[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bluenoserTopic starter
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you150

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

16258.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: October 25, 2011, 02:33:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

From the land of the Bluenose.........  Left the name out and you be the judge of was I being unreasonable?

To:
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 10:33 AM
Subject: broken down freedom 3 plus

From the land of the Bluenose…..a few years back you serviced my Freedom 3 Plus machines which once again need repairing as the sound is gone along with the constant chattering.

Just wondering what the price would be to repair 2 of them if I sent four and asked for the two best back.  Is there a reduction for enclosing the two extra machines for parts?   Have an almost brand new on one the way but there is no other machine for this bouy.  Last time too you added a red light to one and this is not required.  If you have a Freedom 3 Plus for sale....that would be even better!

If the cost is around $275 to $300 taxes and such included I’ll send them.  Last time seemed a bit high for the amount of time before they broke down…..about 2 months.

Thanks in advance.

Leslie A. Sarkany

Here is the reply.

If we are too high, then send them somewhere else for repair. All over the Internet all they can talk about is how fair price we are in our repair. I'm sure if you check, you can find someone somewhere to repair them for you instead of us. Good Luck. Joe Smith, owner

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28118.msg199504.html#msg199504

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:03:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well, I hate to be the one to break this news to you but when you try to set prices for another company, you get what you ask for. The reply was spot-on. If you choose to set prices, you get to choose who repairs your units. Repair shops are not a Turkish bazaar where you bargain for the price you will pay for silk. Basically he said "no" with equal eloquence to your request.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28118.msg199506.html#msg199506

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 09:07:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sorry, I have to go with DG on this one.

Another thought.   It would cost them more in time and labor to use parts from your other machines.

A real can of worms it is! Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28118.msg199521.html#msg199521

Offline coloma gold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:26:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey BN,

I don't think you request was out of line...Sounds like the repairman has a short fuse and is not in the customer relations business.. I would let him know that you will take his advise and go elsewhere and tell all of your friends to do likewise..Coloma Gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28118.msg199523.html#msg199523

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:22:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Coloma, being clever and witty is fine here among friends but in business, it doesn't fit. BN is very witty and amuses everyone here with his posts but that sort of thing can result in a stern reprimand from a business person.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28118.msg199533.html#msg199533

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 05:26:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If we are too high, then send them somewhere else for repair. All over the Internet all they can talk about is how fair price we are in our repair. I'm sure if you check, you can find someone somewhere to repair them for you instead of us. Good Luck. Joe Smith, owner

I agree a 100% and have told more then one customer the same thing. Joe just proved he is good at what he does and is unwilling to compromise.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28118.msg199539.html#msg199539

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 09:13:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

They sure could have been more diplomatic on that responce!

If they would have stated it somewhat like I am here , it would have been much better.

Your offering two other machines for parts would be good if the problems was mechanical or structural.

Your machines are based on SMT technology (Surface Mount Technology), those parts are not something you can just PoP out of one circuit board and PoP onto another.

SMT, requires Precision Placement and Soldering Techniques.

Removal of defective parts without damage to the circuit board in most cases requires destruction of the defective part. Cutting off legs, cutting the part in two and other goodies.

The PCB (Printed Circuit Board) can NOT be damaged.

There prices Should be based on Cost of Parts, Time and Labor, Over Head Cost and a Decent Profit.

I my self can not and will not take on work on SMT boards unless I know as a fact what the problem is and KNOW I can do it without further harm to the Patient. LOL

Attached photo shows what has to be dealt with.

Don't forget we have a Bone Yard for the Dead.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28118.msg199555.html#msg199555

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

circuit-board-PCB-with-SMT-surface-mount-technology-components-including-capacitors-and-resistors-and-IC-microchip-1-AJHD.jpg
untitled.jpg

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:18:01 pm by homefire »
Offline coloma gold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 11:53:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gold Digger,

I believe this whole thing got off on the wrong foot. I think the original request could have been worded differently so that it came across a little differently and therefore the response would have been a little better. However, as you are aware, there is a saying in the merchandising business (and that is really what this is, whether a service or a retailer), the customer is always right. With that in mind, the repairman should have the good sense to merely discount the comment that was originally made and simply respond with something nicer that still got his point across such as, " I'm sorry we cannot work with you on this matter. Perhaps another service provider may be able to better satisfy you".  You still get the point across and are doing better customer service.  A "stern" response from the repairman will only prove that he has no customer service skills.  Coloma Gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28118.msg199563.html#msg199563

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:56:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by coloma gold
I believe this whole thing got off on the wrong foot. I think the original request could have been worded differently so that it came across a little differently and therefore the response would have been a little better.

Exactly right. I like Bluenoser a lot but when you write a letter that looks like a child wrote it, you get an appropriate response to it.

Saying that the customer is always right makes the customer feel good. If I walk into your business and give everyone a pay raise, see how that goes over. The customer is seldom right but the business sometimes has to pretend they are.

For those reading this, when you discuss business with a business, act businesslike. Otherwise, you get the brush and with good reason.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28118.msg199577.html#msg199577

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline coloma gold
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

1065.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

VX3, DFX300
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 01:22:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gold Digger,

"If I walk into your business and give everyone a pay raise, see how that goes over."

You really lost me on this one...

Regardless, I view this whole matter from a somewhat disinterested party and don't wish to make any more comments on the subject. I am only speaking from the perspective of standard accepted business practices. Having been involved in attempting to settle hundred of business lawsuits, I find that both parties usually share fault in these matters and share in poor business/customer practices. Since it is not my problem, I will drop it here.  Coloma Gold

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28118.msg199613.html#msg199613

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: