[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline williamsingrTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1105.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Authorized White's Dealer, V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 12:37:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

I know this is open format I started the post, I see the do it your self kits and thought about trying to build one sometime just to see if I could and I am sure there are others who cant afford a decent unit. And sure supply and demand and mathematical analysis of what the market will bear plays a part into pricing. If more people could afford a decent machine then maybe more people would be able to enjoy the hobby and if my spot get crowded there are plenty of others and with people losing things all the time you will always be able to hunt the same spots year after year regardless.  Its like i said Im not in this to get rich nor am I trying to turn a profit but if I can make a difference in someones life giving them the best discount I can so they can afford a decent unit and maybe now take their whole family out and enjoy metal detecting sharing those memories of joy together is worth more to me then anything else. You can not put a price tag on a person happiness shared by a whole family.  

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218182.html#msg218182

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 12:43:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by williamsingr
And thats a shame and leads to inadequate products that break down or worse yet break down right after the warranty is up.  things should be made to last and not just last for a little while forcing the customer to keep buying new products and if more pride was taken when making a product and not the underlying overwhelming capitalistic greed for the dollar this whole country would be in a better place

Actually, there is a logical formula for calculating a warranty based on MTBF numbers. Those are Mean Time Between Failure numbers that manufacturers provide with each part they sell. An integrated circuit has a MTBF of around 100,000 hours - quite a lot. A potentiometer might have a mere 1,000 hours of continuous use with a much lower number if it gets dirty. In our use, that happens quite a lot. The highest rate of warranty failure is in the first hour of use. It's referred to as infant mortality in the trade. If your machine is going to fail due to a manufacturering fault, it will most likely happen when you first turn it on or within that first hour.

Those are all statistics that I am citing. The MTBF calculations for an item assembled from 200 parts is not the sum or even the average of all the estimated hours. Use Google to look up the formulas for calculations but that 200 part item generates a number based on the lowest part's number divided by 1/10 the part count. So, a potentiometer with 1,000 hours divided by 20 equals a mere 50 hours. Logic will tell you at this point that the pot will no be turned continually for those hours so the warranty number becomes subjective at this point but has its roots in the math.

It's not the greed of capitalists that drives high prices, my friend. It's the cost of labor. I was discussing this with a friend over breakfast just yesterday. He was complaining about the fact that you can't buy an American made TV today. I waited a while and asked how many TVs he had and he said he had four. "Where did you get them?" I asked. He proudly told me, "I shopped around and found the cheapest I could get!" I asked about his cars, his DVR and several other items and the answer was still the same. He shopped around for the cheapest prices in all cases. Never once did he consider buying an item that was American made because the prices were all too high for him.

Look on eBay and you'll find metal detectors made in China and Germany which are exact copies of American made machines. In both countries, it's legal to make a copy of an item and resell it. Then look around this very forum and see how many people ask about those cheap models and copies. It's a sad state of affairs, William, but the consumer has more to do with demanding low prices than the manufacturers do in setting their prices high to cover their costs over the life of a product. We all demand the lowest price even if it's only a few dollars. There's nothing wrong with being frugal but being cheap is costing the future of retail.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218186.html#msg218186

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:47:48 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1105.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 12:55:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes I agree most definately there are unfortunately a lot of problems with our labor market that cause the sale of goods to rise not to mention theft or shop lifting which causes cost of goods to inflate as well. My goal in this is simple though in trying to help others do something enjoyable and afford a decent machine, thats all.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218188.html#msg218188

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 12:56:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yep!    More then one way to fish.

If you have the know how, you can build a really good machine for say $100.00

Why pay someone $5000.00 to do what ya need if you can do it for a pile less?

The people I'm talking about NAMES NOT MENTIONED are totally based on Reputation that is dwindling because of the repair and services provided.

They do make the best machine out there!

They do have a Reputation for finding the goods.

They DO have a major market share on the widget.

They just don't connect with the consumer.

They have the mentality that if you have to ask how much it cost you can't afford it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218190.html#msg218190

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1105.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 01:02:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Amen Brother ! I can build almost anything out of wood or metal, you have me wondering about electronics a bit more now, could be interesting to see if i can soldier my fingers together...ouch that just sounds painful

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218192.html#msg218192

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 01:07:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

No problem, William. The markets of any kind are more complex that most people imagine. With 7.5 billion consumers out there, I'd wager that there are fewer than 1 million who would even buy a metal detector and probably only 100,000 would would actually buy a brand new one. Divide that up amongst the 300 or so current models on offer and you won't see any one manufacturer getting rich.

I know for a fact that Homefire is putting down Minelab even though he won't mention them and I agree that their prices are very high. I think they could lower them but having lived in Australia, I can understand why they charge so much. Their machines are made with uncommon attention to the rugged handling and use they see in the Australian outback. A failure out there can cost a miner $20,000 a day. They count on the rubberized and ruggedized electronics inside. That coating on the board is not there to foil the wanna be technicians. It's there to keep a PC board from cracking in two as it rolls down a riverbank or drops off a cliff.

Posted on: March 29, 2012, 09:06:25 AM
Quote:Posted by homefire
If you have the know how, you can build a really good machine for say $100.00

And it will perform like one.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218196.html#msg218196

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1105.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 06:57:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have read a lot of good reviews on the 5000 but with the price tag equal to the name I dont see myself dropping that kind of loot. I do know that if you take a 12 inch v rated coil and put it on the White's V3i your depth achieved is about equal to the 5000.  You can pull coins out of the ground 3 feet with it no problem, if its there you will find it. The V3i is still an expensive machine but if you consider the discount I am able to offer then the machine becomes a bit more manageable, but its not a pick up and go machine and takes time to master which most people fail to do being to impatient.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218218.html#msg218218

Offline shortribs
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 07:29:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It's sad to say the we (USA) cannot compete with third world countries as labor is CHEAP there and we as want more people just can't keep the wages down enough to compete. We as america can build and make anything anytime just the wages are the incentive to buy foreign. I for one being a retired teamster will not buy a foreign car no matter what (American loyal) I am, and I shop for usa goods if possible.I'm a Vet and it hurts me to see made in xxxxx on my clothing and items.I was a detector dealer for 25 yrs and Minelab said it cost about 25$ to ship a detector into the usa. As it was stated other countries can clone and sell without provication so sad.  I'm glad detectors stand up as long as they do,as most are made dependable.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218261.html#msg218261

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 07:43:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

LOL! Grinding off Part numbers and painting PCB's with conferment gick has nothing to do with making the PCB bulletproof.

I've worked on Military PCB's and that's not how it's done.

Cool :Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218263.html#msg218263

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 07:47:30 pm by homefire »
Offline poptop
Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 10:41:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My hat is off to all participants on this thread! Great discussion, just lurking and learning.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,35765.msg218280.html#msg218280

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: