[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BlackXTopic starter
Copper Member

Small government is beautiful.
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: October 22, 2006, 10:00:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

As I posted in the "Saga" thread:

"In trashy areas where I don't dig everything, I...need to figure out how to determine modern, surface junk signals [from the] than older, presumably deeper good signals.  Since I'm mainly looking for coins....With the disc set high, I'll get a lot of quiet beeps but, when I switch to all metal the signal gets really loud.  If I thumb down the disc they also seem to be [louder] junk.  When I dig those signals, they've turned out to be junk every time which tends to be discouraging and makes me not feel like digging as much."  (This paragraph was particularly in reference to a site where I'm hoping to find coins (mainly) from about 1800-1840 but the issues seem to be more general as well.)

What techniques do you use to separate good, deep signals from modern (40 years or so) surface trash? 

_Rich_

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,656.msg4058.html#msg4058

Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac W/X-1 White's DFX  W/4x6 shooter/950 Eclipse/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1 BHID Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000             R.A.T.Phones Max
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 10:36:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Maybe a test garden may help with this.  Just bury a few various known items in an area of your yard and make sure you know what each is and approximately how deep each item is then see what you get when you run your detector over these items.  It will take some time but maybe this will help.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,656.msg4064.html#msg4064

Stringfrenzy

Offline Goldfinger
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug 2
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 09:27:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

If you use a md with discriminater (and who doesn't) you get much better results with a smaller coil like a 6".  Doesnt pick up multiple targets.

Steve

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,656.msg4200.html#msg4200

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 10:07:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

What about strong vs. weak signals?

I'm thinking in particular of aspects like:  when searching w/ discrimination on and getting a weak but solid signal but, when I set it to all-metal, the signal gets very loud.  That sort of thing.  (I'm using a Tesoro Sidewinder uMax if that makes much difference for some aspects.)

_Rich_

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,656.msg4205.html#msg4205

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 11:33:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

i'm not familiar with your detector so I probably shouldn't even reply, but if it has a surface elimination feature, you can set it to the depth you'd like the machine to ignore. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,656.msg4212.html#msg4212

« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 01:56:13 pm by Sweet Sue »
Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

E-Trac W/X-1 White's DFX  W/4x6 shooter/950 Eclipse/Super 12/Bigfoot/DX-1 BHID Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000             R.A.T.Phones Max
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 07:12:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It seems that on some detectors the type of target or the depth could be the cause for a "soft" signal.   May just have to keep digging them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,656.msg4242.html#msg4242

Stringfrenzy

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 10:22:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sadly, no surface elimination feaure here.  Haven't heard of that.  That could be quite handy!

On this theme, I searched by the river today after the big event for almost 2 hours over lunch and and nearly 3 hours after work.  Was trying to concentrate on things dropped over the weekend but kept getting distracted by deeper objects, even though I kept telling myself I'll hit that stuff later.   Funny thing was, even after two days w/ thousands of people, the only things I found that were recent were a memorial cent and a roosevelt dime just lying on the surface.  But both were picked up via visual ID rather than the MD!

But the crowning achievement of the day and my development so far was, at the end of the night when I was pretty much giving up on recent offerings, when I was searching the bank at high disc and hit a weak but solid signal.  Checked it on all-metal and it was still weak but solid.  Dug way the heck into the bank (12"?), including making the hole big enough to try to fit the coil in to pinpoint better.  (I need to get/make one of those handheld pinpointers.  (If I understand what they do correctly.))  And I found two wheats--one '44 and one undateable.  I was pretty happy with that confirmation of my theory of weak but solid signal plus weak but solid all-metal signal equaling deep solid target.  Icing on the cake was that I thought I'd heard a skip--i.e., double beep--and I found two cents.  Cheesy

More on the rest of the day later (in the 'Saga' thread).  I'm wiped and off for bed.

_Rich_

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,656.msg4273.html#msg4273

Offline stringfrenzy
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

19277.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 05:53:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Congrats on the 2 wheats.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,656.msg4278.html#msg4278

Stringfrenzy

Offline Goldfinger
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

370.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Gold Bug 2
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 06:38:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BlackX
What about strong vs. weak signals?

I'm thinking in particular of aspects like:  when searching w/ discrimination on and getting a weak but solid signal but, when I set it to all-metal, the signal gets very loud.  That sort of thing.  (I'm using a Tesoro Sidewinder uMax if that makes much difference for some aspects.)

_Rich_

You will always get a stronger signal in all metal mode then with the discrimination.

I usually hunt with the smallest coil availible - crank the sensistivity up as high as I can go and hunt sow.

Steve

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,656.msg4283.html#msg4283

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 11:41:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BlackX
after the big event for almost 2 hours over lunch and and nearly 3 hours after work.  Was trying to concentrate on things dropped over the weekend . . .Funny thing was, even after two days w/ thousands of people, the only things I found that were recent were a memorial cent and a roosevelt dime just lying on the surface.  But both were picked up via visual ID rather than the MD!ga' thread). 
  _Rich_

It might be easier to find dropped coins if you wait awhile to go look for them. If people were sitting around on the ground, you can probably find piles of mixed coins that slipped out of pockets.

From reading your posts, it sounds like you have a lot of interesting places to detect. Old coins aren't necessarily going to be deep - I could see how some along a river might be if it floods in the area you are searching though. Keep at it as each day with your detector is a learning experience. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,656.msg4323.html#msg4323

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: