[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:06:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This story has been floating around for sometime but I have never heard of anyone looking for it. I first heard about it back in the 70's but don't think much was written about it till Jameson included in his book Buried Treasure of Texas. 

In 1929, the Spanish teacher Myrtle Love, from the town of Isleta, New Mexico, west of Texas, who was very interested in old west history, received a phone call from the El Paso sheriff saying that there was a man under arrest with a very interesting story to tell.

The man’s name was Race Compton and was arrested when found sleeping in a rail road freight car. He looked like a vagabond. He told Miss Love that he was going to get dynamite and excavation equipment so he could go back to an old cave that had been sealed off by the Indians and presumably inside contained millions of dollars in gold ingots and gold coins.

Compton said “in 1859, the stage coaches were hard at work transporting people, mail, promissory notes and some times large sums of gold.

Stations for the stage coaches were established along the region of the Trans- Pecos for passengers and conductors to eat. One of these stations was in Eagle Springs, Texas located at the foot of Eagle Mountain, about 15 miles south of Van Horn and 12 miles north east of Indian Hot Springs.

Big Foot Wallace was a famous adventurer and Texas Ranger. He was one of the stage coach conductors, along with Joea Peacock who was only 19 but had been involved in several incidents with fugitives and Indians and had killed a few men.

During these times, bands of Apaches were very active in their incursions along the Texas territories. Their Chief, Victorio was commanding the major part of these rebel Indians.

Even thou it was said that Chief Victorio was white and that he had been kidnapped as a child from Coahuila, Mexico, he had a peculiar hatred towards the white men.

During one of the stage coach runs, the Apaches attacked and in some 20 minutes killed two passengers and one of the station attendants. The horses were stolen and Peacock was hurt in the leg by an arrow and taken prisoner by the Indians.

The Apaches and their prisoner rode none stop on horse back to the Tres Castillos Mountains in Chihuahua, Mexico. This is about 20 miles south of the Rio Grand River where they felt safe from the Texas Rangers, the Calvary and the Mexican soldiers.

The prisoner’s wound was not bad, but it was taken care of by a young Indian woman named Juanita, presumed to be Chief Victorio’s daughter. Victorio tried to kill the prisoner several times but Juanita kept him from it because she had fallen in love with the prisoner.

At night the young Indian woman and the white prisoner would get together in secret. She tried to get him to marry her, but he was very cautious for he knew that she was the only reason he was still alive.

Finally Peacock said he would marry her only if she would tell him were Chief Victorio had hidden the treasure. He was intrigued by what he saw, the Indians were carrying off gold ingots probably stolen from a train robbery and taking them to Mexico to trade for rifles and ammunition.

Juanita told him that the gold was being stored in a cave in the Eagle Mountains, close to were Peacock had been taken prisoner. She told him he could get there by going thru Hot Indian Springs. She also told him that the entrance was well hidden in the rocks and that he had to crawl on all fours to get in because the entrance was very small. Juanita told him that she had gone to the cave many times with her father and that she remembered seeing dozens of gold ingots, many bags with gold coins and chests full of religious artifacts and jewelry stashed away in the back of the cave. Her father had mentioned to her that it would take some 50 mules to transport all that had been stolen and hidden in the cave for years.

Afterwards, when Victorio and several of his warriors were taking gold ingots to trade for guns, they were spotted by soldiers on the old Indian path. One Indian woman was hurt and two soldiers died that day.

After this, Victorio was afraid that the location and contents of the cave would be investigated and discovered. So they got out what they were going to need and sealed off the small entrance with rocks making it look like part of the same mountain. Even so, Juanita told her lover she could find the entrance to the cave with no problem. That night, Peacock planned his escape thinking that with all that he knew he could find the cave without the help of anyone.

Finally, one day, Victorio and his men left on an incursion into Chihuahua, leaving only women, children and the elderly in camp. With Juanita’s help, Peacock got a horse and water. He promised the young Indian he would be back for her as soon as possible. The prisoner left for the mountains and crossed the desert. After several days, he finally arrived at Eagle Springs.

It is a long story. Peacock after resting, decided to begin the search with out any luck. Probably because sometimes what one person describes, is not what another person sees. Discouraged, he returned to his old job with the stage coaches while the Indians were being eliminated by the Texas Rangers and the Mexican soldiers. Finally, in the Tres Castillos Mountains, in June of 1880, Victorio, some 60 warriors and 18 women, including Juanita, were killed. All of those who knew of the location of the hidden cave where gone, the enormous treasure was lost.

In 1895, Peacock met Peace Compton that was a gold prospector and because of the interest of both of them for gold, the ex Apache prisoner told him of Victorio’s cave. They spent 15 years looking for the treasure. In 1915 Peacock died. Compton kept the ranch they had and continued looking for the cave, although he sometimes had to work to be able to buy dynamite and food.

In the end, he told Miss Love that as soon as he got out of jail, he would go back to the mountains to dynamite the cave he had finally found, approximately 5 miles east of Hot Indian Springs and south of the old Indian path.
He described the place to be about one day on horse back, south of Sierra Blanca and a half day west of Hot Indian Springs. He added to Love that a torrential rainfall had removed some of the rocks that covered the entrance to the cave and that he only had to dynamite the rocks that were left.

Compton was never heard of after leaving jail. An old resident of Sierra Blanca that had met him, said that he had died of a heart attack on his way back to the mountains and that he had been buried in Sierra Blanca.
The history of the lost treasure of Victorio is still alive. Everything suggests that the gold ingots, the bags of gold coins and the chests of jewelry are still in the mountains. What you need is a sense of adventure, good research, patience, and last but not least, good detection equipment.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26484.msg186192.html#msg186192

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 08:47:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A very interesting tale Seldom. First thing I thought of when I read where this location was is that it's not far from Monahans, about 200 miles. Perhaps thats why no one could find Subletts mine? Just a thought.

Would be fun to see if any of the names involved could be tracked down.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26484.msg186227.html#msg186227

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:55:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Back in the day I did checked the name Myrtle Love and she did check out. Never did much looking over this one can't even find a file on it had to reply on Jameson for all this info.

Quote:Posted by Idaho Jones
Monahans, about 200 miles. Perhaps thats why no one could find Subletts mine

Well I have always said I thought Sublett had found a cache not a mine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26484.msg186229.html#msg186229

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 09:12:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah I found Myrtle too, Race or Peace not so much yet.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26484.msg186230.html#msg186230

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:36:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Peacock is the one that always interested me guess because that's where it started.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26484.msg186232.html#msg186232

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 05:49:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'm thinking Victorios, lot had a hand in the New Mexico Lost Adams thing too.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26484.msg186252.html#msg186252

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 06:52:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all

Very Interesting post Seldom.

I have a map somewhere of the final battlefeild of Victorio with US and Mexican Troops. It is very close to Victorio peak.

Considering the alleged contents of the items found in the cave at victorio peak by Doc Noss perhaps the treasure was from Chief Victorio?

This man called Race Compton is very interesting as it predates the Doc Noss story. I wonder if there is datedable evidence for the identity of this man?

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26484.msg186837.html#msg186837

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Hembrillo_Basin_1.jpg

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:06:34 pm by hardluck »
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 07:16:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by hardluck
I have a map somewhere of the final battlefeild of Victorio with US and Mexican Troops. It is very close to Victorio peak.

Hardluck, that "very close" is relevant.   The final battlefield was in Mexico at a location approximately 210 miles south of Victorio Peak.    (Ok, I'm admittedly nitpicky here since Victorio Peak is a) named after Victorio and b) was within the normal range of his band's wanderings and travels. )  I doubt, though, if Victorio is responsible for the loot associated with Victorio Peak although it is within the realm of possibility that he knew of its existance.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26484.msg186839.html#msg186839

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 07:38:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello BA

My error of memory, Thank you for clarifying the final battle of Victorio, you are correct. I mixed up battles.

I was thinking of The battle between Victorio and 9th calvery of Buffulo soilders was around near Victorio peak in which was scirmish in which Victorio escaped. That is map I was thinking of..

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26484.msg186844.html#msg186844

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:12:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

That's one of the things I like about you.....you're rarely wrong, but when you are, you admit it  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26484.msg186888.html#msg186888

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: