on Tiny items compared to the DD's, But DD to DD there is no difference and Concentric to concentric there is no difference  in relation to their sizes with maybe one possible exception and that is the 5.3 because that is a very hot coil indeed,

HH.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63442.msg313566.html#msg313566

« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 09:09:24 pm by Ridge Runner »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 48.0
Firefox 48.0

Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 09:31:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Concentric Coils Field of detection is somewhat Conical were as DD coils have a Broader field  .

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63442.msg313567.html#msg313567

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 09:39:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Concentric Coils Field of detection is somewhat Conical were as DD coils have a Broader field  .

Yeah I prefer Concentrics because the Disc better as in you can run the DISC about 75% lower to remove Crown caps and still get Clad coins where as with a DD if you want to disc out crown caps you will loose the Coins,

I have that 15" MXT Max coil, it is a Concentric and it is the most powerful coil I own but the weight is way more than that 14x10 DD, If the 14x10 DD is picking up stuff 5 to 6 feet away and on some targets at a distance of over 2.50 meters or 8 feet,

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63442.msg313568.html#msg313568

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:12:08 pm by Ridge Runner »
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 48.0
Firefox 48.0

Awards
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 07:54:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

The both have there   Pro's and Cons.   The DD never go quite as deep as a Conical but the Deepest portion of the conical s field is only a fraction of the coils diameter.  Sorta Tit for Tat ? 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63442.msg313571.html#msg313571

Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 08:12:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

The both have there   Pro's and Cons.   The DD never go quite as deep as a Conical but the Deepest portion of the conical s field is only a fraction of the coils diameter.  Sorta Tit for Tat ?  

Yeah for sure,

I consider a Detector that only uses one type of Coil or the other as half a detector in just a few cases because a machine that can only use a DD is extremely restricted and vice versa.

Machines like Whites, Fisher F-75, Nokta and Makro and the Minelab X-Terra range are proper detectors, No doubt there are other that can use both types of coils,

All the other Minelab VLFs only use DD's along with the Technetics T2 by first Texas and many others out there, Detecting it's self has many restriction as it is, So why use a machine that adds even more restriction upon you by using one that can only use one type of Coil. Angry Club  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63442.msg313575.html#msg313575

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 02:45:36 pm by Ridge Runner »
Offline Assembler
Bronze Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%

United States

760.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows Vista/Server 2008
Windows Vista/Server 2008
Firefox 48.0
Firefox 48.0

Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2016, 10:46:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello
Is it a good idea to have two people detecting the same ground using two different types of coils?
Thank you for all the good information on coils for the Whites MXT detector machine Ridge Runner sure can help save one some time picking out a coil to use.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63442.msg313598.html#msg313598

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:47:33 am by Assembler »
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2016, 05:37:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Assembler
Hello
Is it a good idea to have two people detecting the same ground using two different types of coils?
Thank you for all the good information on coils for the Whites MXT detector machine Ridge Runner sure can help save one some time picking out a coil to use.  Smiley

Sorry for the Late reply, One thing that I have noticed is where 2 MXT's are being used in the one area, Is that they are So Powerful when you crank them up, Me and a Mate were both running MXT's with the 12" Concentric Coils and I could here him coming from about 200ft away and by the time he was 60 to 70 feet away it becomes impossible to work the same area together, Which Proved to me just how powerful the MXT's are and how sensitive they are.,

I Air tested my MXT All Pro with that 14x10 Detech Coil trying to get an Idea as to what might be possible on a larger metal Item so I got a 10 inch Glass saucepan Lid with a Thin stainless band around the Edge and I could hear it up to 9 and a Half feet away to just about 10 feet which is pretty Awesome,  So I figured that if I loose 50 to 60% of that in the ground then I am still going to be digging up to 4 feet deep on a 10" Target, The MXT and the 14x10 Combo is one of the most impressive set ups I have ever come across if not the most,

There are other coil companies out there but the ones that I have seen don't make coil covers for them along with stating that they are so tough that you don't need them, But after spending 3 weeks solid detecting stubble I can confirm that coils DO need covers because I managed to wear off the pattern of my coil cover and whats worse is I managed to round off the edges of the Coil Cover along with this they claim how Light their coils are well they would be without a cover fitted, So I would avoid buying them as much as I like the thought of a 15" round DD that is very light I don't want to be replacing them in 10 to 12 weeks time, NOT at a £145.00 or $180.00 a throw,

RR.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,63442.msg314519.html#msg314519

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: