[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ScotiusTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada
Referrals: 0

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:07:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Any tips for finding old coins other than "Don't keep looking in areas where tons of ground fill has been brought in!"?

I live in the most historic area of Ontario, Canada, and despite it being the most historic area, when I go to the park near the beach I find new coins.

Everywhere I go the coins I find are new. I think the oldest one I've found so far is from 1974.

I'm using a Tesoro Silver Umax, which I'm quite convinced is capable of finding deeper coins. I was assured it's the best detector for the money and I believe the guy who told me. I wouldn't even think about buying equipment from anyone else. The guy's been doing it for 30 years and knows his business - BUT I DON'T.

Tips?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38351.msg236352.html#msg236352

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:21:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Scotius that silver max is a sneaky little machine, its great on hammerd coins over here in the UK and its great on gold, why not find some old disused railway stations, old stock yards where they use to break horses and hold live stock auctions, get permission to hunt around some old disused buildings and try some old bush tracks, especially where courting couples use to go or even still go, but wait till they've gone before you start to dig under their blanket,

Hope this helps

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38351.msg236355.html#msg236355

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 11:00:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My Guess is your just not getting over the older targets.

Try some other locations.    Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38351.msg236356.html#msg236356

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:34:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Scotius

If you want the old stuff and if its there this is what you need to do.
Work small areas say 200 sq ft dig everything after you have cleaned up the area go over it again slower and dig every beep. You may have to cover the area 3 or 4 times before you get the deep stuff but if its there you can get it this way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38351.msg236363.html#msg236363

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Adrian See
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

935.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites quantum2,QXTpro, MXTpro /Minelag excalibur 1000
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:19:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Are you using headphones,if not you may be missing those little quieter signal's or whispers.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38351.msg236367.html#msg236367

GO FIND YOUR FORTUNE !!!!

Donkey Kong  
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:20:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
If you want the old stuff and if its there this is what you need to do.
Work small areas say 200 sq ft dig everything after you have cleaned up the area go over it again slower and dig every beep. You may have to cover the area 3 or 4 times before you get the deep stuff but if its there you can get it this way.

This is perfect advice. I'd only add that you should pay really close attention to those very faint or short duration signals. Either of those types of signals can mean older, deeper and usually more valuable targets.

Also, consider doing the same kind of sweep of the grass area between the sidewalk and the street. Go over it once to clear all the debris (but you will also find coins and rings), and then go over it again much more slowly and with much more attention to those illusive deep targets. You'll see your productivity go up for having patience and all of those deep knee bends will actually improve your fitness.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38351.msg236368.html#msg236368

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ScotiusTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 09:27:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Ridge Runner.

I am lucky in that I live in a very historic area... probably the most historic for a very wide area around. Well, it's historic for Canada, meaning that the  town I'm in officially goes back to 1797, the year of it's founding, although the French had been coming over from Detroit since a while before that.

I'll certainly give your advice a try.

Posted on: November 20, 2012, 09:18:27 PM
Thanks Seldom. I've been thinking of just going in the "all metal" mode but in all honesty, I don't know if I can do that much digging. The areas around here... it's different than in an area that's been considered historic for a long time. Around here people in the '70s commonly threw away pop tabs, etc. People just didn't have a lot of respect for the land. When I dig, I carefully remove the sod from the top, set it aside, dig what I'm after, put the dirt back in and put the sod back on top and then tamp it down. I have to come here to talk to other people who are as angry as I am about people 30, 20, and fewer years ago who threw away their pop tabs, pop cans, etc. I guess I'm gonna have to try the all metal mode if I wanna find anything deeper than 4 or 5 inches too.

I've also read that the "short signals" or "clipped tones" aren't always junk. It may just be that the object is deeper than average and that the mineralization in the soil is causing the detector to cancel it out when in discrimination mode. I may very well have to "dig everything", but I'll only be able to do that in areas where no one cares if I do. In other words, a nicely kept park will be off limits for the dig everything strategy. Don't get me wrong... I can dig in parks around here and no one seems to care as long as it doesn't look excavated, and I certainly don't leave it that way, but I can't dig 100 holes and expect that the police will just nod either.

Posted on: November 20, 2012, 09:23:32 PM
I don't think the uMax has "quieter signals". In my experience it either beeps or doesn't, and the volume is the same every time. That's one thing I don't like about it, but there's an awful lot that I do like about it so I'm not complaining.

Posted on: November 20, 2012, 09:24:50 PM
Thanks GoldDigger1950. I've been thinking of digging more of the "clipped tones", when in discrimination mode because I've read that in heavily mineralized soil the discriminate mode can discriminate good targets right out because of the mineral content you're fighting. Thing is that so far it's been very accurate in terms of that, but I do want to find the deeper stuff. I guess I either have to dig more or study buddhism if I want to find something deeper Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38351.msg237233.html#msg237233

Offline emil17
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Switzerland

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 03:42:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Scotius
Around here people in the '70s commonly threw away pop tabs, etc. People just didn't have a lot of respect for the land.

This was always the case for almost all people, but in earlier times there was not that much metallic garbage produced and thrown away.
On populated places all the alu and other metallic stuff is very discouraging ... There might exist some places that have been populated in earlier times, but are abandoned now.
Try the excavated material from places where they are building houses or new roads, or ploughed field areas, because people normally do not throw their garbage far away from where they are.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38351.msg238225.html#msg238225

Offline caleb
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1140.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Omega, Lone Star, Goldmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 12:54:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you work on your plugging technique you should be able to dig hundreds of holes and not leave much evidence you were there. Although you probably don't want to dig hundreds of holes in a small area, Rather work an area over for shallow targets and trash then come back in a few weeks after your first plugs have healed up and go for deeper stuff. I have dug at least a thousand of targets out of our local park in the last few months, and have run into the maintenance man several times who always asks what I'm finding today. Showing him all the trash and live ammo I pick up has gotten his support.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38351.msg238277.html#msg238277

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 01:29:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by caleb
Showing him all the trash and live ammo I pick up has gotten his support.

Hi  Scotius

I think that you got just about all the good advice that you could ask for. Personally I like Ridge Runner's plan because I don't want to be around people when I detect.

All the best
Xavier   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38351.msg238280.html#msg238280

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: