[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline rcf-jrTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:55:24 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cache hunting is metal detecting on steroids.  The digging of not one coin but a hoard of clinking cash.  This goes far beyond the norm of metal detecting and it takes a special type of individual to master no just the detector itself but the additional skill and patients that's required.

All across America people were living and conducting commerce all without banks, checks, or credit cards for hundreds of years.  Yes, cash was king.  But where was all this cash when not in play?  Who could you trust?  How safe was safe?

Looking back a few years ago families were rigidly structured intidies.  The male was the keeper of the castle and dare none to object.  That is not without saying the wife, or significant other, didn't have other suggestions, especially when it came to money.

In those days if the male died, left, or was a little to much to handle, the woman had to survive.  My grandmother told me that in her day wives would always try to build up a cash reserve of their own.  They would not think of it as stealing but a sort of personal banking, it was money still in the family.  Her banking deposites usually occured in the house, chicken coop, or other location she could frequent without suspicion.

On the other hand, the husband was in control of the family wealth.  Small or large he had to protect the families nest egg.  No banks, or trust in them, he had to find a safe place to hold his money while he conducted his daily activities.  This place had to be where he could go to without suspicion, away from a snoopy wife and inquisitive children, and he himself could easily view during his daily actvities, he was his own security guard.

So goes old grandpa and granma stashing away cash.  But the catch was that when they would pass away what happend to the goody boxes?  Now I am not saying that there are two caches in every homestead.  But a women did not trust the man as much as you migh think.  And I don't think the man trusted to his wife the location of his little stash.

When looking for these caches you must have patients.  It is not like going to the park and every three feet a ping.  You are looking for a needle in a hay stack.  This hay stack can be big or small depending on the skill of the hunter.  The skill is in thinking like old grandpa and grandma and reading about where other hunters have found their caches.  Soon you will start to get the mindset into this unique type of treasure hunting.

When you have done this for a while you will begin to see yourself going into automatic mode everytime you walk into a house or barn.  It might be just visiting friends, but you will be seeing those hiding places in plain sight.  It will take all you have not to investigate the fireplace mantel while everyone else is eating dinner in the dinning room or just kicking the baseboards.

Women have had their hands on ever inch of their houses.  You would be surprised on how well they know their house after cleaning it for just a few years.  And the man in his tool shed could build a special place for his own 401K.  They were not playing games when it came to their money and it would be up to you not to treat this as a game.  For if you win, you are not paid in Monopoly money.

Why are successful cache hunters so good at what they do?  I like to use what is above my shoulders and I have learned to be patient early on.  Read and talk with outhers that share the same passion for this endeavor.  Reality is when you are detecting old homesteads the coins you find are few if any at all.  The coins are in the cache.  FIND THE CACHE!

Treasure Hunters are green, we are recycling.
-Roy-

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20962.msg139516.html#msg139516

Offline Bugar
Silver Member

IF IT BEEPS=DIGIT
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Scorpion,Garrett Master Hunter,And Garrett Scorpion #2
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:09:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great post=THANKS Teach

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20962.msg139518.html#msg139518

If It Beeps=DIGIT

Offline Rack Man
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 06:32:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well said...
I know you're mentioning Grandma and Grandpa hiding $$$...but MY wife thinks I hide money in the backyard in coffee cans even today!  Little does she know it's well hidden in my workshop...in the coffee cans in plain sight! Hasn't found it yet... :Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20962.msg139603.html#msg139603

Offline RMILLER66
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whies,Minelab
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:26:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great post.
Another thing to consider is the profession of of the man.
I have a friend that is a drywall-er.
One day when I was at his house I noticed a two by two hole in his wall right behind and above the toilet in his Everybody bathroom.
I asked him if he had had a plumbing problem and he said ''NO I had to get some cash out" He hides all his spare cash in his walls....and you would never think it was there!
Farmers of course had azillion places to hide things in plain site.
When I was a kid my friends parents bought a block of property with several acres of almond trees on it and a run down house.
Their plan was to cut down all of the tree's,sell the wood and make room for a housing track.
As the tree's were coming down and being cut up,one of the trees that was facing the front of the house had over a 100 gold coins hidden inside one of the knott holes...I ALWAYS detect old tree's,especialling around old buildings.
My friends parents contacted the old owners and told them what they had found and one of the sons said ''that they always new that their dad hid money buy that they could never find it''.

Like the mason's a lot of treasure is in plain site you just have to see it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20962.msg139685.html#msg139685

Offline dav
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:46:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

You're talking about my grandparents.
People today think that practice was unusual, and only entered into by a few eccentrics. After 1929, it was a long time before people went back to banks, and some folsk never did. My grandparents had a store, and when we moved grandmother out after grandpa died, we found boxes of loot. The only thing we didn't find was confederate money.

Minorities (primarily African -Americans and natives) in the south didn't have much to do with banks either, before and after the depression.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20962.msg139774.html#msg139774

Offline RMILLER66
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whies,Minelab
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:59:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah paper money is tricky.Walls,attics behind pictures etc.
When my aunt died they found that she had rolled up cash and had put it in the tips of her shoes.

Your right about minorities not being welcome or trusting banks.I read a story about people burying money in cemeteries or family grave sites next to loved ones stones because no one would ever think to dig there.And when burying or retrieving money it would just look like they were cleaning up around the grave site if someone was to come up on them.Plus in a grave yard there is a kinda unspoken respect to keep your distance from others when you can.

I heard a story one time of a hoard of coins being found when a merchant store was torn down.Apparently the store owner had a wood drum placed under a crack in the floor behind the counter.He would throw a few coins in when he felt the need and over the years it filled up.
Maybe you could check around your grandparents old shop if you still have access?You figure that they spent more than a third of their lives there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20962.msg139799.html#msg139799

Offline rcf-jrTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 01:45:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Paper money might seem tricky at first.  Then you realize that the older generation knew critters would consume there money faster than Uncle Sam.  Most all paper money I have recovered was inside a container that was either made of metal or at least the lid was metal.  All the others were tucked away in compartments.  These compartments were not found with the medal detector but by just searching.

Thanks for the additional information for it is welcomed.  It got me thinking a little different on a few things I had not considered.  It brings back memories of me and some fellow hunters having a few sips of Southern Comfort and discussing this very topic.  They are gone now and it is nice to go down memory lane.  And to top it off, I just had a few sips.

I wonder if this is going to be like the other activities the younger generation is not following up on.  It would be a shame if they don't have experiences that create a lifetime of great memories.  I remember the first cache I found, and without a metal detector.  A brass flashlight packed with a roll of twenty dollar bills and a few 2 dollar bills.  I still get a pucker thinking about that cherry experience.

I'll take this over rap any day,
-Roy-

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20962.msg139812.html#msg139812

Offline halfdollor
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

520.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

WHITES MXT PRO
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 12:42:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Detecting thanks for the info very post

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20962.msg140717.html#msg140717

Offline tommyb
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

91.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 01:24:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Look for old chimney foundations. Homes often burned down leaving only the door steps or chimney foundations as sort of a tombstone for the ages.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20962.msg140724.html#msg140724

Offline RMILLER66
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whies,Minelab
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 10:11:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

100 proof white label Southern Comfort...Now that brings back memories.

Your right paper money is tricky.

I was reading Karl Von Mueller's Treasure Manual #7 and he covered a lot of really great hiding places like inside a toilet paper roll or a shower curtain rod,outdoor fountain pedestal etc.
Everything in plain site.

I have often thought about the younger generation of treasure hunters and detectorest.
Will they have the same drive or passion to do the research or master their detector?
To explore caves or put themselves in the middle of nowhere for days at a time?
What will be their spark to persue on these kinds of adventures with no guarantee of success?

I was born in 64 so I still saw a lot of silver coins growing up as my parents owned a couple of mom and pop food stores.
But what about kids 20 years from now?
Other than seeing a piece of silver in circulation every few years at best,will they even catch the treasure bug?

The problems that I see for the next or any other generations of people presuing this hobby or life style is all the misleading ads and BS surrounding treasure hunting or detecting.

Look at all the rehashed information that is out there based on or taken directly from KVM books and mutilated or all of the false advertising you see on products that promise to deliver the world.

Look at the stuff places like kellyco push to make a sale.OKM,Nokta etc.
Massive false and misleading advertising on products that don't do as they are advertised!

And how can a newbee not trust a company that has been in business for over half a century?

The problem I see is that this and the generations to come will fall victim to these products that they pay their hard earned money for and they won't work and they will flat out just quit.
Another problem is a lot of the newbies coming in buy a product with high hopes of making this their new hobby or new life style with no one to teach them how to use their new piece of equipment,least of all master it.

When failure sets in they quit and don't look back.

Look at EBay and you will find countless detector sale listings reading.....Bought from kellyco used twice,Or something along those lines.

I don't have the answer,maybe re bundle and make available the REAL information about this hobby that has slowly been faded out or secreted by the few?
Push for full hands-on instruction to manufacturers on DVD etc.on their products instead of trying to figure out a manual or having to buy or rely on some after market book or DVD?

Put people back on the right path.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,20962.msg141485.html#msg141485

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: