[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline wb4rav
Bronze Member

Any day detecting is better than a day at work
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

1780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 1100, Cen-tech pinpointer, Bounty Hunter 2200 Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Bounty Hunter pinpointer
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2011, 05:22:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Sorry, wb2rav. I recognized your name here was a call sign and I was not referring to you. My HAM license goes back to the 1950s, although I have not participated since the 1970s. I have been in the field of electronic design since 1970 and continue in the present. I have a few patents and 4 of them issued to my former company are to do with metal detecting circuit improvements that are still in use today.

No problem. What's your call? Forgot to mention 3years in 82 Airborn as a " radio operator" pounding brass!   Wink

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196410.html#msg196410

WB4RAV

Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2011, 05:34:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Not to be taken orally huh Homefire, lol. Thats a lot of power in one little package.

You want depth get a two box or PI machine. You want gold, get a gold machine. You want power, Ground Penetrating Radar comes to mind. Good luck getting permits or a license for it here.

Your store bought machine is tuned at the factory and any change you make will most likely not help, if not destroy the machine. After attempting to repair a yard sale rescue I can tell you that your better off sticking to manufactures recommendations.

There is many a good article on detectors and coil making. If building your own, that would be a good place to start. If modifying your old detector, make sure you have one that can be modified and you know what those modifications are. I have a Red Baron on my wish list just for that purpose.

Maybe you are confusing programmable detectors with the power supply. I have seen older detectors that ran two separate power supply's but have no knowledge as to why. I dont know how I would feel with a programmable detector just yet. I do good with my simplistic Bounty Hunter 202.

Like your ham radio, as you change power settings or hardware, you still want to tune or tweak it. Your detector is a much more sensitive machine affected by all sorts of things. Electrical interference is just one. More power would probably cause the machine to just null out. I would not recommend adding more power or tweaking your detector unless you know what your doing.

Im confused as to why you want more power. I can find objects as deep as 3 feet with one of my low end machines. I hate digging 6 inches, and forget about digging 3 feet. I keep my finds to the top 3 inches as I can cover more ground and seem to do better on the silver.

The more power I give to my machine, the less accurate it is on identifying the target. Full power causes falsing. Each hunt I have to tune the machine to the hunt. I am happy to report I get a good service out of my 9 volts battery's. Should I switch to a rechargeable battery? Since rechargeable battery's tend to be less hotter, but last longer. I have thought about switching over to them. I have noticed new battery's tend to make the machine hotter. But believe the rechargeable would have a slower drain of power and give me better results in the end.

Each time I have changed battery brand or bought a new coil I have had to play with the detector till I figured out what settings I wanted. I dont understand why you want more power so I cant suggest anything except buy the detector for the job you want use it for.

Im leaning towards a Fisher F4 and Gold Bug II. Not only did I like what I have read about these machines, but I know people who actually own them. So if your gonna build or buy a detector, it all depends on your preference. Now if you just want to modify a detector, please post your results so we all can learn.

All the different power options I have noted can be found in the forum. I usually start there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196411.html#msg196411

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2011, 06:32:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just offering another Call!  LOL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196414.html#msg196414

Offline wb4rav
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 1100, Cen-tech pinpointer, Bounty Hunter 2200 Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Bounty Hunter pinpointer
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2011, 08:49:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by casca
I am happy to report I get a good service out of my 9 volts battery's. Should I switch to a rechargeable battery? Since rechargeable battery's tend to be less hotter, but last longer. I have thought about switching over to them

Casca, google 9.6v nmh battery and you will find one that is an actual 9.6v and mot the standard 8.4v. BH recommends them as the only rechargeable to use in thier machines.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196486.html#msg196486

WB4RAV

Offline avision4u2liveby
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2435.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

T2 SE Limited, Fisher F2 backup
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2011, 04:40:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by wb4rav

Casca, google 9.6v nmh battery and you will find one that is an actual 9.6v and mot the standard 8.4v. BH recommends them as the only rechargeable to use in thier machines.

did you mean 9.6v nimh battery?  or is nmh correct?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196541.html#msg196541

:tecknetics: :fisher:

Offline wb4rav
Bronze Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1780.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2011, 07:14:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by avision4u2liveby
did you mean 9.6v nimh battery?  or is nmh correct?

Sorry. old age at it again. Seem to have missed a key. Cry

Batteries plus has that 9.6v nimh battery. Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196593.html#msg196593

WB4RAV

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:17:28 am by wb4rav, Reason: addition »
Offline casca
Bronze Member

some where else.
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2245.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Pioneer 202 Bounty Hunter, cen-tech pinpointer, Chicago Tools 43150.
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2011, 09:57:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Guys this is why this site is my top bookmark for travels. I feel guilty I dont post finds more often. I do know if you insert the battery's in the BH 202 wrong it goes crazy. Guy I bought it from thought he had broke it. So I think power is a very good subject, they guy just hit it at the wrong angel. I do appreciate the help as my other sites is full of seer's and card readers lol. Somewhere in the middle we all meet for a great time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27107.msg196665.html#msg196665

The more I learn, the less I know.

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8    Go Up
Jump to: