[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2010, 04:02:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cornelius
Golddigger . That is what Homefire said !!!!!!!!   Cornelius

No, he said that ONE of them was crystal controlled.

This is the problem with those who have only just entered into the design or analysis of metal detector technology. The earliest models of BFO machines were not crystal controlled. Then someone got the bright idea to use a crystal. Lo and behold, they were not as good as those models which drifted all over the place and tone discrimination didn't exist in that design. Today's modern, if you can call them that, BFO detectors have gone back to the unstable design.

I've been in the electronics design business for all of my adult life and late teens as a Ham Radio licensee. I know my stuff from the standpoint of education and practical use.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9197.msg81871.html#msg81871

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2010, 04:42:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just for Reference I have the following Electronics education!

High School 4 years Basic Electronic. Two years Teachers Assistant.  The last Year the Teacher took the hour off I was

there.

744 hours of basic electronics. USAF.

This included Basic Electronics and Telecommunications Including HF/Micro Wave/ Modems/ and good ol Wire Lines.

Compounded with 11 years of practical use and continued education I can deal with this.

Golddigger, I see your point on being above some folks head but I for One am willing to help them on the way.

You have to Start some Place.

A simple BFO Circuit Can Teach Basic Electronics, Mixing as in HeteroDyning, Inductance and other Basic Concepts.

This one includes xtal Resonance, And a taste of Digital circuits to boot.

Electronics changes so fast you can't and never will keep up with it.

Yes the Basics are there but it still marches on.

Yes, there are on line tutorials that can help the blind.

I would never send someone to a VLF circuit that was not able to handle the task but I don't mind helping a newbee get started.

Just Me Thoughts.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9197.msg81885.html#msg81885

Offline CorneliusTopic starter
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2010, 04:43:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Golddigger . I don't agree with you . In the discriminating BFO detector we find two oscillators  .  One for the search frequency and one for the reference . Now if the two oscillators are not stable  you have to readjust constantly  . The only thing you want is a stable reference oscillator and adjust the search frequency ( the coil ) to that . So instead of having two unknown ,,drifting ,, oscillators you only have one . I respect your education ( although I can not check it ) , but here you are wrong . With repect  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9197.msg81886.html#msg81886

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2010, 04:58:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homefire, all excellent points. When it comes to electronics, the uninitiated can believe that miracles might be performed when they simply cannot. While I believe that improvements can be made in the design of detectors, some of the questions here can be answered in a way that misleads those who don't understand what they are asking.

The case of the crystal oscillator is one. In the 1970s, it was all the rage to add them in the master oscillator and the end result was a more stable machine overall. Along with that stability came a reduction in the negative tonal response. It went to zero. Someone here gets the idea that a crystal would improve the circuitry of a BFO. Do we really let them spend countless hours to once again prove what has already been tried and discarded or do we take the high road and try our best to explain it in layman's terms?

I think we both do the latter. In different but equally effective ways. My intention in disagreeing with your assessment was to present you and others reading these forums with the historical background of the BFO as I remember it. Memory can be faulty but in this case, the modern machines (BFO modern? - Ha!) have all discarded the notion of a crystal oscillator. My favorite pinpointer is a BFO design using a ferrite antenna from an old AM radio which I built 25 years ago. Except for the battery, the entire unit is encased in potting compound. 15 or so components and a battery now inside a plastic pipe work together great.
Golddigger . I don't agree with you . In the discriminating BFO detector we find two oscillators  .  One for the search frequency and one for the reference . Now if the two oscillators are not stable  you have to readjust constantly  . The only thing you want is a stable reference oscillator and adjust the search frequency ( the coil ) to that . So instead of having two unknown ,,drifting ,, oscillators you only have one . I respect your education ( although I can not check it ) , but here you are wrong . With repect  Cornelius

The stability is a red herring. That was the original theory behind adding the crystal but, as I have stated earlier, it eliminated the negative side of the beat frequency. Modern design uses de-tuned phase locked loops and comparators to accomplish the stability and keep the circuitry tuned properly while also allowing full tone discrimination.

You don't need to verify my education. To even suggest that tells me a few things about you. Not good.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9197.msg81890.html#msg81890

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline CorneliusTopic starter
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2010, 05:04:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Golddigger you are not picking a fight are you ?  What does the name  ,, reference ,, oscillator  mean to you ?  Just a question !   Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9197.msg81892.html#msg81892

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2010, 06:41:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger.

If I have a REFERANCE OSC that is stable within 5 PPM   Yes Parts Per Million and Stable.   My Detection of Heterodyne Products would be more accurate.  Both Osc may or may not Drift in the same fashion.

The Freq swing of the Coil Osc caused by Inductance would be more true.

It will still show the More conductance of say Iron and the Less Conductance of Aluminum or Gold.   (MAGNETICES HERE)

It would function the same as the Old School type without having to adjust every 5 minutes.

The only Variable would be the Search Coil and associated Osc.

Even two Colpitt Osc Built with the same parts will not Drift in freq the same.

One has a external coil and the other a internal to the case.  Temp Differentials would preclude that.

BFO is most simple and works.

I use one when gold panning to find Black sand deposits in hopes of finding gold.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9197.msg81926.html#msg81926

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Homefire, the issue is that BFO requires, not just likes, the sympathetic oscillations that occur between drifting oscillators. Using de-tuned PLLs and Comparators takes care of the drift better than a crystal oscillator and still allows proper operation. This isn't theory any more. Patents have been issued on this and recently designed BFO machines use this method.

Bear in mind that I am not disputing ANYTHING you write here but you are not allowing for the fact that there are OTHER means to accomplish things of which you might be unaware. The wisest choice in this sort of discussion is to simply look it up.

What do you want me to do? Ignore current design and just roll over so you can incorrectly inform people that YOUR way is the ONLY way? At least I admit that the old ways work while simply informing you that there are new ways. New ways which I have not declared to be better. Just different. I leave the better or worse decision to those who use the circuitry.
Golddigger you are not picking a fight are you ?  What does the name  ,, reference ,, oscillator  mean to you ?  Just a question !   Cornelius

I'm not picking a fight with you at all. Never have. However, you seem happy to take pokes at me from a position of not understanding what I am talking about.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9197.msg81941.html#msg81941

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2010, 09:05:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

WoW!   I would rather deal with one drift then two.

Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9197.msg81954.html#msg81954

Offline darkkitten2000
Bronze Member

Thank you17

Activity
0%

Slovenia

1005.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Miner4 eeTH
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2010, 04:25:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,

hmm, i do not know where this is heading, beeing only a chemist my background in electronics is far inferior compared to you, guys, but even i understand a crystal conntrolled oscilator is better than a free running LC, what i do not understand is what would be a practical benefit of improving the reference oscilator in this circuit while the original one serves the purpose wery well. There is next to none frequency pooling (locking in) between the two oscilators and the reference is quite robust as is. The circuit looks well designed, oscilators are well "isolated" it will run without readjusting for a fairly long period (not counting the temperature infuence), and a very small change in frequency of searching osc is noticable. The unit is fairly sensitiv. Those are obviously not the problems of this unit, are they?

Would an old fashioned design really worked better as GD implied? I still have a beginer's few transistor  BFO i have made some 30 yares ago, as a kid. O.K. I cleaned the dust off it, put in a new battery and off we go! Now first adjusting the iron core or reference OSC coil to zero audiable and further more to some slow changing oscilations. Putting the searching coil to the ground and there is no audiable ground effect. Bringing the coil next to diamagnetic matter, it sure increases the frequency but the two oscilators are pretty much locked in and the frequency of REF OSC is pushed up as well, so no audiable is heard. This looks like a better behaviour, but wait, now i put a small target (i.e. 2 Euro cent coin) to the ground and sweep the coil a cm or two over it. Guess what happened. The oscilators are quite locked in and no audiable change is heard. The Cornelius' design is much finer and will clearly pick up this target, however, the change will be in the same magnitude as the frequency variations due to changing distance between ground (diamagnetic matter) and the coil, thus difficult to identify unless you know it is there. I'll let you decide which is performing better.

And i owe you one concerning "veneral" BFOs. I use to have an old military detector, i gave on to neighbour kids, that was quite veneral. Since these devices are now obsolete and no longer in military use they are sold as surpluse for some EUR 50 or so, i intend to buy another one, but i am looking for a  later model where electronics was not potted in plastic, to do some reverse. The unit was capable of reporting targets up to some 30 cm deep, not more, but was very sensitive to small items, capable of picking up 1 cm long piece of thin wire (from obvious reasones) and rock solid stabil, of course, ground effect cancelation. No discrimination. The circuit was remarkable simple few transistor design, but the search coil itself was tricky.  A large main coil, many windings of thin wire, on an transformer like iron core in a form of stick, with two sets of auxilary coils at both ends winded ortogonal to the main coil, every one carefuly tuned by a small ferrite core. The main coil and the two sets was ran from three ferrite pot transformers with some few hundred volts apperantly at a fixed frequency. By adjusting of driving transformers primary current the two auxilary coil sets tunes the main coil in inductively. Putting the probe to the ground, both auxilary sets and main coil is affected the same and it is cancelled out, but bringing one single auxilary coil out of balance and the unit will give the clear report.

regards,
d.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9197.msg81982.html#msg81982

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2010, 04:43:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi guys

Well first let me say thanks to Darkkitten for the info and also that I?m using Dip Trace for my PCB and schematic designing. I understand what GD is saying about the crystal not being a good plane for the BFO as both oscillators have to drift in order to be able to have a frequency change for non ferrous and for ferrous metals the way that I understand what GD is saying is that the ferrous will pull the one coil down while OK now GD I also have a problem with what you are saying if the reference oscillator is table (looked) and I decrease or increase the frequency of my coil oscillator then they are out of balance and the detector must indicate a positive or negative change for ferrous or non ferrous metals so why do you say that it will only work in one direction? Like for ferrous and not for non ferrous metals.

Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9197.msg82149.html#msg82149

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
Jump to: