[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline treasuremomoTopic starter
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:53:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm curious as to what folks think are some of the best metal detectors ever made over the years. In my opinion the following detectors were among the best of the best: The Garrett Deepseeker VLF/TR,Sea Hunter, Infinium.The Fisher 1265-x, 1266-x,1235-X,1225-X,CZ-5,CZ-6,CZ-20. The Compass Coinscanner Pro, Goldscanner,Goldscanner Pro. The White's 6000 DI Pro,  Eagle 2 XL,MXT,DFX,XLT, Surfmaster Pro. Technetics Eagle,Mark 5. Tesoro Silver Sabre Umax, Bandido 2 Umax,Tejon, 2,Deleon,Cortes,Conquistadore,Cibola. Nautilus DMC-1,DMC-2.Wilson Neuman Daytona. Minelab Explorer,Explorer XS, E-trac,Sovereign,Excalibur. Anchor Electronics' Barracuda pulse water hunting detector. JW Fisher 8x.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg54628.html#msg54628

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:44:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

An Interesting topic you brought up here! Well, personally I wouldn't agree on all of those e.g. not on teh JW Pusle 8X or the Garret Sea Hunter nor the MXT.

Some detectors I would like to include are:

Fisher CZ20, Aquapulse 1B, Gold Scan (both by Eric Foster), Red Heat XD17, Goldmaxx Power, Minelab eTrac.

Regards,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg54644.html#msg54644

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:01:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks christian-I've not used all detectors I mentioned but used most of them-some were definitely better than others--I've never used SeaHunter or JW FISHER 8X-- But liked the MXT. Goldmaxx Power is a british machine, right?  I've heard its a  [great]good unit-but has manual ground bal I think? I'm not a fan of manual ground balance-especially the 10 turn type-------treasuremomo

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg54648.html#msg54648

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 11:03:28 pm by treasuremomo »
Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:25:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The XP Goldmaxx is made by XP, a French company. It has an automatic ground balance and runs very smooth also on heavily mineralised soil. I would dare to say that the XP Goldmaxx and Minelab eTrac are presently probably the best machines around.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg54654.html#msg54654

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline austin
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Eagle 2, Gold Mountain King Cobra
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 04:55:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Compass 77b - a legend... for picking goodies out of iron infested sites, very little can touch it. High frequency 100khz, and needs a lot of practice apparently. Very rare now. I've never used one, just read reports of some massively experienced old timers.

Please Register or Login

http://n2.nabble.com/Just-picked-up-a-Compass-77b-professional-td548181.html

Also the Gold Mountain GMT 1650 is a classic old hot rod, pulls goodies from among small iron, much sought-after by people who know. I've never even seen one for sale, let alone used one. Sigh...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg55712.html#msg55712

Offline oldcoon
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

410.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro, Nautilus and Whites.
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 09:17:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Metrotech.   The best relic machine of it's day.  Back in the 1960 and into the 70s it was the machine.   Large collections of Civil War relics were amassed by Metrotech users.   However, by today's standards it was a fairly primitive machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg55848.html#msg55848

micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 11:04:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I owned a 77b but it wasn't working correctly when I bought it-so I sent it off to Compass and had it repaired and the dang thing still wasn't working right---so I left it in a trash can down at Gulf Shores , Alabama...I had driven all the way down there and thinking it was repaired correctly and whenit didn't work that ticked me off and I threw it away. It probably was a real good unit at one time, though--but it ran off of 12 or more AA  batteries...and had the old D shaped handle.
Posted on: October 25, 2009, 11:34:12 PM
Seems like I heard that the Gold Mountain units worked good in the soil, but I think a fellow I know had one and the coils kept going bad on him....had to send two or three back to company.
Posted on: October 25, 2009, 11:41:21 PM
Gold mountain coils have lots of problems! Thumbs Down Angry

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg55872.html#msg55872

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:10:53 pm by treasuremomo »
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 11:08:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My hunting buddy tenclaw used a metrotech way back in the 1970's and he said it was a pretty decent and deep going machine but no disc mode on it-so he had to dig up all sorts of trash...But it wasn't as user friendly as his Sovereign or the Tesoros...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg55875.html#msg55875

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:13:07 pm by treasuremomo »
Offline oldcoon
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

410.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro, Nautilus and Whites.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 06:42:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes, we had to dig trash back in the day but we didn't think a whole lot about it.   I was after relics so I wanted to dig.   I didn't want to leave anything in the ground.   The Metrotech is a BFO unit and you trained your ear to listen for pitch changes in the machine's hum.   After awhile though I learned that a lead minnie ball made one sound, while a shell or shrapnel made another on account of a high steel content in the metal, brass from a belt buckle or breast plate made another and coins, especially silver, made another.   Your ear sort of became a built in discriminator.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg55912.html#msg55912

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 08:08:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

I got interested in detecting in 1964 when i bought a detector made by a Dutchman who lived in Gelong Victoria Australia, it was a BFO and was told it was designed to find gold. hehehe I was gullible in those days first detector hehe.  It was no good on the gold fields because of iron stone and highly mineralised areas. However on the beach it was a wizard at finding coins together with a load of those dreaded ring pulls hehehe.   Then I went onto to a Whites gold master which was a little better until the first VLFs cam out when i renewed my interest around the 70's with a fisher and upgraded to a Garrett ADS master hunter. I had a load of coils to go with it too including a co-axial coil which had 3 windings in it was was designed to detect near fences.
I used that machine to get into the water with initially and drowned it several times hehe. However I was able to get it working again time after time with a wash in clean water and dipping it in metholated spirits to dry the water.
Then I managed to get an Aqua-sport made by Eric Foster which was a PI and really started to find the real goodies as it was not affected by black mineralised sands or salt water. Hence my love affair with PI detectors. As I was the only person writing about shallow water detecting as I called it I was able to test a lot of new machines that came onto the market and had a whites PI 1000, and 3000 which I still own. Things started to get better when fisher introduced the Impulse which I fell in love with because it was so sensitive and in my opinion was the ultimate machine in its day.  Of course they later produced the CZ20 and that was a fantastic machine. Unfortunately for me I took a friend Mick Killeen out with me to get 2nd opinions so my readers would have two opinions not just mine. Well, Mick was so impressed with it he contacted the dealers behind my back and bought the machine which was the only one in the country at the time.  So i lost that machine to Mick but made money with the article I wrote about it.
I could of tested the excalibur but they made a claim it could detect a brass porthole on the side of a sunken ship which I thought was an exageration. I invited minelab to test the excalibur against a new machine Eric Foster had put onto the market the gold scan 2 which was a much lighter version of the original Goldscan. Minelab refused to be involved but I knew someone who had a Sovereign which had the same circuit board in it.  On wet sands the goldscan found more targets  which the sovereign was incapable of detecting.
Minelab then applied for import duties to be applied to all imported detectors pushing up the prices of the competition I never forgave Minelab for that as they had jumped in on a market I had basically created for them and were fleecing and ripping off detectorist with a leaking machine.  The fun had gone out of detecting by that stage and I wanted to chase bigger and better treasures instead of 3 or 4 grams of gold at that time. Having bought the Pulse Star 2 I was off to merry old england in my quest for King Arthur.
the detectors I use today are an old Whites Spectrum, the 3000, goldscan 2, fisher impulse and my trusty pulse star 2.
On occassions I also hire out a GPR unit as seen below.
{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8716.msg55924.html#msg55924
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb53/jialing-01/ahgpr2.jpg.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:44:01 pm by BitburgAggie_7377 »
Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: