[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Renegade7
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1070.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter  Qwik Draw II
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2011, 05:12:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

lmao, glad im not the the only one called Yoda. Course I think yours is a wisecrack. Mine is cause of my height, hahaha

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26171.msg184021.html#msg184021

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 04:49:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD brings up some very valid points.   If there's a parcel with your name on it that contains something you didn't order, then odds are it's a fraud (so if any of you are planning to send me a new detector gratis, please let me know before you ship it to me, so I don't refuse it).    If you answered an ad and THEN the package magically appeared, what is the specific tip-off that this was a scam and not exactly what you asked for?

Not trying to find fault with anything posted so far, but trying to get the maximum possible value out of the topic and the most information possible to other members so they can avoid the scam artists.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26171.msg184295.html#msg184295

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2011, 05:05:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Actually I always want to know when something has been shipped but I never thought
of using that as way to keep from being conned, that a new one on me

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26171.msg184302.html#msg184302

Offline ViracochaTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Sea Hunter II , Makro JeoTech Led
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2011, 12:57:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The idea is here that nothing was going to be sent... it was all a scam...fake tracking number supported by a well constructed (fake) shipping site...What they where hoping was that I would send the money via Western Union... the classic psychology being toad in the water.... will stay there and boil to death if the temp is raised slow enough... at the beginning I saw the ad and contacted the seller for the MD.  then agreement on price followed by payment suggestion of paypal... then the seller entices the buyer saying that he will pay for the shipping and send it through a (what seems to be valid) shipping company...and do COD for the item.... dialog is exchanged and a relationship is quickly developed...and nothing smells better than a good deal....
Well the shipping company (looking very professional and functioning) has done all the work and now required payment.... but hey.. they already did the inspection...so you don't realize that the COD is not needed... and the promise of a 5 day return policy..Sounds safe...website looks safe..I guess this is how business is done...OK.....But wait...Only one form of payment? and it seems too similar to Afriscam?....lemmi look a little further...Oh oh things start to unravel...ah ah...I smell a scam!

Here is the email exchange...

if your detector is still for sale I am interested.  If you don't mind shipping to Canada.

Let me know if you are interested.

Hello,

Still available. BRAND NEW in box with receipt and manufacturer warranty.
It's an useless gift, never used, opened just to test it.
If you agree to pay me the asked price ( 400 British Pounds ),I'm willing to pay for all shipping and insurance fees.

If you want to buy it, just give me your full name and delivery address so that I can arrange the shipment.
The shipping company will handle the payment and offer you 5 days return policy.

Thanks!

That is a fine offer and yes I am willing to pay the 400pounds (that is what you call your currency yes?)

The crux is of course how to get the funds to you..If you have or you create a paypal account online, I am able to send the funds directly to you over the internet.  I do prefer this method because they will escrow the funds and release them when the package arrives.  Very nice system, keeping the buyer and seller honest, especially over seas.  I mean if I send you the money and you don't send the product, I am not going to fly over there and find you, It would just not be financially feasible for me.

The nice thing about paypal is they hold the funds until both parties are amicable.

Post Script "I forgot to ask you if the headphones are wireless?"

My address is
Blah Blah Blah

Yes, the headphones are wireless.
Thank you for your shipping info. Don't worry I'll ship it first and the shipping company will handle the payment and you'll pay with cash.
I'll receive the money only after you receive the metal detector.
Also, you have 5 days return policy, but I assure you this is not the case because you'll love it from the first moment.
The price is £400 GBP - my currency
I'll arrange the shipment tomorrow morning and let you know the details.

Thanks

Hello,

The shipment is started.

Shipping company: Freight Co.
Tracking number: 379390

Please check carefully all folders of your email address.
The confirmation from Freight Co should be in your email by now.
Please read it carefully because there you'll find all the instructions regarding payment and delivery.

Let me know if you have received the confirmation.

Thanks

Hey Danny

Lucky enough My sister in London works very close to you.  She works on Brixton Water lane off of Brixton.  I asked her to drop off the 400GBP to you in person.  The website gave me your address and she said that it is close to where she works.  Do you have a phone number so she can call you?  I am assuming that your address is : 81 Kingswood Rd. London

thanks

At this point I discover the scam and start contacting people about the shipping company

Danny

A bit of trouble..my sister finished work at 4 and went to that address you gave... its a shipping company and they have never heard of you....So I checked the shipping company that you are using and things don't add up!...the website is from Belize..So I contacted Verisign on the website and the pages don't match..

What is going on?

I cant find this company on any of the international shipping registries.  So I contacted another shipping company and they have never herd of payment practices like that shown from this company..And to promise that the item will be here in 2 days?  The other shipping companies that I contacted said that was impossible.. duty taxes inspection shipping VAT and broker duties...would take more than a week!

So two things.  Either your shipping company that you are using is trying to scam you... or you are trying to scam me!... so F$#@r..what is the deal B&%$h!

You still out there?

Danny boy!

At this point I'm just sending him nasty e-mails because I know it's a scam now!

Oh Danny Boy!

Busy f*#@ing sheep in the field Danny Boy?  Oh wait I know.. thumb stuck in your ass@ because you thought you would try something new, so that is why you can respond?  You poor ugly f*%$er.. nice try b@!$h!

Oh Danny Boy!

Oh wait a sec.. bag slipped off your mothers head while you where r@$ing her, and now everything is awkward at the dinner table? is that why your so busy now?

F*^%er...cant stand that you where figured out you f%#$ing wingnut..luv to meet you and take a couple rounds out of you prison b*^%h!

No response after the last few e-mails...I didn't think I would get one.. it was more cathartic than anything at this point

And so that is it!...a pleasant story..

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26171.msg184442.html#msg184442

EarthKinEnergy.com  :We bring green ideas to Light!"

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2011, 01:06:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Viracocha, thanks for the expansion on the thought process.   That should help some of our members.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26171.msg184445.html#msg184445

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2011, 01:08:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If it stops someone else getting scammed than it's all worth it!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26171.msg184446.html#msg184446

Offline Ridge Runner
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2011, 01:09:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice one, I just love it when you talk dirty,LOL

But really I bet you are glad that is all over and thats great you money is safe
In the UK (here)between £350 and £600 is the second hand price of a used V3 and the V3i is about 200 to 400 more +
so something is wrong there,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26171.msg184447.html#msg184447

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2011, 02:54:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Viracocha
if your detector is still for sale I am interested.  If you don't mind shipping to Canada.

See? That explains it all. You were expecting a package. Thanks for explaining more fully.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26171.msg184465.html#msg184465

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2011, 03:01:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

may the force be with you too lol

Posted on: June 28, 2011, 03:01:25 PM
sorry, Digger, that one just presented itself way too easy...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26171.msg184467.html#msg184467

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2011, 03:07:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Viracocha
may the force be with you too lol

Posted on: June 28, 2011, 03:01:25 PM
sorry, Digger, that one just presented itself way too easy...

Prepare to defend yourself, Vader! Light sabers at the ready!!!

You know, it never fails to amaze me how much trouble the scammers will go through. My wife and I receiver dozens of PayPal scams every week and all of them have super PayPal replica sites. There must be some underground swapping of scam sites going on.

No, before you ask, I do not fall for them. I do private consulting work for Computer Associates in the e-mail antivirus area and I get paid to visit those sites to figure out ways to keep their customers safe if they visit one of them by mistake. This is why I asked you what I did. All of your initial screen shots screamed SCAM to me.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26171.msg184470.html#msg184470

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:48:23 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: