[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac W/X-1 White's DFX  W/4x6 shooter/950 Eclipse/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1 BHID Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000             R.A.T.Phones Max
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2007, 07:11:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sometimes you've just got to be creative.  Good idea about the half a hedge trimmer.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,706.msg11181.html#msg11181

Stringfrenzy

Offline LarryB
Bronze Member

KoolyKanuk
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

3553.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro,Nexxtek,Micronta
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 05:54:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey BlackX, It's neat to see all the different types of diggers talked about here in your post. Personally, most of the time, being mostly a coinhunter, I am hooked on the thin probe idea along with a tackpuller to pry the coin out with.  8)A lot of the places where I hunt, people would absolutely FREAK if I walked around with a machete or anything else more destructive looking than a screwdriver. Now if I was relic huntin' the woods, different story, a smallish stainless steel garden trowel (with a custom foam grip) serves me well. My probe is a piece of stainless steel about 5 1/2 inches long, solidly immbeded in a golf ball, for a handle. The end is sharpened, then rounded and sanded so it won't scratch the coins. I usually have to touch it up a few times if I've been hunting a lot because pushing it into the ground so many times, actually makes the point sharp again. I leave the probe in the ground, resting on top of the coin and then use it to gauge how deep and at what angle I have to insert my tackpuller (like a screwdriver) to come at least an inch below the coin. That 1 inch cushion of dirt is usually enough to prevent the coin from being scratched , when I pop it to the surface and into my hand. Works real well when you get on to it.

Digging through rocks is no fun no matter how you slice it. Sad I'm a little enbarrased to say that I have even been known to walk away from a mystery target, down deeper in rocks than I cared to venture because I only had a probe and puller with me. Embarrassed Then again, that particular spot would have given my trowel a caniption, I'm sure. Cheesy

Keep on keepin on...

LarryB

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,706.msg11505.html#msg11505

Metal Detecting keeps us young...
lb

Please Register or Login

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up