[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline redriverTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Omega 8000  Prizm IV DFX 300
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:40:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

The other day I was detecting a park in town.  I had been there about 5 minutes and was digging a target when a park employee pulled up on a mower and stopped his engine.  I figured he just wanted to watch.  He asked me if I knew that it was illegal to be detecting in the park.  I told him that I had stopped at the police station a few months ago and asked if it was okay to detect in city parks and schools.  The dispatcher turned to a patrolman and asked.  He said "no problem".  The park employee then informed me that he didn't know about the schools, but that the police were wrong about the parks.  He told me that I needed to check in with the parks superintendent and sign a paper.  He then smiled and said he was the parks superintendent and shook my hand.  He had observed that I was digging plugs and replacing dirt and sod, and I didn't BS him.  He told me that I was fine and that if any other park employee ever asked, just give them his name.  I don't know what to take away from this experience other than: cities have laws, and parks have rules, and it pays to correctly replace your diggings.  Oh, and don't BS the parks superintendent.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15530.msg99854.html#msg99854

Offline Spooky
Bronze Member

Proud Rhodesian
Thank you3

Activity
0%

1110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, MXT, Fisher F5, BH SS2
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 10:20:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This demonstrates why it is SO important to dig a proper plug and be courteous..
Good Job, hopefully others in your area do the same..
 Smiley

Please Register or Login

http://factoidz.com/how-to-properly-recover-a-target-plug-digging-with-a-metal-detector-1/

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15530.msg99974.html#msg99974

"Gimme foo, gimme fah, gimme Jabajabajabbah!!"

Offline Foiled Again
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1535.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

No detectors at the moment, 100 gpm suction dredge pump, 2" hand operated gold sucker, handmade bucket classifier, 9 inch cleanup sluice with v-matting
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 04:36:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Last week, I went to two parks here that Ive never been to before, and both of them had metal detectors posted as no no's in their regulations. I can understand prohibiting use in well manicured areas of the park, but they should allow use in places like around swing sets and such that have wood chips, thats usually where I target anyway. I'm going to try talking to someone at the park to see what I can do to change it. Foiled Again

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15530.msg99987.html#msg99987

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 04:35:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It's much more than you think. Some people don't like that you are hanging about a playground where their kids play. Surely you must be aware the to some people out there, anyone who hangs around a park is creepy.

To overcome this requires that you communicate with the parents whenever you can. Show them the dangerous materials you pluck from the soil. In fact, when you discuss this issue with the parks people, show them some samples of nails, sharp can slices and other dangerous materials you remove as a volunteer public service. At one time, I used to have some Polaroids of cut feet that my cousin (an emergency room doctor) would give me. They were pictures of damaged feet and hands from broken glass but the images served to show what could happen from similarly sharp metal. Not to mention needles found.

Any of those things should put the fear of sharp objects into the minds of the parents who are then suddenly grateful that you are cleaning out their park playground for them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15530.msg100092.html#msg100092

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Norman Massey
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT. Fishers 1236 X2 & CZ70 Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 05:27:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Here in Houston the parks are OK to hunt in, but not the Harris county park. Before the ban I a half a dozen or so county parks. I would hunt them and have a ice chest full of soft drinks and  bottles of water to pass out. After the ban I just stop going.

Six months at the ban my Bother joined our hobby and the first day on his own he want to my favorite park. He called me and said that he just started to hunt when the park main. people stopped by and told him to have FUN. I drove to the park to see the the fun when the cops showed up. The parks saw me and asked where I had been. At this park the Goodwill that I had showed made me Missed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15530.msg100098.html#msg100098

Offline dirt-n-spector
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tersoro Cortes
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 06:07:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good deeds always helps our passion.  Thanks
Great advice!!!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15530.msg100112.html#msg100112

Offline edjcox
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

745.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Safari
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 12:31:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

The problem I see is that they quickly say no if asked. I still see folks out there all the time so I am banning myself but those that don't ask and don't care get away with it till stopped and then we all get labled negatively.

I won't hunt any ground without permission. My MD cost me over a thousand dollars and it's not worth jeopardizing. Still it bothers me that there's a lot of folks out there's in the early hours swinging and often in areas I know I've been told no.

Angry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15530.msg100166.html#msg100166

Offline ImN4gold
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

None of my own - Yet!
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 06:47:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello.  I have been asking people about this very thing.  This sounds right, and I can see why the man decided to let you go ahead with your searching.  You treated everyone with respect and courtesy.  You didn't deface the park lawn.  Good citizen.  I really appreciate you for sharing this.  Thank you a lot.    Debra
Good story.  Looks like others are reaping what you sowed.  (:   Debra
Hello.  Are you saying that you go to a park site, immediately talk to the parents about what you're doing, show pictures - then detect?  Do you communicate the same message and demonstrate the same pictures to park officials?  Do you check with police first?  I live next to a park that I planned to check out.  I am a beginner, and all this looks foundational to me.  I appreciate your post.  Parents have good cause to be concerned about their children.  Thanks!    Debra

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15530.msg100831.html#msg100831

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 12:37:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by ImN4gold
Are you saying that you go to a park site, immediately talk to the parents about what you're doing, show pictures - then detect?  Do you communicate the same message and demonstrate the same pictures to park officials?  Do you check with police first?  I live next to a park that I planned to check out.  I am a beginner, and all this looks foundational to me.  I appreciate your post.  Parents have good cause to be concerned about their children.

Debra,

I do speak with them if they come nearby and are watching me. I don't just wander over. You can always tell when a parent is worried. They came to the park wanting to use it and there's someone there that they don't know. I find that explaining what I am doing while emphasizing what we do to clean the park is the best way to have them relax a bit. Sometimes, if the child is old enough, I let them have a quick try at detecting while I continue to chat with mom and dad. Sometimes, I see a little convert in the making when they don't really want to stop.

The fact that a person (that being us) who eventually looks a bit dirty from digging is wandering around in a park where they have their children can be a little worrying to parents. Being proactive takes no time at all really and when you show them all the sharp metal bits that you always find, there's actually a look of relief on their faces. Some parents even turn and shout, "Put your shoes on kids!" at their children after seeing some of the nasties I have recently dug. With my digital camera loaded with pictures of my trash finds, I no longer have to carry photos with me.

Twice now, at the beach, I have made friends with a mom who later became a detectorist and we'd meet at the beach for a wander. We don't do it often because unlike a simple walk on the beach, you really can't chat while detecting. But there is the safety factor for a young lady on the beach to have a friend nearby.

As to the police, I report all dangerous goods found to the local council by photograph. I have found weapons used in crimes before and the police know me quite well as I turn everything of value worth more than $10.00 over to them as required by law here in Western Australia. After 6 months, they send a notice to you if nobody claims it and you can keep the find.

Being active in the community is a positive thing that counters the ground-digging fools who leave their trash all over the ground next to the great hole they dug. Only one of those can have a park closed to the rest of us so I sometimes find myself cleaning up after those detector pigs.

One last tip for you that pleases the park folks to no end is to carry a small baggie full of grass seed. When I cover up after other detector users who have poor manners, I sprinkle some over the bare dirt, scratch it into the soil and pour a bit of water from my bottle over it. Groundskeepers love you for that.

Best,
GD

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15530.msg100877.html#msg100877

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ImN4gold
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

None of my own - Yet!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 01:25:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD.
I hope everyone reads your reply.  Probably most diggers on this site do like you.  Wise to clean up after the selfish.  And your over-the-top efforts with the grass seed and water are high praise to you.  Everyone reaps from it.  Five gold star!
Debra

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15530.msg100884.html#msg100884

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: