[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Smokin_CacheTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:36:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Have read the story in a couple of different places with very subtle differences.

Lived ten miles north of Searcy, AR

Buried gold and silver in either a plowed field near home or in freshly plowed garden near home.

Either many jars or two jars one of silver and one of gold.

Buried due to civil war.

Of course could not find it after war was over.

Neighbors seen him digging looking for it.

I grew up about 40 miles north of Searcy. Know the area of this story very well. never heard of it before.

Smokin_Cache

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg76850.html#msg76850

Offline td479
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Cobra Beach Magnet
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:28:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What legend are you talking about and do you know of anymore in the Ozarks?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg79486.html#msg79486

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 11:43:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

I will look it up and post in the next few days.

The disk is at work I will post it Tues.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg79700.html#msg79700

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 01:50:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Looking forward to seeing this and to possibly researching it in more depth.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg80328.html#msg80328

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:37:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am trying to find the lead. Sorry for the delay. I will say the article doesn't say much more than I did if anything.
TD479 you may also want to check out

Please Register or Login

www.freewebs.com/arkansastreasurehunters

Does anyone have a Kellyco treasure lead disk that they give away with their detectors? The story is on it. My disc was on my desk last week and I am thinking one of the guys that seems semi interested in getting a detector borrowed it. I read the story online before I got the disk, but I am having trouble finding it.
Found it and bought it. I amguessing since I bought it and I am including all the info it's OK to post here. If not let me know.

Lost Cache Of Ozark Gold
By Ray D. Rains
From page 15 of the May, 1976 issue of Lost Treasure
Copyright ? 1976 Lost Treasure, Inc. all rights reserved
An abandoned garden in Arkansas may have $20,000 in gold coins planted in it, but
permission to try to harvest this unusual crop may be difficult to get. I was allowed
by the owners to photograph the dilapi-dated old farmhouse in front of the garden,
but was denied permission to hunt for the treasure, which on todays collectors
market might be worth $200,000 or more.
The story concerning the buried
cache started in Mississippi where, in 1852, prosperous planter John Boggs decided
that the slave labor which had gained him wealth over the preceding 12 years was
immoral. He sold his land and slaves as a re-sult of his religious convictions and left
Mississippi. He headed for the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas, where slavery was not
regarded as a necessity.
He settled on a farm a short dis-tance from what is today State High-way 16, about
10 miles north of Searcy. Tradition says that his for-tune had increased to nearly
$40,000 by the outbreak of the Civil War. He had developed and almost manic
obsession with gold, and refused to sell his cotton to anyone unless pay-ment was
made in gold. And the gold was all kept on the farm.
By the spring of 1862, Federal troops were frequenting the area, foraging
commodities from farms in northern White County. The strag-gling soldiers raided
ruthlessly, con-fiscating anything that could be turned into hard cash or provisions.
Boggs received more than his share of these indignities, he felt. First, he lost the
contents of his smokehouse and barn, along with two fat cows and two of his best
mules. But then, worst of all, three privates interrogated his wife ex-tensively about
his wealth. When he heard this, Boggs flew into a rage, cursing the soldiers and
threatening them until a captain struck him across the face with his quirt.
Realizing that his troubles were not over, Boggs was on the verge of mental
collapse. The soldiers stopped to camp less than a mile south of his farm. Still
fearful, he expected a visit from the raiders at any time that night. In an effort to
salvage his fortune, he proportioned his gold into containers, believed to have been
fruit jars, and prepared to bury them for safety. Unfortunately, darkness came
before he could fin-ish his task.
The night devastated the man. He hastily tried to bury the containers in the freshly
plowed garden and in his panic, strewed them about. In all probability, those which
he did
not bury in the sandy loam were far deeper than he later remembered. It was
thought that he lost track of at least half of the $40,000. The strain on him was so
great that for the rest of his life he was unable to cope with minimal problems.
For many years after the war it was reported that the old man was seen digging inand around the gar-den by lantern light. As the years passed, the digging declined.
But so far as neighbors knew, he never re-covered any of his lost gold.
The Boggs family sold the proper-ty. and in 1890 and on through the depression
years many unsuccessful attempts were made to recover the buried treasure. One
miserly old man bought the farm purposely to retrieve the hoard, but died defeated
in his purpose and several hundred dollars poorer.
Today, the ruins of the old house
stand peacefully in a grove of cedars near State Highway 305, a mile from State
Highway 16. The house is used as a hay barn. Perhaps its
destiny is more than a barn. Per-haps it is to guard the hiding place of John Boggs
golden hoard. Ray D. Rains
I don't like how this forum keeps stacking the posts with no indication of it being a new post. Anyway Found some issues with story

SH 305 does not come within a mile of SH 16. Need to find a 1976 AR road map because I think maybe something got crossed up in the story.

SH 305 runs between SH 31 and SH 36 south and west of Searcy. If you travel west on SH 36 from 305 the next SH is 310. SH 310 does end at SH 16 at about the 10 mile mark from Searcy. At about 1 mile from the road I can see what I think is a cedar stand.

I know a few people that live in this area. I am going to see if I can get more info over the next few months. I have to amke a trip home soon to take my Mom for a plane ride. I think I will do some crusing in the area. We usually fly 16 to Heber Spring anyway.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg80465.html#msg80465

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:23:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Smokin',  things are working as designed.....as long as you are the first one to reply to your posting, your additional comments will get appended to the post.  (Occassionally, if we notice that someone is getting a really long post because they've been adding to it without anyone else adding anything, it's nice for someone to jump in with a comment just to provide a break between the parts).

You need at least a 1976 Arkansas road map, and maybe an even earlier one.  Road alignments do change over time ( I can show several radically different alignments for Rte 66---so a person's account of something being near Rt66 might have been accurate when the action occurred but be 20-30 miles off when someone else got around to investigating)......But you're following the right approach---look for the holes that will disprove the story unless they can be explained.   That is as important as looking for the little details that can be confirmed.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg80476.html#msg80476

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

970.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 04:39:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK! Just a little of where SH 310 meets SH 16 there is a road named Dewey RD. I have found a reference that also lists it as SR 305!!! If you set a waypoint 1 mile from Hwy 16 on Dewey/SR305 that waypoint is approximately 10 miles from the old town square in Searcy so all that adds up to being the correct location.

Now I have a hard time believing that all those people looked for it and found nothing.

This one does peak my interest the most out of any I have read though. I guess mainly due to the nieghbor reports of him looking for it for many years.

I have a hard time with legends told from a death bed. I once was standing next to someone on thier death bed and yes they had a secret to tell me. They proceeded to tell me that they used to fly jets for Hogan's Heros. Now what if they had told me they had hit thier life savings somewhere. Well we would have another treasure legend just that fast. The mind can play some funny tricks on us when we are are looking death in the face.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg80657.html#msg80657

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 04:46:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

a well-tuned BS detector is a must have.....but when it comes to "all those people who looked for it and found nothing" it could be because:
1) it was never there to begin with
2) it was there and someone found it and never told anyone
3) it was there and someone found it and reported it and the report got buried/lost/ignored (I know that one has happened--finding the lost report saved me from wasting a lot of time looking for something that had been lost 120 years ago)
4) it was there and is still there, but everyone was either reading the clues wrong or missing something----possibly because what they were seeing didn't fit with what they expected to see.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg80662.html#msg80662

Offline td479
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Cobra Beach Magnet
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 07:18:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the info. Im in Huntsville, AR, where are you at. Trying to find an old road map no luck yet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg81231.html#msg81231

Offline upsmanpa
Silver Member

Life's A Garden Dig It!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 09:08:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats a great story. At Gettysburg there was a story about a farmer that had his money hid I think it was a tree stump and its was about $13,000 or so and the confederates found it and the farmer was out of luck! $13,000 in 1863 was a LOT of money back then. I wonder what that would translate into todays econemy?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11912.msg81253.html#msg81253

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: