[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline lacanutaTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: September 19, 2010, 07:39:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi, I am new to this site and this is my first post.

I have looked at the threads for Yamashita's Gold - Yamashita's Treasure but did not find what I am looking for. I am intrigued by this story/legend of the treasures buried by the retreating Japanese during 1944/5. I am aware that numerous books have been written on this subject and have ordered a few for reference. I am going to write a work of fiction about this issue and I am currently researching the subject. One area that eludes me right now is the signs and symbols found or reported by many treasure hunters in the Philipines. Do any of you have any knowledge of these signs or codes and their meanings?

I shall continue to search this site for more information and thank anyone who is able to assist me.
Regards
Stuart
I stand corrected as I've now found just what I was looking for.

I'm still interested to communicate with anyone who has knowledge of the so called Yamashita gold.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18040.msg116373.html#msg116373

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 03:28:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from Australia!

Just for a minute, think this through. If you do, you may be the very first on this forum to do so.

Fleeing soldiers don't have much free time to bury things. More often than not, a choice of saving one's life or saving some general's gold is an easy one. Run and leave it all behind is the answer. Any treasure left behind by a retreating army has most likely been found. The odd small cache of personal items might be the exception. A soldier not wanting his family photos or mementos to be defiled might bury them quickly believing he may come back for them some time.

Most of the Yam treasure guys here are digging holes 30 to 100 feet deep. It takes months to dig a hole that deep to bury treasure and as many months to dig it up later. It just didn't happen, my friend. The most likely place to hide anything while fleeing would be a natural cave of some kind. Sealing it with branches or even a landslide created by a grenade would only make it mere yards into the ground, if that far.

If you write a book of fiction on the subject, keep that in mind. I might also mention that even if you develop a fictional story, someone will come along and insist it's true and begin a treasure hunt based on your fiction. Ironic, eh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18040.msg117914.html#msg117914

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 04:16:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Greetings from South Wales!

Your point about fleeing soldiers is well taken and one issue I was considering particularly in view of the sort of retribution handed out to those who are deemed to have acted cowardly.

I believe that some mines were used to hide treasure and the hardened concrete caps would have taken time to contruct. The Japanese were clearly in the Philipines for quite some time with their normal shipping routes to Japan difficult or impossible to negotiate due to enemy submarines patrolling. It is during this time that they possibly buried treasure, not by digging holes but by using natural and existing man-made resources. I very much doubt if a grenade would have the power to conceal the entrance to a cave but they would have had more powerful explosives which could.

Whether there is any treasure still to be found or not is debatable but the die-hards will never give up.

Your last sentence made me laugh as you are so right and the upside for me is that it might sell more books because they believe the story. Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18040.msg117919.html#msg117919

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 05:32:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

For me the issue is that some people die a fool's death when they chase Yamashita's alleged treasure. They take unnecessary risks in the belief that there really is treasure hidden by poison gasses or death traps. They never once consider how dangerous it would have been for the Japanese to enter those same places to bury any treasure. They never consider how long it takes to dig a hiding place that is 40 feet into the ground. They never consider how much machinery it takes to make a concrete bunker that deep. No matter how long the Japanese were there, they wouldn't have buried the gold. They needed it to fight the war, feed their troops and built more war machinery.

The smell of treasure blinds people who seek it. They fabricate a story to fit what they find. A sign like a plus? Why, it must mean I am near it! A turtle rock? Oh, boy! There it is, 40 feet down.

I do believe there may be a few caches left around. Perhaps as many as 10 but they won't be large ones. Yamashita was captured with most of his booty within a few yards of his capture. That's verifiable. When he was certain to be put to death, he brushed away any suggestion that he hid more gold. His final statement tells it all. By the time he was executed, he had made peace with his captors. He knew he had no hope of escape so why keep any gold hidden?

His final words before he was hanged: "As I said in the Manila Supreme Court that I have done with my all capacity, so I don't ashame in front of the gods for what I have done when I have died. But if you say to me 'you do not have any ability to command the Japanese Army' I should say nothing for it, because it is my own nature. Now, our war criminal trial going on in Manila Supreme Court, so I wish to be justify under your kindness and right. I know that all your American and American military affairs always has tolerant and rightful judgment. When I have been investigated in Manila court I have had a good treatment, kindful attitude from your good natured officers who all the time protect me. I never forget for what they have done for me even if I had died. I don't blame my executioner. I'll pray the gods bless them. Please send my thankful word to Col. Clarke and Lt. Col. Feldhaus, Lt. Col. Hendrix, Maj. Guy, Capt. Sandburg, Capt. Reel, at Manila court, and Col. Arnard. I thank you."

Look at it this way. If he really had hidden more gold, it would have been a good bargaining chip for him to use. In the post war corruption, surely he could have bargained for his life. He had nothing left and that was the truth of it.

When I say there may be as many as 10 sizable caches left undiscovered, that's based on the evacuation routes left to the Japanese forces who may not have had time to turn over their captured gold to Yamashita. It's doubtful that much gold was taken from the Filipino people because they were as poor as they are now. I believe that any gold they carried probably came from the rest of the Indonesian island chains and was transported to the Philippines. Therefore, the amounts would be very small. All 10 caches might make up 10% of what was found with Yamashita.

Good luck with your writing. Who knows? We may have a future famous author in our midst.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18040.msg117925.html#msg117925

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline bassai
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 07:29:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

hello, if you want some of the known Japaneses  signs and codes, visit this site-

Please Register or Login

www.tseatc.com/Philippines.html
. the codes are in .pdf file

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18040.msg118127.html#msg118127

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:12:22 am by seldom »
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 12:20:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, I already have those but they are not necessarily exhaustive or complete. There seems to be many, many signs that the treasure hunters come up aginst and I suspect that a lot of those have appeared since WW11. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18040.msg118160.html#msg118160

Offline Rattlesnake Joe
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

965.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 250 ace,  Whites DI Pro,  Fisher two box
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 03:43:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD  The Japaneese dug tunnels and caves on Iwo Jima like crazy and they mostly used picks and shovels.  After the war a cache was found buried in one of these caves.  So it is possible that the Philipines have hand dug holes to hide things too.  The bargaining chip was small for what they did to our service men on Battan and other attrocities.  So who knows?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18040.msg118194.html#msg118194

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 05:19:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Rattlesnake Joe
GD  The Japaneese dug tunnels and caves on Iwo Jima like crazy and they mostly used picks and shovels.  After the war a cache was found buried in one of these caves.  So it is possible that the Philipines have hand dug holes to hide things too.  The bargaining chip was small for what they did to our service men on Battan and other attrocities.  So who knows?

That, even if true, has nothing to do with what I wrote. Did you even bother to read what I wrote?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18040.msg118212.html#msg118212

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline sydney
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

130.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 04:42:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

i think everybody here has the right to say what he/she believes.. if thats gd's opinion so be it.. if other people thinks there are deep tunnels in PI filled with gold and treasures so be it...... period.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18040.msg118270.html#msg118270

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 04:44:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by sydney
i think everybody here has the right to say what he/she believes.. if thats gd's opinion so be it.. if other people thinks there are deep tunnels in PI filled with gold and treasures so be it...... period.

The only problem with this attitude is that he addressed me directly in his post. Thus, I made note to him that he was discussing something else. He'll get over it, mate. Relax.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18040.msg118272.html#msg118272

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: