[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline quasarhomes
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Spain
Referrals: 0

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher 1266-X
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 01:42:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Many thanks for that SG. Please keep us updated regarding any interesting experiences... Probably I will go for the Lorenz deepmax X6.

Posted on: April 06, 2011, 01:37:53 AM
Quote:Posted by quasarhomes
Many thanks for that SG. Please keep us updated regarding any interesting experiences... Probably I will go for the Lorenz deepmax X6.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21774.msg160883.html#msg160883

Offline spanishgold1Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 10:14:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks for that... I look on the internet and email them.   I sure it will save me a lot of time and then the learning curve...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21774.msg161158.html#msg161158

Offline AlbyM
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulse Star II Pro
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 09:12:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi SpanishGold1,

I just recently purchased a Pulse Star II Pro and would love to compare notes with you.  I've only taken it out a couple times at this point and I am realizing there is a steep learning curve.  I'd really appreciate some feedback from you regarding this machine and your experiences.

Cheers!

Frank

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21774.msg214361.html#msg214361

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 10:16:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm no expert but what do you want to know?  The first thing I can tell you is to keep the loop at a constant level with the ground.  The only way is with some type of trailer system.  Even with that as you go over rocks and sage brush and anything else the trailer system will be uneven, but you have to listen.  Also if your pulling the system and you hear a slight  raise in the tone, you have to be able to quickly disconnect the trailer from the four wheeler, ( providing your using a four wheeler) an back track and circle the area where you got the raise or should I say the queal.  Alot of time you will have a target just to the left or right of the loop that will give a small signal so you have to drag the trailer around to the left or right of where you were.  Also as you might notice if you build a trailer like I did the trailer does not follow in a straight line like your four wheeler.  My trailer drifts to one side.
Ask me a question and I will try and answer it.  Also be careful of the cable if you are pulling it with a four wheeler.  I bought the extention cable and have broken it twice. 

let me know and Ill see what I can help

Posted on: February 25, 2012, 10:08:15 PM
one other thing.... I take along a regular metal detector with a big loop with as well.  When I get to a target when my tone increased just a little bit, I would stop and see if my regular metal detector would pick it up.  On may occasions it was a old can buried, or barbed wire that has been buried under the dirt.  This saves times.   If I don't get a signal with my metal detector then I disconnect it from my four wheeler and circle the area where I received the sight signal.

Also you will notice depending upon the ground conditions, that you have to reset the pulse.  Where I live in certain areas, I am constantly resetting the pulse because the beat does not stay at a constant setting.  Im not sure but I think it has to do with the salt in the ground.  Where I live and hunt in the desert just east and north of where I hunt there is an area called the salt flats, so I think that is why.  This happens only in certain areas.

If you are using it on beach I had to tune it down one level to keep the beat or tone constant. Tuning it down any more than that and you will lose depth.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21774.msg214367.html#msg214367

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 10:32:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello, I have owned both units and would recommedn you buy the Pulse Star II Pro. It costs roughly half the money and does the jon about as well as the Lorenz does. The Lorenz offers better metal ID but is not worth the extra money.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21774.msg214373.html#msg214373

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline AlbyM
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulse Star II Pro
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 10:57:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the feedback, SpanishGold and Christian. I am located in the Republic of Panama and have several very old Spanish settlements to explore that are out in the middle of nowhere.  I have the 1m x 1m coil, the 18 inch coil and the 10 inch coil. I've been practicing in some normal fields just to get the hang of it before I explore the areas where I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of goodies long forgotten. I have used thr 1m x 1m coil walking with a friend and also the smaller coils alone.

I have had the same experience as you in regards to having to constantly reset the pulse- I don't understand why this happens and I'm constantly wondering if I am using the machine correctly. Also, I'm still not sure what signals to dig up and what to ignore.  I've only found soda cans, bullets, and a mineralized rocks so far.  I know the high pitch sound and the non-ferrous red light are what you're looking for but I haven't had a very strong (5 or above on the intensity meter) signal and a solid red indicator at all so far. Often I get a brief higher-pitched sound and no red (or green for that matter) light. Everything I've read on the Pulse Star II says it takes time to develop a feel for it, but it seems a lot less precise than I imagined.

Have you found anything extraordinary yet with it?  What types of depths are you finding items at? The guy I bought the machine off of has found some amazing things with it over the years. He has suggested I just use the 10 inch coil until I get a better feel for the machine and it nuances.  I've only found a couple of videos on youtube which show the Pulse Star II pro in action- have you come across any others?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21774.msg214377.html#msg214377

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:00:06 pm by AlbyM »
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 01:01:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

i dont rely on the red or green led.  I don't think that it is very accurate. so i dig all targets. i just listen for the sounds.  A very loud squeal is a target close to the surface or a larger target buried. a large object, say the size of a can of coke buried 12 inches will give you a very loud squeal.  If you are looking for things that are deep, you need to listen for the smaller rise or squeal in the sounds.  the deeper the target it wont be so loud and pronounced, but I never look at the meter or the LED's.  Its all by sounds. That is why I take along a regular metal detector and when I get a hit I see if my regular metal detector can detect it and if it does it can discriminate.  If it cant detect the target then i know that the target is deep and that is good.  I have found more cans than anything.  its amazing out deep some cans get buried.
Your best bet is to bury some things and try to go deep and change the size of the object and listen to the sound it makes. 
And like I said I dig every target when Im out in the middle of no where, and if its out of range of my normal detector that is a good sign.

Im heading down to either the Dominican Republic or to Belize in two months to do some more hunting.  Ive never been to Panama only waiting at the airport when I am coming back from Colombia.  I traveled to Colombia alot as well as Peru, but now I am focusing on the beaches, and inlets.  Here in Utah I use it only to look for meteorites, but there is a treasure which as soon as the snow clears I will be using it for a specific site.

Maybe if I make it to Panama we can met up.  Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with....

Do what I did.  Take a unopened can of coke and bury it the length of your arm.  then close your eyes and walk around the area until you come across the sound.  With your eyes closed your ears will take over your senses better and you will get a good ideal of the sound.  It wont be loud, but you will get an ideal of a deep target.

As far as having to reset the pulse all the time this is normal.  This is why they put that convenient toggle switch so you just click it to get it back to normal. It bugged me at first but then I just got use to it.   also make sure you are using a cart or something to pull the loop behind.  I try to walk with me and I prefer to drag it with a plastic cart made out of PVC.  You will find it is more stable. 
I dont use the 18" coil as much so I dont have any experience. Its the same experience.,, you have to keep the coil even with the ground at the same height all the time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21774.msg214380.html#msg214380

Offline lamaison
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Italy

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 03:06:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

hello,I ordered the Lorenz deepmax X6, I'll let you know how it works,I read on some forum that Lorenz is a most innovative and high performance metal detector, (I had a Pulse Star II,good detector), I also had the pulse Ar III detectors unreliable and unstable.
Meanwhile you can see this review in my opinion, very true

Please Register or Login

http://detections.net/le-Blog/Techniques-et-d%C3%A9tections/Detection-et-localisation-a-grande-profondeur-1

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21774.msg214381.html#msg214381

Offline AlbyM
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pulse Star II Pro
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 11:24:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Guys, Thanks so much for the responses.  It's so great to collaborate online with a metal detecting community here since there are very few detectorists in Panama and those that are here tend to be very secretive and isolate themselves for obvious reasons.

SpanishGold- Sounds like we have some similar interests- I'm living in Panama until June at which time I am moving to Colombia (although I've been there many times). You're more than welcome to come check out Panama and we can check out some sites that I have in mind (Or Colombia after June).  I'm definitely going to take your advice about the tests with buying certain metals at certain depths to assess the sounds.  Thanks for that.  I'll let you now my progress and any decent finds..

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21774.msg214395.html#msg214395

Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 01:05:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I would like to come down to panama to hunt if you have a spot in mind.  I can bring my equipment as with some sweat and hard work find something.
I see that your from Angola. What brings you to panama and then back to Colombia?

Do you speak Spanish?  Im self taught in spanish just from traveling and speak more spanglish than pure spanish. I have a very good friend in Medellin Colombia that I am trying to get a visa for her to come to the united states. We have known each other for about two years and she has been turned down every time.

I'll check my schedule as well as the weather conditions. I don't know if panama has a rainy season but That's a factor but I'll take you up on that offer. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone and meet up with you and do some hunting and find something.  Almost always I find stuff when I hunt,  not always but often.
There is a place in Peru that I would love to go back and hunt but I burned my bridge with the land owners daughter so a great place to hunt is out of my reach.  The key their was her father.  He is around 85 years old and still strong as a goat and everyone in the valley knew him very well and the other farmers showed us places and things that they would not tell any one.  The only issue I had as far as security was we were watch constantly by young boys. My business here in the united states is security so I'm aware of everything and take steps to insure safety.

The farmers are the key because they know places, stories and history on their land that you could never read in a book,but as an outsider you need to have someone on the inside to get their trust.
On one adventure down by the boarder of Belize I brought the owner of the land some crunches. He was crippled and that gift gave us the permission to cross the land and having him show us things.  Plus my good friend David,who was guiding us lives in a village not to far away so that connection got us in.   I'll post a picture of our camp when I'm on my home computer.

In the islands and in central and south America,it's the farmers  and fisherman who are the key to finding sites.  If you have a promising site picked out then that's great.

Another key... American beef jerky. Give that out as token of thanks and they love that stuff. I bring a whole backpack of that stuff.

Let's keep in touch,
Keith

Let's keep in touch and plan to meet up.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21774.msg214397.html#msg214397

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: