[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline zul32Topic starter
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« on: May 26, 2010, 02:20:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have a couple of videos I've posted on youtube, and some guy originally from Bulgaria, now lives in Utah asked if I wanted to go m/d with him. I don't even know this person. I just didn't want to end up mugged or stabbed or something like that and the wife get a call from the police that I'm in the hospital, or... on the other hand, it could be perfectly harmless.

So, I wasn't sure what you guys would do? Comments? Suggestions?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14961.msg95881.html#msg95881

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline Paul A
Silver Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

4825.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 02:24:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,
I think I would likely contact him by phone first.
Ask what kind of detector he's got, what he does for a living etc.....
Should give you a pretty good idea if he's genuine.
Being from Bulgaria, he might just need a buddy.... you never know.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14961.msg95883.html#msg95883

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:29:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Don't think about it too much. Use your gut.

What I like to do is get her phone number first, wait a few days then either call or send her a simple text. You don't want to talk too much, you want to leave her wanting more and thinking that she isn't quite good enough for you. It should only take a maximum of 2 minutes to get a date set up. Don't call again after that! I repeat... do not call! Let her call you otherwise you will sound needy...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14961.msg95887.html#msg95887

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 02:35:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Playing off of Paul A's suggestion, if the phone conversation goes well, you might want to meet in a coffee shop or other public place to "plan things out"  (and get a feel for each other) before you go hunting.   Gives you yet another chance to back out if it just doesn't feel right.
     Remember the topic in Beginners, "Can metal detecting be fatal?" (  http://thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11624.msg74757.html#msg74757 )? , yeah it can be dangerous/fatal IF you leave your common sense at home.   Approach this the same way you would any other request to meet about something that interests you.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14961.msg95888.html#msg95888

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 05:05:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When I meet someone from this wonderful Internet world in which we all communicate so freely, I either get to know them via a variety of ways from e-mail to phone calls first. If I have any concerns at all, we then meet in some public place. I certainly wouldn't meet your new found friend in some canyon or arroyo out in the desert. A park, swimming hole or beach would be a good start.

There are several people on this very forum who I would trust completely even though we have never met face to face.

You know who you are. Don't try to hide.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14961.msg95941.html#msg95941

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline LittleJohn
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Golden UMax
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 04:53:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You are in Utah for crying out loud.... Clapp Clapp Clapp....just kidding.  All of the advice above is good advice...email and text....phone calls with someone you dont know are not always the greatest thing.  Pack heat(open carry in Utah)...and go out and have a good time.  Bulgarians are ok people, I lived in Europe for 9 years and never had a problem with them...now the Turks...well thats another story altogether. Club

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14961.msg96031.html#msg96031

Offline mfitzs70
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

820.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 05:48:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

I think is just like anything else we do in our lives. Take for example if someone contacts you and want to so any other thype of sport or hobby. If a guy contacted me and asked if we could go fishing together....I would ask some questions to start with to understand his intentions. If he's talking more about bars, or boating to pick up chicks i'd be concerned. Like said above use your gut. And as my father said never open your wallet in front of anyone.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14961.msg96040.html#msg96040

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 06:16:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

a few years ago on a different site i answerd a post from someone looking for a cashe not to far from my house,it was from a couple who saw signs and pointers everywhere.had two conversations with both of them and figured why not?charged up the video camera and off we went.................they were nut jobs,the both of them and saw it right away.every tree branch,shadow pointed to something that pointed to something else.the freemasons were watching them the KCG was involved,maybe aliens at that point.kept in back of them the whole time,swithblade ready at all times and the camera rolling(they both didn't want to be on tape but i got 'um anyway)surpise!never found anything but a weird story to tell and the tape to prove it.never told the wife where i was going thet day but played the tape for her that nite(was she pissed!)....moral of the story,trust your gut,always keep your eyes open,never trust too soon and be ready for the unexpected.good luck 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14961.msg96049.html#msg96049

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 06:59:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Treasure hunting can bring out the best and worst in people.

Really get to know these people, their interests, their personalities. Always meet in public places have coffee at a cafe or some thing and test them to see how much they lie in their conversations.

All friendships or partnerships to some degree there has to be some trust build up by step by step. Arrange first outing in a group with some people you know there always safety in numbers.

The more inconsistencies the more wary of them you should be. Not everyone is compatible with one another especially out in field.

Some times you have go by your gut instincts. And some times you get to meet amazing people.

Hardluck  Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14961.msg96055.html#msg96055

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 07:21:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

zul in this day and time you have to be careful of even people you know. If your talking about hunting a park or swimming hole were other people are around go for it. If your talking about heading into the wilderness take the time to get to know him better. The nice guy in the world can become a nut case in the woods. I hunt alone and have most of my career as a hunter because I had several bad experiences early  on with partners, but have meet and talk with some people here that I would hunt with in a heart beat. I think KvM once said you had to know the cut of a man before you could partner with him.
Just be careful and trust your gut.  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,14961.msg96059.html#msg96059

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: