[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Live2HuntTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States
Referrals: 0

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 350
« on: April 22, 2013, 03:44:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

I was wondering if anyone uses a journal to document their hobby?  If so, what kinds of things do you document?  I am new to the hobby and want to start a journal from day 1.  My detector should be delivered to me on April 26th, so i have a few days to figure out what to document. Here are my thoughts so far...

Location (property address, park name etc) , Date, Time frame of the hunt, finds, maybe detector settings.

If anyone journals already or has any suggestions I would love to hear them. Thanks

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46791.msg256537.html#msg256537

Happy Hunting...

Heather

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 06:42:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Since 1970, I have kept a journal but not for every hunt. Only for significant ones. The reason is simple. I may want to return to places where finds were plentiful but as my skills improve, I also like to return to the places that were not so good and if I journalize them, I may be biased against returning. Thus, when my brain tells me, "You've been here before," I can ignore it and work the ground again. In probably 50% of those cases, my opinion of a place changes.

Over the years, I found a few thiings that might help anyone just starting out. I used to be very concerned about how much area I could cover in an outing. I'd whip across the area from place to place believing that I was just a few steps away from the next best spot. With more experience, I now slow down and focus on smaller areas. I have never been disappointed. I can stand shoulder to shoulder with other friends out detecting and find silver, gold and modern coins all day long while they complain about how sparse the finds are. Focus and slow down. Be thorough. When you arrive at a location, don't just see it as it is today, imagine how it was 40, 50 or 60 years ago. Where you see a small depression might be where a mighty oak once stood. Overgrown areas today might have been the open meadows of yesterday that hosted stickball game and football matches.

Keep your mind open, use a journal. The best use of the journal is to tell you which types of areas are best. Personally, I find that areas which are used for carnivals, a circus or agricultural fair to be the absolute best by far. That's according to my journals. Old parks come in second place and sports fields third. Especially high school sports fields. Your mileage may vary.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46791.msg256542.html#msg256542

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 350
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 08:04:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks so much for your reply. You bring up some great points. Especially the one about becoming biased about a location based on a previous journal entry. I can definitely see how that could happen. I am not too worried about wanting to cover a large area in the beginning. Mostly because I am a very methodical/analytical person. So if there is such a thing as covering an area too much, that will be me.  Crazy 

I have about 6-7 pages in my journal already. They are of places I want to hunt and research I have been doing the last few months.  I found a 1958 black and white aerial map of the city I live in. I am comparing that to a 2012 aerial map. Definitely learning alot just based on that. 

Thanks again for the tips. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46791.msg256544.html#msg256544

Happy Hunting...

Heather

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 08:12:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ah, yes. I don't use a journal for potential sites. I use 3x5 cards with notes for that. After I visit a site and see if it is suitable, I then get permission if needed and make journal entries afterwards if the site merits that. My 3x5 card system can be organized by location quite easily or rearranged by any other means I choose. Soon, I will probably make a database instead but my cards can go with me in a small box. My database will probably be an app for my phone or tablet but that's still a good way off.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46791.msg256545.html#msg256545

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 350
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:17:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

I like the idea of 3x5 cards.  That would be much easier to organize.  I have also looked for Apps for my iPad and have not found anything worth downloading.  Maybe I am just searching the wrong thing but I haven't found anything yet. That might be an idea for a thread in this forum, where people can post names of helpful apps they use.  Anyway, thanks again GD.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46791.msg256549.html#msg256549

Happy Hunting...

Heather

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 03:11:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
My database will probably be an app for my phone or tablet but that's still a good way off.

If you ever make an App for the tablet do think of me old friend.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46791.msg256587.html#msg256587

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:46:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by xavier
If you ever make an App for the tablet do think of me old friend.

Of course, mate. I'm thinking of making the database into an e-book format on demand. In other words, I keep it on my PC and when I publish it, I can select various search criteria and send it to my phone or tablet as a self standing e-book.

The database will be MySQL for transportability and by default the engine will be JavaScript which makes it portable. I just need to carve out some time to do it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46791.msg256634.html#msg256634

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 350
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:16:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Holy crow GD. I am gonna guess you are in the computer or networking business. Best of luck building that software. If you ever need test dummies, keep me in mind.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46791.msg256645.html#msg256645

Happy Hunting...

Heather

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 08:49:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Every piece of software I have ever written for myself has been released free of charge to the general public. So, if I ever write such a beast, it will be free for anyone to use.

Just look in the downloads area for some free e-books I posted here. Free for members. Free for you! Treasure related.

Posted on: April 23, 2013, 04:44:14 PM
I almost forgot. There's also some photo resizing software there for free download. A lot of folks use it to shrink their pictures for attaching here. An almost lossless process that is very intuitive. Small. No installation required. Just put it on your desktop and go.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46791.msg256647.html#msg256647

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 01:09:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD can you tell me what app I must install on my tablet to be able to read these documents and e books as I just tried to open one from our download area and cant open it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46791.msg256728.html#msg256728

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: