[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline lostWondererTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Arab Emirates
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:06:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all Hello,

I am starting to pull my hair out because of this fine sand.
I am having trouble separating fine sand from fine gold, please see images. And i am using blue bowl for this and it struggles with separating.
i cant afford the gold wave mill table at the moment since its out of my budget.
Are there any special technique in which i can use to seperate the fine sand from gold using blue bowl?
i started with very low speed, and fed it very slowly but it stayed in the outer rim when i tried to raise the speed very little and then i started to see all the sand disappearing slowly with the gold. i can't seem to hold the gold in the bowl.
Please help me Idea
Thanks in advance

B/

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47220.msg259607.html#msg259607

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

fine grain 2.jpg
very fine grain.jpg

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:10:05 pm by lostWonderer »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 03:41:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Judging by your pictures, you need to pan the slurry some more. You have far too much sand left to begin fine gold separation. I'm guessing that you are sort of new to this panning game.

It's all right. Your next step is quite easy. Add some water to the pan, get the slurry moving so it makes the water cloudy. Move it around good without letting any spill out. Then, pause and stop moving the pan for about 3 seconds and pour out the top inch or two of water. Add more water, repeat. Do that until you are down to granular sand, not muck. An experienced panner can get this down to a very small amount of sand left.

Since you are just beginning and may make a few mistakes along the way, let your spill go into a 5 gallon bucket just to catch any minor errors in technique. Have fun and stay as jazzed as you are right now. This is a really fun hobby.

Posted on: May 31, 2013, 11:40:16 PM
By the way, if your spill bucket gets full, just tip out the top water. You won't lose any gold. If you have limited water with you, you can even use that water to continue panning.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47220.msg259610.html#msg259610

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 04:09:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That was my Thought too!   It's not even panned out yet.

You should have nothing but Heavies.   Black sands if there is any (Not All Grounds with Gold Have Black Sands)  at least down to the Garnet or other heavy Sands and Gold.

All That Blond stuff should be all but Gone.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47220.msg259611.html#msg259611

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Arab Emirates

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 04:29:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for moving the post to the right place and also thanks for your reply Golddigger.

You were right i am a beginner in this panning game. Homefire i will do what Golddigger stated in previous post tomorrow when i go back to the location.
Apart from sand i also have access to loads of metamorphic rocks with good amount of gold and it has been roasted.
But how do you think i should proceed to extract it?
we dont have jaw crusher or any other type of rock crushers.
But i can hammer it down in a metal bowl, and put it into a big wide bucket with water and rotate the water to create a vortex so the gold can concentrate to center then let the top water out. do you think this is a good way to go about it? If you need i can upload the images of the rocks in my hand now.
Sorry if its confusing Smiley
Thanks
B/

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47220.msg259614.html#msg259614

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:32:20 pm by lostWonderer »
Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 12:28:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi LostWanderer,

Got a few questons for you.

1) Did you determine that it is actually gold in that very fine sand? If so, what method of identifying gold did you use?
I ask this because there are minerals like mica and pyrite which resemble gold, but are not as dense as gold. If your blue bowl was set up correctly, mica would be easily carried off along with the other lighter materials.

2) Did you screen or perform any panning on the material or was it put into the blue bowl in the same condition as it came from the ground?  Did you pre-wet the fine sand before putting it in the blue bowl, and add a surfactant to break the surface tension? Did you put in the recommended amount of material into the blue bowl as per instructions before turning on the water?

3) It's a bit difficult to make out in the photos, but is it sand or powdery silt?

If you are sure that you have gold in that soil, and that soil is more like a very fine powder, it is important for you to screen it. The recommended screen mesh sizes are in the blue bowl's operating instructions. The blue bowl works best when the material you put in is more or less of uniform size. Attached is a photo of the label on one of my screens. I have to use this when dealing with micro-fine gold that is mixed with a very fine river silt, and yes it's a lot of work, but very fun!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47220.msg259628.html#msg259628

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

P1010281.jpg

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Arab Emirates

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 06:41:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for your reply Hobbyist,

To answer the questions:

1- I did not use any methods of identifying the gold as i have an old man that is a geologist and he has assured me that it's gold.

2- Ill be honest with you, i put it straight into the bowl from ground. but i did pre-wet and using spoon feeding it while the water is running.
Gold digger said that i had to pan it down more as i will try that today before putting back into the bluebowl.
And yes as far as instruction goes i have followed it well. Although it has been mentioned that the valve has to be away from the bowl in order not to disturb the flow of water.

3- Again ill be honest i think its very fine sand and we don't have access to classifiers we use the food meshes lol but its fine mesh i think its a 100 mesh.

I am very new in gold extractions. i had passion for it for years but had no idea where or how to start till this old man came along and took me to locations where it has gold.....and lots of gold lol. but he had no means to extract them because he is from villages and had no access to internet and also what technologies are available. he is godsend for me and im godsend for him lol.
I was thinking of micron mill wave table for the fine sand but for now we gotta make some cash in order to purchase more expensive equipments for bigger quantity.
I have blue bowl, Garret panning kit and 2KG induction furnace in my possession to start the gold venture.
Do you think that is enough to start with? 
Thanks
Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47220.msg259639.html#msg259639

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 06:58:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
Did you determine that it is actually gold in that very fine sand?

He clearly has not gotten to that point yet. Seeing the flecks that look like gold is the first step. Getting them isolated is the second and he's not close yet. But you are correct in asking this question. Short of plucking one grain out and assaying it, there's not much he can do until he gets down to the fines.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47220.msg259640.html#msg259640

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 07:58:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'm keeping an eye on this one, could get very interesting 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47220.msg259646.html#msg259646

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 10:15:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Lostwanderer,

Well if the old man is a qualified geologist, then he should know what he's talking about, and you should have gold-bearing soil. I'm just a hobbyist Cheesy I think you have enough equipment for the time being to start generating income, and it is wise of you to take it step by step. Maybe one day I'll have a wave table too!

Since your earlier attempt at using the blue bowl was using unscreened material straight from the ground, why not give it another try using material you have screened to 100 mesh with the food sieves? You may get better results this time. As for panning, don't forget to season your Garrett pans. there are many instructional videos on panning in youtube.com if you wish to view. One item I can suggest is a gold test kit comprising of a streak plate and acid formulations to test for various levels of purity. Good luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47220.msg259653.html#msg259653

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Arab Emirates

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 09:44:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you all for your replies, Smiley

we have decided to leave the fine sand aside till we get wave table Angry.
its too much hassle for us since there are better alternatives to extract gold.

But we did manage to get our hand on grey clay within the red clay (like red dirt) and it had gold in all mesh size, we used 2 big buckets to separate useless to get to the cons, and the results were beautiful, i will be uploading images when i get the chance. the amount of gold we got from about 60-70 grams from about 20 kilos of dirt but it had about %15 silver in the cons.
We will be cleaning up more cons before putting it in furnace to see more results Amen.
But i dont know what the grey clay that is found among red dirt or clay is called in order for me to do more researches on it, i heard it has diamonds and other  minerals in the right locations where grey clay is found.
do you think this good amount. Im sorry for sounding like a....... Idiot
Thanks lol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47220.msg259730.html#msg259730

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: