[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline LanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites coin collector
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:30:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Corregidor Island.

What a place, full of history and tragic loss of lives. This Island is now a Tourist trap, which shows the remains of what was once a busy Island fortress. today its all broken buildings, bombed out shelters and tunnels, old WWII guns that no longer works...and hundreds of tunnels....

so, the idea was to get the ole' detector out and d a bit of browsing in areas where the tourists dont go, and there is plenty. Wow, 2 minutes after the detector was assembled along comes a security guard, "What are You doing?" and rather sternly put too.Full of himself and looking for a confrontation. Well I'm not int that sort of stuff, so....to put him in his place I had to tell a little white lie, sort of..
I said to him, "Did you parachute onto this Island in WWII to fight the japanese? "Did You???" "were you here when everyone was being killed by the enemy, were You" He looked a little sheepish and replied "No Sir"! Fine I said, then let me alone to find my friends and comrades that died here then. With that i was left alone for the next 5 days, and everyone gave me plenty of room in the hotel...maybe they thought that I jumped onto the island in WWII? well I didnt. But my ruse worked...

So back to the treasure hunting, of which there isnt any, but some very interesting finds here. Sadly loads of junk to, lots of metal, bullets and bombs.
and.....articles of the former occupants, watches, brooches, bracelets some in good condition due to the dry heat, and others very poor due to being subject to the rains and explosions(?)

So, what did i find, "a little Indian style head brooch, solid silver. A solid silver horseshoe bracelet, and other brooches". maybe the possessions of the former nurses who worked here during the war.or the wives of officers.? Who knows?
they are being cleaned, will post pics as soon as done..lots of old japanese bits and pieces, US stuff as well. But not in the value category, history yes.

But what a place to wander around..must get a friendly guide to show me more places of interest...

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12889.msg81494.html#msg81494

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:11:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

can't say that I condone your approach or your ruse.....but that just may be me.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12889.msg81592.html#msg81592

« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:14:57 pm by BitburgAggie_7377 »
Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 03:46:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't go for that its just one step from digging in a grave yard. And we wonder why a small group give us all a bad name.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12889.msg81601.html#msg81601

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline LanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites coin collector
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 10:10:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

seems as if i have upset a few people here?

However being as the 503rd airborne (They were the ones who jumped on Corregidor during the war), are here just about every month digging and retrieving their lost items of the WWII, and also tracing every tunnel here,
my little ventures seem to annoy people?? items that i find i try to return to owners, like ID tags etc. usually its not possible though.....

So in view of that i wont post any more of Corregidor !!! I will just keep the memories  to myself
And if like you suggest that "I" give you a bad name Mr "Seldom", i will leave this site. Does that fit into your Ideals also???

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12889.msg81674.html#msg81674

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 10:33:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What annoys people is not that you hunted Corregidor, but the obvious trespass involved since you would not have had to resort to your "ruse" if you had proper permission to hunt the area.  What's more the nature of the ruse you used is particularly distasteful.   Next time, why don't you secure permission before you unlimber your metal detector?   The idea that you try to return items you find to the rightful owners is honorable, the methods you use to secure the ability to hunt are not.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12889.msg81684.html#msg81684

Offline LanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites coin collector
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 11:59:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

permission is not required to hunt Corregidor as its a public place owned by the Government now. however digging for gold is nor allowed at all.(theres none there anyway)

The ruse is for the security guards only, as they will harass you until you pay them some money to leave you alone to wander, common to all tourists visiting there. Which we find distasteful too.
Its part of the corrupt system here, 5-7 bucks a day and they will leave you alone, or give them a 'ruse' to secure your freedom to wander.

anyway i didnt come here to bandy words with anybody...not to sure that i will stay either

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12889.msg81693.html#msg81693

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 06:11:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

To use ruse, trickery, or lying is wrong to get access to a historical site. You did not use a ruse you flat out lied to the security guard, and that reflexes on all TH's. Then you post it on a public forum asking us to reply and we have. There may be some here who agree with you but I am not one

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12889.msg81709.html#msg81709

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 07:25:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

Club,sorry bud but i gotta agree,plenty of other places to dig...........don't leave tho,nobody agrees with everything

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12889.msg81719.html#msg81719

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline dign4it
Copper Member

Banned
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

495.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

arc-geo mini
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 07:41:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Wouldn't it have been nice to work in conjunction with the people protecting these sites, and put all found items in a museum commemorating our brave men and women who served there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12889.msg81727.html#msg81727

Offline LanTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites coin collector
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 04:44:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by dign4it
  Wouldn't it have been nice to work in conjunction with the people protecting these sites, and put all found items in a museum commemorating our brave men and women who served there.

we have been scrambling down tunnels and mapping the whole island for years, and not with metal detectors either, just our hands and vague memories of what used to be. Many times we have found old relics, all of which went into the museum, like every dog tag that we found of the US soldiers that died here...and there was a lot.

No treasure hunting, just trying to resurrect a war time location for people to visit. And recently the security guards arrive trying their "lagay" on the tourists, lagay by the way is their corrupt way of getting money out you for supposed violations of the laws. Of which there is only one. "the digging for treasure is forbidden, (gold)"

And the security guards are the ones who "allow their friends" to come here at night and steal all the metal, like ree bar from buildings and tunnels, even the old gun barrels off 5" guns are burned or cut off. Of course they get their cut to.

We dont steal, but re-open old lost areas, anything found, the owners are traced if possible, if not then it goes to the museum.

I'm not a treasure hunter, mostly i just potter around, during my spare time.And in places where the public do not go. So no,I dont give anyone a bad name. and if i have to lie or anything else to get these corrupt security guards off the island, then i will..

I do this, with others to remember the guys who fought here, not for corrupt security guards to line their pockets.

anyone who doesnt like, then dont read my posts!!!!

and thats it. Wont post any more either !!!
endex

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,12889.msg81991.html#msg81991

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:27:34 am by Lan »
Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: