[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline amyjoTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 29, 2011, 09:57:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK here are my VERY basic questions. I know they seem stupid but the instruction manual just doesn't make it clear to me. When using a coil detector how far from the ground is best? Is it better to set sensitivity high and keep 4-5 inches from ground? Or is it best to keep sensitivity low and holder farther from the ground? Also does the coil have to be horizontal to the ground or will it work vertically let's say to scan the branches/trunk of hollowed out trees? There will be many more questions to come but these are my most important to get started.
TIA for any advice!
amyjo :Smiley

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21064.msg140621.html#msg140621

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 10:12:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

NO Question is dumb!    Wise

Most folks swing the coil as low as they can.

Me?  About 1-3 inches from the ground.

Sense?

As high as your machine will do after being Ground Balanced and not Chatter or False on Ya!

I don't Use Discrimination, That's Me.

Slow , Low and Steady!!!   That's How I Go!

{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21064.msg140624.html#msg140624
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/pulltabtude.jpg

Offline zul32
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 10:36:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

LOL Homefire on that Calvin & Hobbes cartoon! Just LOVE IT!!  Grin

Yea, I try and swing my detector about 1" off the ground. There are several videos on YouTube on how to use your detector. Perhaps even the model you have there.
Good luck, and Happy hunting!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21064.msg140632.html#msg140632

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 10:59:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome, Amyjo, from Australia. The field around the coil is not affected by gravity so you can use it in any orientation. It is, however, precisely 90 degrees from the horizontal so keep the coil flat towards the ground at a small gap above the grass or soil. That will prevent damage to your coil. Over time, the soil is just like sandpaper wearing away the outer skin and allowing moisture to enter the coil.

To find the deepest, oldest targets, set the sensitivity as high as you can without losing stability. Also, keep that coil as horizontal as you can. Don't lift it at either end of the coil swing. Now for some music.

Musican Swing slow, sweet chariot! Shame

All done singing. Christian doesn't like me torturing the newbies. It may feel a bit weird at first but practice swinging very slowly with the coil held absolutely horizontal to the ground. You'll have to twist your wrist a bit but after a while it will feel natural. A slow swing will also allow maximum depth at all points in the coil travel. Too fast and you will leave treasure behind for others. They'll be grateful but you'll come back here saying you only found a nail and barbed wire.

Slow swinging will also give you signal returns that are questionable to your target ID. You might get a really deep Civil War munie ball, for example, that the target ID says is junk. To the detector, it's a deep hunk of lead. To you, it's a relic. Don't rely on target ID. Dig it all and do it with the idea that the one in 100 that is incorrect will be a winner. Besides, removing that item might reveal a gold ring or silver coin. You just never know.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21064.msg140640.html#msg140640

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 12:30:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the encouragement!! Sounds like I'm doing some things right!  Grin

How do you ground balance properly? And do you test for false returns with a control object of some sort before you begin?

Detecting

Posted on: January 30, 2011, 11:37:53 PM
Unfortunately all Utube viewing is reserved for my kiddos. I live in a rural area where broadband stops a mile and a half from my home so I am forced to use satellite ISP. Strict limit on daily usage. On weekends when I stay up late I sometimes get to watch videos from 2-6 am when limits are lifted. Although this weekend I was enthrawled in numerous articles/posts on James Gang and KGC history and lost treasures. And of course exploring this site....I've learned a lot in one day.

Posted on: January 30, 2011, 11:49:14 PM
Hello
WOW Australia! One of the only places I might one day cross an ocean to visit. Although I'd want to see the reefs and I can't swim!! Anyway...

90 degrees from horizontal... are you saying that I can use it vertically as long as the coil stays perpendicular to the ground? I want to search steep creek banks and an occasional truck/branch of 100 year old hollow trees.

For the foreseeable future I am searching timbered areas, ravines and creeks. In 20 years or so when I have exhausted my search of those areas on our property I will set in on the pasture lands. I doubt I'll find any Egyptian gold but there were many battles on the same fields during the Civil War. I went out this evening and even with snow on the ground there was a lot of underbrush to maneuver around. I know...snow..I'm crazy right...just have Spring/Treasure fever.

I have to deal with a LOT of buried barbed wire in the areas I am currently searching. I've learned to identify them by the way the run in specific lines. I did hit on a few other spots that were curious in shape but it was getting dark...until... I hit on a spot that was about 3x2 ft. Target ID showed common iron but also reproducible tones for silver and gold. I couldn't help it...I hadn't planned on digging so I grabbed a stick and began to dig. I first peeled back a rectangular sheet of tin(?). I was excited to find a flat rectangular object underneath. It felt like wood, sounded like wood.... as I cleared around the outer edge it seemed more and more like the top of a chest, ammo box, or possibly even poor man's coffin. It was dark now and I used the  flashlight on my cell phone. Long story short I pried it up from the roots and dirt only to find it was just a piece of metal. However, before I walked away I gave it one last pass and there were still faint tones for Gold and strong Silver tones. Who knows maybe I just scratched the surface! lol  Crazy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21064.msg140854.html#msg140854

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 02:31:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by amyjo
90 degrees from horizontal... are you saying that I can use it vertically as long as the coil stays perpendicular to the ground? I want to search steep creek banks and an occasional truck/branch of 100 year old hollow trees.

The orientation to the ground can be anything at all. The coil's orientation to the target is what I was referring to. Since your coil's most sensitive areas are the very middle, top and bottom of your coil, the coil itself remains horizontal to the target area which you are searching. For a tree, that would be along its trunk or limb. For the ground, the ground itself is the target area. For a wall in a house, the coil is vertical to the ground and horizontal to the wall.

The coil's field is 90 degrees to the horizontal plane of the coil. If it were a dinner plate sitting on your dining room table, the field would go straight down to your knees and straight up towards the ceiling. In a perfect world, that's how it works. In reality, there is also an area along the edge where emissions happen but in a double D coil like yours, that's minimized.

Advanced target location and pinpointing will have you moving your coil in many orientations to find an illusive target. As you learn your machine, you will learn the capability of the coils.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21064.msg140936.html#msg140936

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:33:53 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 05:19:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Waveing Thanks for the great explanation. So it detects above the coil as well. Does that mean if I lean forward over it, it could pick up jewlery I may be wearing. If so that may be what's happening with what I think are gold/silver hits below the coil.  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21064.msg140988.html#msg140988

« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 05:21:56 pm by amyjo, Reason: smiley code »
Offline rjstorlie
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 06:25:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was told to think of the coil range as an "UPSIDE DOWN ICE CREAM CONE"
If you tilt it up on one end, the point does not get into the ground.
You get a signal when the cone find metal.

Maybe the dumbest answer

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21064.msg141002.html#msg141002

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 06:32:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Waveing Thanks for the great explanation. So it detects above the coil as well. Does that mean if I lean forward over it, it could pick up jewlery I may be wearing. If so that may be what's happening with what I think are gold/silver hits below the coil.  Huh?

Yes....that is correct.    And you can use that to your advantage if you keep at least one hand free of all jewelry.   If you can't find the target, grab a handful of dirt and pass the hand over the coil.   If it beeps, the target is in your hand.  If it doesn't put the dirt on a small piece of cloth and repeat the process with another handful.  Once you've found the target and checked to make sure there isn't another target in the whole, dump the dirt back in the hole and the hole in so that no one else can tell you've been there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21064.msg141006.html#msg141006

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 02:09:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Waveing Thanks for the great explanation. So it detects above the coil as well. Does that mean if I lean forward over it, it could pick up jewlery I may be wearing. If so that may be what's happening with what I think are gold/silver hits below the coil.  Huh?

More than one old pro has been fooled by his own watch, belt buckle or steel toed shoes.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21064.msg141227.html#msg141227

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: