[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Stormrider1951
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, White's VX3
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:16:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

One side note about brass ammo casings.  If you find a live round, even a .22 rimfire, don't just throw it in with the fired brass and haul it to the scrap yard.  You will not be popular if they spot the live round and even less popular if it detonates during processing.  Use a pair of pliers to pull the bullet out and dump the powder.  Now that I've opened this subject there are a couple of other things I guess I'd better point out about disposing of live ammo or rendering it safe to recycle.  I'm a gunsmith and I've seen people do some really dumb things.  Here's a short list:

Don't throw it in a fire or try to melt it down.  The powder will ignite and shrapnel will fly.
Don't try to flatten it out with a hammer.  This is especially dangerous with rimfire ammo.
Just because you can get the cartridge to go into the chamber of a gun doesn't mean it is safe to fire.  Don't try it.  Just don't.  You don't need that kind of excitement.
Don't clamp the base of the cartridge in a vise to hold it while you pull the bullet.

It's really simple.  Use pliers to pull the bullet then dump the powder.

John

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,16641.msg106834.html#msg106834

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: