[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 03:09:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Great story Seldom, I had never heard of it either. I really enjoy the ones that are based solidly on real people, makes them much more interesting knowing the events really happened and not just exaggerated fireside tales.

Here's the rub, even if this area had no history or evidence of mining Sublett found gold. I'm thinking occam's razor here, the simplest logical explanation is usually the right one.

The points below are key suppositions taken from the above tale.

If the spaniards had mined there you would likely have had some evidence and historical reference of some type so if there is none that lets them out.

Also if the gold was naturally occuring there would likely be some evidence of mining activities in the area.

The Apaches used the area as a refuge, and were known for being very protective of such.

The Apaches were said to have hoarded precious metals taken in raids.

Sublett had a free pass with the Apaches or was extremely sneaky or extremely lucky.

Sounds to me like Sublett may have found a market dealing with the Apaches is most likely. Perhaps he was able to broker a trade deal with them for items (ammo guns whiskey food blankets ?) they could not get since they were basically at war and they paid in gold coins and nuggets from thier raids or older hoards. If he kept his word and was patient and honest with them they may have come to trust him and value his services, letting him take gold up front to purchase items. Would be interesting to see if he made any large purchases of bulk items. Likely the Apaches would have taken care of anyone tailing Sublett, hence he was never successfully followed.

Either that or he was sneaky enough to waltz into their land for years, find a mine or a hoard and take what he wanted without them knowing or killing him, which is unlikely in my opinion.

Great stuff  Great

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22611.msg160647.html#msg160647

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 03:15:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
Sounds to me like Sublett may have found a market dealing with the Apaches is most likely. Perhaps he was able to broker a trade deal with them for items (ammo guns whiskey food blankets ?) they could not get since they were basically at war and they paid in gold coins and nuggets from thier raids or older hoards. If he kept his word and was patient and honest with them they may have come to trust him and value his services, letting him take gold up front to purchase items. Would be interesting to see if he made any large purchases of bulk items. Likely the Apaches would have taken care of anyone tailing Sublett, hence he was never successfully followed.

Actually that's probably the best theory yet.....The Commancheros were the most famous of the grey/black market Indian traders, but you know that all the warring tribes had to have sources other than what they took in raids.    Your theory fits most of the known "facts"....and letting people think you have a mine would probably be preferable to having them know you're supplying guns and ammunition to the "theivin' ...."

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22611.msg160652.html#msg160652

Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 05:15:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That is a good theory and a new one or one I have never heard are thought about.
But there is always a but sorry. Ben told 2 others how to find the mine both did one was killed by a horse soon after he returned with gold and the other found it and used the money to go on a long drunk waking up broke he could never find it again. Plus Ben showed his son the mine and Roth spend his whole life looking for it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22611.msg160714.html#msg160714

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 11:30:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yep I agree thats a troublesome spot, but.... Grin

Do we have a timeline on when these events took place? Could the Apaches have discovered the mine and showed it to Sublett who later returned with others after the Apaches were gone?

Gonna have to see if I can dig up any dates for this stuff  Smiley Dates could solve a few questions I think.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22611.msg161008.html#msg161008

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 04:36:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Transcribed from the Texas State Histerical marker... (I've often found these markers need to be taken with a grain of salt)

The State of Texas Official Ben Sublett Historical Marker
220 North Grandview Ave, Odessa Tesas

State of Texas Historical Survey Committee

William C. Sublett
Born in 1835 in Alabama.  Moved to North Texas before the Civil War, in which he served as a Confederate. After his wife died in 1874, he went to the Texas frontier to hunt buffalo.  Taking his three young children with him.  in 1881-1882 he supplied game to the Texas and Pacific Railroad construction crews.  Such hunting was important to the development of West Texas, and to the transcontinental railroad construction.

Settling later in Odessa, Sublett built near this site a dugout and tent home, and homesteaded a 160 acre claim. To support his family, he hauled wood and "water-witched" to locate wells for settlers.

In the 1880's he attracted notice by using gold nuggets to trade for supplies.  In explanation he said an apache Indian had directed him to a mine in the the Guadalupe Mountains, about 150 miles west of here. Periodically he disappeared and returned with Gold, but efforts to follow him to the mine always failed.  He once took his young son there, but the boy could not find the way later. In 1889, Sublett sold his Ector county property.  He died January 6, 1892 in Barstow without disclosing the location of his mine.  However, stories of his treasure still lure explorers into the Guadalupe Mountains.

Posted on: April 06, 2011, 02:34:38 PM
Here is a picture of the marker and related storyboard.

Please Register or Login

http://www.permiangen.com/hmarker.htm

According to family geneaology the C stand s for Caldwell. William Caldwell Sublett. Caldwell was his father's name.

Posted on: April 06, 2011, 04:01:09 PM
More tidbits

William Caldwell Sublett

Sources: Ethel Harris (PITT) family bible; 1850 census Benton Co. Arkansas, 1850 census Washington county, Fayetteville, Arkansas P436B line 5.
William somehow attained the "nickname" of "Ben" Sublett, the character associated with the fabled "Lost Sublett Gold Mine". Supposedly an "Old Spanish gold mine" in or near the Guadalupe Mountains in Southern New Mexico was found by William where he spent the last several years of his life visiting and extracting gold while exerting great efforts to keep its location secret. He succeeded so well that his secret died with him. No one known of since then has found the treasure.
From Jim Sublett, a distant cousin:
William Caldwell Sublett served in the Texas Rangers from 20 Jan1860 to
9Sept1860 under Captain Edward Burlson's Company.
Upon learning about the Civil War, he returned to Arkansas and
joined Gordon's Regiment, AR Cav, as a Pvt in Company F.

Posted on: April 06, 2011, 04:24:19 PM
One more then I'm done for a bit Smiley

William Caldwell Sublett was born on 25 Sep 1834 in , Franklin, Tennessee. He died on 6 Jan 1892 in Barstow, Ward, Texas. He was buried in Jan 1892 in Odessa, Ector, Texas. He married Laura Louisa Denny in 1869 in Franklin, Tennessee.

[Notes]
Laura Louisa Denny was born on 24 Mar 1847 in Fayetteville, Washington, Arkansas. She died on 6 Nov 1873. She married William Caldwell Sublett in 1869 in Franklin, Tennessee.

[Notes]
They had the following children:

F i Olive Sublett
   F ii Jenny Cornelia Sublett
   M iii Rolth Ross Sublett

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rolth Ross Sublett was born on 5 May 1873 in Bowie, Montague, Tx. He died on 13 Oct 1953 in Artesia, Eddy, Nm. He was buried on 14 Oct 1953 in Artesia, Eddy, Nm. He married Bertie Boron on 18 Jul 1931 in Carlsbad, Eddy, Nm. The marriage ended in divorce.

[Notes]
Bertie Boron was born on 23 Dec 1885 in Coleman City, Coleman, Tx. She married Rolth Ross Sublett on 18 Jul 1931 in Carlsbad, Eddy, Nm. The marriage ended in divorce.

Posted on: April 06, 2011, 04:29:30 PM
Rolth Ross Sublett

Rolth married, divorced, and remarried Bertie Boron several times. She alternately married and divorced back and forth between Rolth and another man. Rolth (went by "Ross") visited the fabled "Sublett Gold Mine" with his father as a youngster and spent most of his life unsuccessfully searching for this and other "lost treasures" around the Guadalupes and the Seven Rivers area.

Buried in Woodbine Cemetery, Artesia, New Mexico

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22611.msg161069.html#msg161069

« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:39:54 pm by Idaho Jones »
Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 04:05:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Idaho Jones

Well done with the research. looks like you have found some interesting stuff.

Hardluck  Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22611.msg161180.html#msg161180

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 08:50:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Hardluck. It was an interesting journey in which I ended up throwing away my early assumptions just by understanding more about the man.

After reading some of his exploits I've changed my opinion on Sublett. He wasn't just a family man trying to survive so much as an outdoorsman trying raise a family alone. I think he lived sparsely in those early years out of habit more than neccessity. It feels like he tried to settle down with the wife and raise a family but after her death and a few attempts at farming it just didn't stick.

"In early 1881, while operating from the temporary railhead at Colorado (later Colorado City), he discovered gold dust and nuggets somewhere in the Pecos River country at a site he contended was a mine; he would not divulge the location."

Anyone have any decent railroad maps showing a line running close to colorado city? He was a scout and hunter for the railroad being built so I would think following the line would give a decent search area where he may have encountered the mine.

Incidentally Colorado City, Odessa, and Monahans are almost straight in line with each other. If you had a mine like that wouldn't you move as close as possible?

Posted on: April 07, 2011, 08:24:24 AM
Someone needs to go hunt down this Texas sized map  Smiley

Please Register or Login

http://www.texasescapes.com/MikeCoxTexasTales/Texas-Sized-Texas-Map.htm

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22611.msg161212.html#msg161212

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 08:55:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

That would require a trip to Austin if any of our members close enough to do so are interested.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22611.msg161213.html#msg161213

Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 10:36:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Lets look at some known facts and add some wrecking crew logic.

We know Ben had a source for wealth but was it all gold? Remember the banker W E Connell stated several times that after one of Ben's trips he deposited 1 thousand dollars in the bank. There is no record of Ben selling gold to anyone. Ben went into the area for 3 to 4 days and would return with 1000 bucks, now in them days that would be about 50 pounds of gold thats a lot of nuggets to collect in a day or two and pack out of some rough country.
Plus there are only a couple of eye witness accounts of Ben having gold he had wealth but few saw any gold.
I have held off posting this info as I have lost the source (Newspaper article) but I did post it the other day on a different thread so will here also.
In the 1930's an area newspaper reported the finding of several Wells Fargo boxes like the ones used to transport gold and cash in the area that Ben operated in. Until I can find the source this is just a legend but I have based my theory that Ben found an outlaw cache and was slowly withdrawing from it on this article.
The other theory I like is Ben found an Indian cache of gold and was taking from it.
As for Ben trading contraband to the Indians I find very interesting and think it need more research.
Ben having a mine has no merit in my opinion, the area is not geology suited for any hard rock mining and a placer in that area producing 50 pounds of gold in a day or two is not a placer it $%#& El Dorado.     

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22611.msg161227.html#msg161227

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 11:20:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

I actually found an old railroad map showing the route BA, it goes straight through from Monahans to Pecos pretty much. I just hate trying to find online maps with a resolution high enough to see more than the outline of the states Grin I think you posted a link to old railroad routes a long while back but I can't seem to find the link.

I like your logic Seldom,

1 if there is no gold mining there now, or in the past a mine is unlikely.
2 mining is hard work and takes time to accumulate much wealth, especially when gold wasn't worth quite as much.
3 if no one bought gold from Sublett where did the money come from?

One has to wonder if the 9 months Sublett served with the Rangers he might have tracked an outlaw or two who could have tried to bargain with hidden wealth? Perhaps Sublett took the job as hunter because it was in the area he knew a cache was hidden and he basically got paid to look for it?

Or perhaps as a soldier he heard of a confederate stash? Why does a widower with 3 young children suddenly move to Texas to hunt buffalo? Doesn't sound like a family man's occupation.

Or perhaps it's all random chance and one day while out hunting for the railroad he runs into some Apache and he gives them some game. He would likely have known how to deal with them from his days as ranger and buff hunter. In appreciation they show him a cache which they have no use for? 

Was the mine he showed to Rolth (Ross) and the others just a ruse then? Perhaps hidden in a cave much like the Doc Noss story so that they believed it was a mine proper? 

A fascinating mystery to unravel Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22611.msg161232.html#msg161232

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: