[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 11:16:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cyberborikua
I like dogs and owned one, but I respectfully disagree! Consider that dogs are not all friendly and/or trained so as to run free where people gather for recreation. In Chicago, and pretty sure in many cities in the US, dogs must be on-leash in public places, unless otherwise stated. There are nine dogs-friendly parks in Chicago (including a beach), but owners must obtain a permit to let their dogs off-leash in the designated areas within these parks. They are also responsible for making sure their dogs are vaccinated against contagious diseases. Hefty fines for the owner if walking a dog off-leash, let alone law suits if it bites someone or even another dog. Some parks have enclosures for dogs wherein they can stretch and run and also play with other dogs. Public parks are designed for people's recreational needs, including metal detecting, so I don't see a reason to refrain myself from doing so in parks just because dog owners decide to let their dogs run free illegaly. If not, where am I going to find my clad?  Grin

Reference:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

Too many laws. The more you try to disagree, the more you prove my point.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19052.msg126230.html#msg126230

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline wolfy
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

4115.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites DFX, M6
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 03:18:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry but it's not working I'm sure you have total control over your pet theres many who just don't and never will.  Sad
Wolfy
 Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19052.msg126249.html#msg126249

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 03:49:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by wolfy
Sorry but it's not working I'm sure you have total control over your pet theres many who just don't and never will.  Sad
Wolfy
 Detecting

I agree but the laws don't stop dogs from being vicious. There are laws against burglary but there were burglaries last week. There are laws against speeding yet people still speed. There are laws against murder yet people still murder.

It's not stopping the crimes that I am opposed to. It's the extra laws. In spite of a law against burglary, there are now laws against home invasion which is a burglary when you are home. There are laws against different degrees of speeding and the taking of a life. Still, all are against the law. Extra laws have no effect.

There are laws against letting a vicious dog run free and still there are maulings by dogs. I say punish the dog owner not every other dog who obeys the rules of common society for which he or she has been trained.

By the way, this thread was about out of control kids making life miserable for a detector user. They should be well aware of the laws governing their behavior yet look at what they feel free to do.

A few months ago, a group of kids was playing with a soccer ball and kicked it towards my dog who joined in the fun. I was watching to be sure he didn't get carried away near some smaller children when one of the youths kicked the ball hard at the dog causing him to yelp in pain. There were high fives and laughing with each other over hitting the dog and I hollered at them to knock it off.

When I told them sternly to leave the dog alone, they started abusing me verbally telling me there was nothing I could do. "What are you going to do? Hit me? Go ahead and I'll call the police." That was their response. When they kicked the ball again, I grabbed it and walked all the way across the park. As they demanded their ball, I asked them, "What are you going to do? Hit me? Go ahead. I'll call the police." I proceeded to throw the ball into the dense branches of a tall tree where it came to rest about half way up. They have never bothered me again. I doubt that they ever will.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19052.msg126255.html#msg126255

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 04:00:42 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 07:50:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

GD has a point. There are laws for everything and everyone, but some people just ignore them. The other day a friendly dog came to me and was really playful and it even slabbered on my face  Undecided . The owner quickly came to me nervously and asked if I was ok and apologized for the dog's actions. I did not get upset or anything and responded that she had a beautiful, friendly dog. I mean, dogs are everywhere with their owners. There is no park or forest preserve you could detect without seeing at least a couple of them. And yes, they are all for the most part running free. Parks and forests are the places by excellence that I'd say 100% of us look forward to getting the best finds. Should we stop or avoid coming to those fabulous, clad rich, places due to dogs, burglars or nauty kids? I don't think anybody would agree with it. There is a risk for everything we do in life. Dealing with dogs, people, and other issues is one of them. When those kids bullied on me, I felt like taking their bicycles and slash their wheels with my knife, but of course I know I'd never do that for it would cause more trouble. I decided to leave and forget about it.  Violent

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19052.msg126280.html#msg126280

Offline mfitzs70
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

820.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 11:42:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

The last couple of posts make some interesting points. GD talked about an incident where some children injured his dog and thought it was funny. So as a reaction the owner of the dog became concerned/upset and hollered and took the children's ball and threw it into  a tree to make a point. So back to the original post about bullying ,who's the bully. I believe there are two there. The dog was a victim as well as the tree and the soccer ball. Is throwing the ball in a tree really teaching the kids to behave properly in today's society? The kids only see their ball thrown in a tree by an old man. Approach the kids and they would stop the high fiving.Then ask them if they thought it was cute what they were all laughing about. Take the ball and fake throw it at them ( still hold the ball of course) watch them jerk back. That would be more of a learning lesson. Now we as humans are supposed to be educated and get along but that as shown above does not happen. Dogs learn from their owners....wonder if GD has a soccer ball in his tree thrown there by his dog......

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19052.msg126316.html#msg126316

Offline DavidR
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 01:13:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yep! It is gangs and being robbed that has change on how I do parks. Now I look around more to see who watching and the finds out of sight. So far it is working and no problems.
David

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19052.msg126327.html#msg126327

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 01:23:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hey cyber,if ya need to scare those kids off call yer buddy bomber ,i've never had a problem maybe its the drool,one eye,one tooth and all around nasty disposition that keeps them away Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19052.msg126330.html#msg126330

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 01:51:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by mfitzs70
The last couple of posts make some interesting points. GD talked about an incident where some children injured his dog and thought it was funny. So as a reaction the owner of the dog became concerned/upset and hollered and took the children's ball and threw it into  a tree to make a point. So back to the original post about bullying ,who's the bully. I believe there are two there. The dog was a victim as well as the tree and the soccer ball. Is throwing the ball in a tree really teaching the kids to behave properly in today's society? The kids only see their ball thrown in a tree by an old man. Approach the kids and they would stop the high fiving.Then ask them if they thought it was cute what they were all laughing about. Take the ball and fake throw it at them ( still hold the ball of course) watch them jerk back. That would be more of a learning lesson. Now we as humans are supposed to be educated and get along but that as shown above does not happen. Dogs learn from their owners....wonder if GD has a soccer ball in his tree thrown there by his dog......

That was me. I threw the ball in the tree. Had the kids not acted as they did, I would never do such a thing. They were intending to continue harassing my dog and I took their ball. Too bad for them they met up with someone who possesses a spine. I still see them every Sunday morning. Now, however, they leave me alone. With good reason.

Since I slowly, deliberately, fearlessly took action, they knew full well I meant business. That's not bullying. Bullying is when you do it for spite and pure meanness. I took a weapon away from some kids. I do hope that doesn't upset you. I did give it back but they had to work for it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19052.msg126335.html#msg126335

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:54:39 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 07:01:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wow, wow  Shocked Being robbed while detecting must be a horrible experience and being bullied by gangs is even worst. There are parks here in Chicago that although beautiful are not located in the best places precisely. Those parks I imagine must have tons of good things, but who dares to detect there without the high risk of being attacked?   Club Thank you for sharing

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19052.msg126374.html#msg126374

Offline frazdad
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

910.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Classic III, Fisher F2
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 08:17:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This is the problem with living in a big city. Some of these parks are not worth the risk. Even with a buddy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19052.msg126379.html#msg126379

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: