[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline varmit
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 01:41:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

its important to know what you have before you touch a gun other than a coat of oil to stop rust.
i've seen dozens of ruined guns because someone has shined it up with steel wool.  if you just want it to hang on the wall it dosnt matter what you do to it. if you want to preserve the collectable value there is no exscuse for not researching the gun online.
on average improper cleaning/restoring of any antique losses half the value.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3924.msg65875.html#msg65875

Offline wolffyy
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret- mine labs
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 11:55:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

most dings and dents can be raised on wood with moist towel and a hot iron. You lay it over the area that needs raised and let the heat of the iron put the moister back in the wood don't leave the iron in one place to long move it a round.
My gun smith shop used to be in Las Cruces,NM till I moved back to Indiana. The way I work on old rusty gun is I take it a part as much as posibile lay the wood over to th side and then I take the metal parts and soak them in motor oil depends on how rusty as long as a week sometimes then I use 0000 steel wool to try and get the rust off but leaving the patina. I don't ever use w-40 on metal gun parts as over time it start to turn real gummy  that where I get a lot of guns in to be cleaned now wd-40 is great to put on wood stocks like when your getting ready to put your gun away after you been out hunting and have all ready cleaned all the metal parts.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3924.msg71658.html#msg71658

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: