[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 09:46:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

I got lucky when I bought a used machine. I did not want the headaches I see about machines needing sent back. I knew a used machine worked, I could try before I buy. For what I do with my detector, it should have died the first week. It is still up and running.

I have an older Pioneer/Bounty Hunter 202. Same as the quick draw II. Cost me $75 bucks. Came with a 8 inch coil. I bought a used 4 inch sniper coil with cover, for $35 bucks. I bought a 10 inch coil with cover for $50 bucks. For a $155 bucks I have a pretty good little setup. I can go easily down to 5 inchs on the smaller coil. I can go well over 10 inches on my large coil. No programs to set, or ground balance to work out. If it beeps there is something there. It doesnt have the greatest lcd readout. But you can adjust sensitivity. I normally run in all metal mode on low power. It handles the iron dirt here well.

Even though you can pull bird shot at several inches, it is no good on gold. It uses two 9 volt battery's. The machine is comfortable to hold, but heavy.

I was considering a whites. I have a dealer a 1.5 miles from the house. I visited the shop and found the service unacceptable. It was his second business. After several minutes of waiting and looking at two dusty machines, and a business card, I left, without a whites detector.

Nope I like my el cheapo. Evey time I hear a guy with a cz getting 7 inches, I laugh. Im not saying whites is a bad machine, I would own one. But Im not ready to plunck down that kind of change till Im ready for my next machine. I think some of the whites machines don't get enough credit. But availability is important along with service after the sale. Too many people in it for the money.

My visit reminded me of the time I was overseas and trying to get into a bar, it was always crowded. I just wanted to set and relax. I would lick a $100 dollar bill US funds and stick it to my forehead. I got my favorite seat and the drinks came all night quickly. I should have tried that trick in the whites shop. Im sure he made a killing with that box of ammo he just sold 15 minutes ago and was talking about whatever with the customer. Too bad the other guy behind the counter couldn't have came out to help. See theres a color blind problem here, and I know a fu look when I get one.

Think I'll buy a drywasher instead.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15022.msg160112.html#msg160112

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:49:01 am by casca »

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 10:25:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by casca
I got lucky when I bought a used machine. I did not want the headaches I see about machines needing sent back. I knew a used machine worked, I could try before I buy. For what I do with my detector, it should have died the first week. It is still up and running.

I have an older Pioneer/Bounty Hunter 202. Same as the quick draw II. Cost me $75 bucks. Came with a 8 inch coil. I bought a used 4 inch sniper coil with cover, for $35 bucks. I bought a 10 inch coil with cover for $50 bucks. For a $155 bucks I have a pretty good little setup. I can go easily down to 5 inchs on the smaller coil. I can go well over 10 inches on my large coil. No programs to set, or ground balance to work out. If it beeps there is something there. It doesnt have the greatest lcd readout. But you can adjust sensitivity. I normally run in all metal mode on low power. It handles the iron dirt here well.

Even though you can pull bird shot at several inches, it is no good on gold. It uses two 9 volt battery's. The machine is comfortable to hold, but heavy.

I was considering a whites. I have a dealer a 1.5 miles from the house. I visited the shop and found the service unacceptable. It was his second business. After several minutes of waiting and looking at two dusty machines, and a business card, I left, without a whites detector.

Nope I like my el cheapo. Evey time I hear a guy with a cz getting 7 inches, I laugh. Im not saying whites is a bad machine, I would own one. But Im not ready to plunck down that kind of change till Im ready for my next machine. I think some of the whites machines don't get enough credit. But availability is important along with service after the sale. Too many people in it for the money.

My visit reminded me of the time I was overseas and trying to get into a bar, it was always crowded. I just wanted to set and relax. I would lick a $100 dollar bill US funds and stick it to my forehead. I got my favorite seat and the drinks came all night quickly. I should have tried that trick in the whites shop. Im sure he made a killing with that box of ammo he just sold 15 minutes ago and was talking about whatever with the customer. Too bad the other guy behind the counter couldn't have came out to help. See theres a color blind problem here, and I know a fu look when I get one.

Think I'll buy a drywasher instead.
[/quote

Casca don't be mad at the brand, it's the method of sales thats wrong and as you found out the person selling the things
When i hear of people going on about banning guns it winds me up, coz there is not a gun in history thats ever killed
anyone, it's always the nut holding it, Tigers and Lions are dangerous but we are the only species that creats weapons
to kill each other. Guns a great bits of engineering.
And as for your machine if it suits your hunting style then never change it unless you are really sure your doing the right thing.
as i wrote on another thread depth is a good tool not the be all and end all, and i found this out when i had $60,000 of machines
to play with, I always knew this but i found out what all those so called top of the line machines can do, Ya not missin much

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15022.msg160122.html#msg160122

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 03:07:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi AU,

For my lack of knowledge I was hoping to cheat with technology. Your right, 90% of the time, I dont need a high end machine. I do need a good gold machine, so I can quickly check and area when needed.

I was playing with a whites the other day, the guy owned both BH and a whites. He didnt think the BH was working. I threw some small gold on the ground and we played, he wont be using the whites much I think.

The whites was a beast, and not sure the front yard was a good place to test it. But the BH was picking up even the pipes in the ground. Im sure the whites is a good machine, but he was wanting to see how it reacted to gold. But I suggest to anyone to always buy the best you can afford, and brand name is like a pair of tennis shoes, its what your comfortable with. Im sure there is whites users here that can spank me in a hunt.

Now this is two similar machines in price and claims. You can not compare a MXT or V3 against a BH machine.

We have a problem with service in America. If I pay for a product or service, I shouldn't need to send it back, or question its claims. That part of the post was for Vendors. Dude lost a sale that day. Get a recommendation is all Im saying before you buy. Better, yet, go in on Saturday, and see if they have any demos you can try. This post was in no way a bashing of a brand or person. Whites has been making good machines for years. I just never had the chance to own one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15022.msg160202.html#msg160202

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 04:10:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Casca Wrote

We have a problem with service in America. If I pay for a product or service, I shouldn't need to send it back, or question its claims. That part of the post was for Vendors. Dude lost a sale that day. Get a recommendation is all Im saying before you buy. Better, yet, go in on Saturday, and see if they have any demos you can try. This post was in no way a bashing of a brand or person. Whites has been making good machines for years. I just never had the chance to own one

Casca and of corse you are so right, I would have thought the man would bust a gut to sell you the things you are interested in
seeing as metaldetecting is so massive in the U.S.A and ofcorse all the good machines are made there, I Have my eye on the new
range of fishers well two of them anyway, When those machines are bought over here they take away the Dollar sign and replace
it with the Pound sign and that puts $326.00 on top of a $500.00 machine but that is some brands, And i know of one company
price fixing, so that does'nt help people like you and me, As for the V3, the MXT will thrash it when it comes to prospecting,
because it has a much better ground Tracking system and it is far more sensitive, I'd love to buy the V3i but the MXT does
just what i want when i want and no messin, Just the way i like it.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15022.msg160213.html#msg160213

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:15:30 pm by Ridge Runner »
Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 05:05:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeppers, I believe one of the Fisher gold bug machines has a high frequency of 78 khz or something. Im look at whats under the hood and miss the electronic windows. I had an old boss who would laugh and say it suits me when I would pull the rattiest truck in the yard out for a over nite trip. I just wanted to get back for the weekend.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15022.msg160240.html#msg160240

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 05:34:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yep I'm after the Gold Bug PRO, it is a very clever machine, thats what i'm after first

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15022.msg160258.html#msg160258

Offline shortribs
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 06:10:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bounty Hunter are good detectors its just they havent the depth even with the 10in head as the higher priced detectors have.  BH has one of the best notch systems out there as have used a bunch of them.But after 41 yrs of detecting its just that BH hasn't got the depth potential as say a fisher or Garrett higher priced unit does. I don't know why as I like BH. detectors as a rule.I have probably found more rings with a BH than others but depth wasnt an issue just the notch factor.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15022.msg163156.html#msg163156

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 06:27:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by shortribs
Bounty Hunter are good detectors its just they havent the depth even with the 10in head as the higher priced detectors have.  BH has one of the best notch systems out there as have used a bunch of them.But after 41 yrs of detecting its just that BH hasn't got the depth potential as say a fisher or Garrett higher priced unit does. I don't know why as I like BH. detectors as a rule.I have probably found more rings with a BH than others but depth wasnt an issue just the notch factor.

Well there you go It's about knowing your machine and putting it's options to good use, Well said

What help me decide to go with Whites was all the Gold prospecting forums and the guys there along with 33 pages of
reviews at Kellyco's along with What I've seen done with them, My finds rate has gone through the roof as I'm whooping
the so called top of the range machines, HANG ON We should refer to them from now on as the most expensive coz the top of the range title should belong to the machines that produce not the one that cost you ya family jewels (nuts)
This is a good thread and thats down to you guys now if only they can do the same with detectors, I'd be good with that

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15022.msg163160.html#msg163160

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2011, 10:14:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I pulled the ol Bounty Hunter out today.

Had to put a 4 inch coil on it as I checked a old mine camp.

I learned a lot today. I am glad I had a simple machine today, when it beeped, there was something there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15022.msg163264.html#msg163264

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male