[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2011, 08:45:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by denizen
Would you care to delve further? Would you have any advice to help solve my issue of size capacity, instead of berating me? All that sentence has done is almost illicit a negative emotional response. It is imperative I find the smallest power source that will supply 12 volts, while retaining enough amperage to last longer than 5 minutes. I understand an A27 battery has a mere fraction of amperage as compared to an AA. I am not a fool.

In your last post you reveal that you just might be fooling yourself. Perhaps you believe you are not a fool but here's the deal.

AAA batteries maximum current is 800ma. Longer that the 280ma you get from 9v batteries but not longer than the 3000ma you get from AA batteries. Like I said earlier, you may think you are reading and understanding, but clearly you are not.

Berate you? Hardly. I have done my best to "educate" you here. Among all of the people answering you, only one is known to me to be an electronics engineer by trade and training. That would be me. The rest are giving you information from what they have read on the Internet. I am giving you practical advice and you keep on ignoring it. Fool? I won't know that for sure until you come to the table with a full deck of cards ready to play the game.

Now, why don't you start over and explain why it is "imperative" that you find the smallest power source. The answer might be in the high power LiPo cells out there but we cannot possibly know based on what you have told us thus far. Stop being cagey and spill the reasons for us.

Posted on: September 25, 2011, 04:44:29 AM
What are the issues with redesigning a schematic for a larger power source? I see some detectors on the web that show multiple 9 volt batteries and some with only 4 AA. For a metal Detector could one be correct in saying that more power is better? I feel like the more power the further the detectable range. I also understand Coil size and shape have something to do with it. Also, would more power mean greater ability for discrimination, or would the power create a distortion effect much like too much volume through a small speaker?

You CANNOT simply add more power and get deeper range. End of that discussion. Any other reasons?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196242.html#msg196242

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline denizenTopic starter
Chief Executive Slacker
Copper Member

All work and no play makes the soul a lump o' coal
Chief Executive Slacker
Thank you3

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

640.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none at the moment, but soon a TGSL i will build
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2011, 09:35:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
You CANNOT simply add more power and get deeper range. End of that discussion. Any other reasons?

I have already read that earlier and understand that. no need to repeat it. why are you bringing it back up? the current issue is a physically smaller power source. just wishing it could be possible to supply 12v and enough amps to healthily power this thing. LiPo Cells sound expensive..

and i have already explained the reasons! to pack into the smallest housing so i can conserve as much space on a motorbike. this IS important.

i reread the thread and i did miss the part you said about AAAs amperage.. and all this contradictory advice is no help. apparently i have to go with the bulky 8 AA package.
i guess i'll be playing the game with a rigged deck of AA batteries.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196294.html#msg196294

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2011, 12:07:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The fact is that AA batteries are not that much bigger than AAA batteries but the capacity is a much greater benefit. What good is a smaller package if you only get an hour or so from the detector?

LiPo is not that expensive. They are very popular with radio control hobbyists and the sheer number of manufacturers are driving the price way down.

Posted on: September 25, 2011, 08:01:34 PM
and all this contradictory advice is no help.

The problem is that there are a lot of people here who THINK they understand a bit about electronics but very few who are experts in the field. Look towards the technical forums and ask there instead of the general forum on detectors. We have a few technical forums which are frequented by technicians and engineers who can help you a lot better and with more factual information.

I find it a real shame that the qualifications of moderators here are not listed for the benefit of the users.

Posted on: September 25, 2011, 08:04:56 PM
and i have already explained the reasons! to pack into the smallest housing so i can conserve as much space on a motorbike. this IS important.

It's nice to reduce your battery pack by 40% but hardly essential. Even 8AA batteries are smaller than a sandwich.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196301.html#msg196301

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline wb4rav
Bronze Member

Any day detecting is better than a day at work
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 1100, Cen-tech pinpointer, Bounty Hunter 2200 Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Bounty Hunter pinpointer
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2011, 07:53:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Among all of the people answering you, only one is known to me to be an electronics engineer by trade and training. That would be me. The rest are giving you information from what they have read on the Internet.

No offense but I also have two years of electronics engineering, 21 years experiance in thge feild, a ham license that dates back to 1968 when you had to take test test under the FCC,and a general radio telephone license grandfathered from the old first class license. Also work with computers and make most of my own ham equipment.  Just sayin'

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196332.html#msg196332

WB4RAV

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2011, 08:12:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by wb4rav

No offense but I also have two years of electronics engineering, 21 years experiance in thge feild, a ham license that dates back to 1968 when you had to take test test under the FCC,and a general radio telephone license grandfathered from the old first class license. Also work with computers and make most of my own ham equipment.  Just sayin'

None taken. I wasn't referring to you but you do help to clarify one point I made. Your credentials are not known. When someone here who doesn't even know Ohm's Law or the laws of electrical power, it becomes painfully obvious when they make statements that just won't work or might actually do damage to a device. You know what I mean.

In order to spare feelings here, I don't mention names but clearly some of the folks here should keep their greenhorn noses out of questions like the ones asked here. For those of you who know who you are, read this and pay attention. Keep your yap shut if you don't have a clue what you are discussing or I will no longer remain silent on your stupidity. I will trot you out for all to see as the "horses behind" you really are.

Sorry, wb2rav. I recognized your name here was a call sign and I was not referring to you. My HAM license goes back to the 1950s, although I have not participated since the 1970s. I have been in the field of electronic design since 1970 and continue in the present. I have a few patents and 4 of them issued to my former company are to do with metal detecting circuit improvements that are still in use today.

I really shouldn't care if anyone uses the wrong battery or tries to drive a coil too large. In fact, I don't. What I care about is wrong information being posted here, back slapping about how brilliant this guy or another one is when it is all nonsense. What happens is this becomes Gospel over time and people who don't know any better start believing wrong information. Just like in this thread. We have people here giving out bad advice and absolutely incorrect theory which, unless corrected, rattles around inside a beginner's head for the rest of his life. Not good.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196334.html#msg196334

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline denizenTopic starter
Chief Executive Slacker
Copper Member

All work and no play makes the soul a lump o' coal
Chief Executive Slacker
Thank you3

Activity
0%

United States

640.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none at the moment, but soon a TGSL i will build
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2011, 10:24:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

i almost don't mind using AAAs and getting a fraction of the use time, as i've said i don't plan on using the device any longer than 10 minutes in a day. heck, i could probably hook a danged solar panel on the thing and get as much time as i wanted out of the charge it created at any single usage. but that's a silly notion and please don't take me serious on this!
I also don't want a large coil, i believe i said this as a question regarding what was necessary with higher power, finding out the circuitry is preset for 12V @ a desired amperage and is now totally irrelevant. in fact i want a small one to pinpoint smaller bits. widescan. please don't reply to that sentence either as i've researched enough to my own satisfaction.

the starting comment of this thread was one of a noob who was merely soliciting for opinions and advice, which evolved to something different. i'm not as noob-ish as the first comment. thus is the route of being learned. thanks for the advice and the proper info on batteries. i wasn't fully aware of A27 batts being total crap for this project until previous clarification. from where i stand this thread has served it's purpose for me. Now i debate on whether i want to use AAs and get more usage out of them but sacrifice space in the bike panniers, or go with AAAs and sacrifice the necessary money required to replace them more frequently. It's a decision of subjectivity that no new light shed on this decision could sway either way other than my own.

ham radios are an interesting topic though.. for another thread/forum.

Much Thanks!  Wink i've been working so many hours i don't think i'll finish my TGSL project any time soon.. Sad

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196341.html#msg196341

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2011, 10:44:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Is this for the TGSL project or something else.

There may be other options.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196345.html#msg196345

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2011, 06:45:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

i almost don't mind using AAAs and getting a fraction of the use time, as i've said i don't plan on using the device any longer than 10 minutes in a day. heck, i could probably hook a danged solar panel on the thing and get as much time as i wanted out of the charge it created at any single usage. but that's a silly notion and please don't take me serious on this!
I also don't want a large coil, i believe i said this as a question regarding what was necessary with higher power, finding out the circuitry is preset for 12V @ a desired amperage and is now totally irrelevant. in fact i want a small one to pinpoint smaller bits. widescan. please don't reply to that sentence either as i've researched enough to my own satisfaction.

the starting comment of this thread was one of a noob who was merely soliciting for opinions and advice, which evolved to something different. i'm not as noob-ish as the first comment. thus is the route of being learned. thanks for the advice and the proper info on batteries. i wasn't fully aware of A27 batts being total crap for this project until previous clarification. from where i stand this thread has served it's purpose for me. Now i debate on whether i want to use AAs and get more usage out of them but sacrifice space in the bike panniers, or go with AAAs and sacrifice the necessary money required to replace them more frequently. It's a decision of subjectivity that no new light shed on this decision could sway either way other than my own.

ham radios are an interesting topic though.. for another thread/forum.

Much Thanks!  Wink i've been working so many hours i don't think i'll finish my TGSL project any time soon.. Sad

The difference in size for AA versus AAA in a detector already in a box of a predetermined size is negligible. You have wasted much of our time here, mate. Next time, if you don't have a real question that needs answering, take it down the hall to the Questions That Don't Really Need Answers Department. See Daffy Duck.

Even though you didn't ask about it, be mindful of building your machine using the recommended batteries of AA and then experiment with the lower amperage batteries. If the batteries don't have the power to start the machine working at all, it's nice to know that your circuitry has been verified beforehand. Good luck with your project.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196363.html#msg196363

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:47:12 am by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2011, 02:45:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Now here is an application for a flux capacitor 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196399.html#msg196399

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2011, 04:04:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Try these!  LOL

Please Register or Login

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://theodoregray.com/periodictable/Samples/094.3/s7s.JPG&imgrefurl=http://theodoregray.com/periodictable/Elements/094/index.s7.html&h=228&w=228&sz=11&tbnid=4V3-g1m6N2RwAM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=89&prev=/search%3Fq%3Datomic%2Bbattery%2Bphoto%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=atomic+battery+photo&docid=EZqPbe7lvcnM2M&sa=X&ei=Ke-ATs2fO-nfiALnnZT6DA&ved=0CEQQ9QEwDA&dur=13847

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196404.html#msg196404

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: