[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 12:56:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cccalco, in the past I have found alleged transcriptions that were just full of errors. In researching Border Field Park in San Diego, some articles were transcribed by paraphrasing and updating of language and grammar. This had the strange effect of changing the meaning of many reported events. Couple that with the fact that a lot of news stories are hyperbole and you have the potential for a great amount of incorrect information. There is no guarantee that a newspaper of any period is accurate. In fact, unlike today's on line version, retractions and corrections often occurred days or weeks after the original article.

Always treat every lead as if it is incorrect. Keep looking for your answers.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10569.msg72305.html#msg72305

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 01:15:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cccalco,
           GD brings up a really valid point when he says "unlike today's on line version, retractions and corrections often occurred days or weeks after the original article."
           Too often people stop searching through the papers after they find what they think they are looking for.   They really should read through at least several more issues just to make sure.    A case that I can personally point to involves the legend that a safe was swept away from Fool's Gulch and never recovered when the dam at Walnut Creek broke and destroyed Wickenburg, Arizona in 1890.   This legend has appeared in many Treasure Hunting magazines, books, and websites over the years.  Since I live in the area, I thought the safe might be worth looking for......so after confirming some of the details with a set of topographic maps, I went to the Phoenix Public Library and started reading the microfilm copies of the Phoenix and Prescott newspapers for that period.  It did not take me long to verify that the safe had actually been swept away and had not been found (at the time the report was written).  Even better, the information about the safe came from Yavapai County Sheriff Buckey O'Neill, who together with the Maricopa County sheriff who had accompanied him brought the first detailed reports of the flood to Phoenix.   For various reasons' I considered Buckey O'Neill's word to be gold on the subject (and I still do)....Needless to say I really got excited about the prospects.   And the more I read, the more excited I got---Until I got to a flood update 10 to 14 days later where Sheriff Buckey O'Neill reported that the missing safe had been recovered a few days before.....End of my hunt ( but not the end of the hunt for those people who based their search on only the initial report).

So, just because you think you've found supporting evidence.....keep working the source until you've exhausted ALL the references.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10569.msg72311.html#msg72311

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 03:12:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The biggest problem here is that its very hard to post any scans from the original papers and make them readable. There just isnt enough data in a 100kb pic.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10569.msg72325.html#msg72325

Offline cccalcoTopic starter
Knights of the Golden Circle
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

890.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 03:25:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gentlemen, I am in no way vouching for the creditability of the newspapers of any century. Much of what passes for news both in the past and now is nothing more that the editorial view of the publishers. I am far more comfortable with the professional transcription of these documents than I am the original documents when it comes to moral integrity and academic standards.   No one has yet shown to me where any of the newspapers were improperly transcribed.
The only supportive evidence that I am using these period papers to support is the fact that the K.G.C. was covered in contemporary periodicals and to offer some insight into what was indeed written of them at that time.

The Knights of the Golden Circle Archive Research and Historical Forum ,

Please Register or Login

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle
, is an archival forum and holds no hidden agenda and generally posts without comment except for the occasional "Caveat Lector".

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10569.msg72327.html#msg72327

Knights of the Golden Circle Research and Archive

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 03:39:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just so you know, I have no problem accepting that the Knights of the Golden Circle existed and that they were extensively written about during the period.   For my part, I concede the existence of the KGC has been documented.  (I also believe in the Knights Templar, the Rosicrucians, the Rothschilds, etc, etc)  However, it does not necessarily follow that I believe the legends associated with them or that certain people who legend claims were associated with them in fact were, or even that if it can be shown beyond a reasonable doubt that said person(s) was associated with the KGC at some point in his life his subsequent actions were a result of and in support of his KGC connection.......It also doesn't follow that I'm going to dismiss those possibilities out have hand.

For my part, I'm just saying if you are going to do the research with the end of uncovering any caches that may exist it would be wise to take GD's advice.   If you are just doing the research for the sake of curiosity as some of us are doing in the case of Doc Noss and Victorio Peak, making sure you have all the i's dotted and all the t's crossed is less important (but still recommended).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10569.msg72331.html#msg72331

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 06:00:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
The biggest problem here is that its very hard to post any scans from the original papers and make them readable. There just isnt enough data in a 100kb pic.

If your having problems about pictures use

Please Register or Login

http://www.photobucket.com
they supply you with links in order to post your pics that you uploaded here too.  all you need to do is use share then look at the links listed below and copy it onto the forum when you make a post easy peasy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10569.msg72353.html#msg72353

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2010, 01:30:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

It thrills me to read the stories of the KGC and the prospects of real treasure to be found right here in my own back yard, but yet, it disturbes me to find that a lot of the research people do on this is to repeat the same old newspaper articles over and over.  I mean, look at reply #2 in this very thread.  You've got four articles from four different sources expousing the exact same thing... Not just articles on the same topic... but word for word repititions of the same article.  This does not in any way indicate that the information is a fact.  It indicates that one news source picked up the information from another news source and simply re-printed it.  How do we verify that the ultimate origial writer of the article knew the difference between his butt and a hole in the ground?  Just because it was picked up by umpteen newspapers and reprinted doesn't absolutely imply any bearing on whether there's any truth to it.  Just because the story is expounded on by another writer has absolutely no bearing to whether there's any truth to it.  Show me the money honey, then I'll believe.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10569.msg72408.html#msg72408

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline cccalcoTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

890.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2010, 06:18:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bigwater
It thrills me to read the stories of the KGC and the prospects of real treasure to be found right here in my own back yard, but yet, it disturbes me to find that a lot of the research people do on this is to repeat the same old newspaper articles over and over.  I mean, look at reply #2 in this very thread.  You've got four articles from four different sources expousing the exact same thing... Not just articles on the same topic... but word for word repititions of the same article.  This does not in any way indicate that the information is a fact.  It indicates that one news source picked up the information from another news source and simply re-printed it.  How do we verify that the ultimate origial writer of the article knew the difference between his butt and a hole in the ground?  Just because it was picked up by umpteen newspapers and reprinted doesn't absolutely imply any bearing on whether there's any truth to it.  Just because the story is expounded on by another writer has absolutely no bearing to whether there's any truth to it.  Show me the money honey, then I'll believe.

The title of this topic is "Historical Newspaper articles abt KGC" It is offered only to show a glimpse into the contemporary coverage of the Knights. The only "redundant" post was the one in which I attempted to show that the "female spy" was picked up and ran again in so many papers as though it was a 19th century AP article.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10569.msg72430.html#msg72430

Knights of the Golden Circle Research and Archive

Offline onally
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

90.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GTI 2500 w/ treasure hound, whites classic, bounty hunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 08:07:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

read all about it!! looks like its been a popular subject for many years especially back in the 1860's

Please Register or Login

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=knights+of+the+golden+circle&scoring=a
  :Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10569.msg72444.html#msg72444

Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2010, 11:21:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Cccalco and Onally, thank you for bringing to our attention the wealth of articles and books, individually valid or not, that have been written over the years on this topic.  For anyone interested in researching KGC, your lists represent good starting points.  Debating the validity of any particular work listed or its usefulness to anyone searching for treasure would probably be best done under a separate topic(s)........And I would LOVE to see a few of those started.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10569.msg72476.html#msg72476

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: