[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 03:49:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Nc-Dirty-digger
fo some reason i thought you could'nt use stranded wire for making coils.. so your telling me you can

You CAN use any wire but you have to follow the plans when building a detector from someone else's design.

The wire someone here was using in a project came from insulated single wire from CAT5 cable recently. Since the diameter of the wire was close to the coil recommended wire, he thought he was going to be all right. Unfortunately, the wire was insulated and that insulation was a total of .08mm thick thereby increasing (not decreasing) the capacitance of the coil and changing the impedance. The coil failed to work. When rebuilt using the same diameter wire in the varnish coated magnet wire configuration, it worked perfectly.

So, if your design is made with stranded, plastic insulated wire then using that wire is the ONLY configuration that will work. If you are given nothing but an impedance reading, you can design your own coil using standard calculations regarding winding, core and diameter. It's complicated but not all that difficult if you set down to the task.

You probably assumed that stranded wire couldn't be used when someone asked a specific question about a specific coil they were winding. Any wire can be used as long as it is either insulated by plastic or varnish. The insulation is important because otherwise the wire just shorts against itself and you have a single loop of wire no matter how many turns are in the coil.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9232.msg59332.html#msg59332

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Nc-Dirty-diggerTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

745.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab xterra70/garrett1350/minelab relic hawk
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 01:38:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

oh well i was think that was the point..so after you do all your winding you the add another layer of insulation withe your wrap?and then a shield?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9232.msg59383.html#msg59383

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 06:44:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

oh well i was think that was the point..so after you do all your winding you the add another layer of insulation withe your wrap?and then a shield?

If you are designing your own coil, I see no reason not to do that but unless the directions tell you to do that, do not. Follow the directions of the person who designed your coil. At least at first. If you want to experiment, do it on your next coil, not the first one you ever build. The tolerances on some of the devices you are dealing with are sometimes on the edge of being critical and a single wrong move can make your project inoperable. So, unless the instructions say to wrap it in insulation, DON'T!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9232.msg59406.html#msg59406

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 11:51:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

fo some reason i thought you could'nt use stranded wire for making coils.. so your telling me you can

AHA!

So you missed the big rant, last summer, about Litz wire.... The theory is that litz wire is more efficient because it can lower 'skin effect losses.'   Kiss  Kiss

My research indicates that proximity effect losses are greater than skin effect losses and litz wire has zero effect on proximity losses. Both contribute to 'distributed capacitance' which is not REAL capacitance although the effects are is if there were a real capacitance Confusing, isn't it!  Cool

The best way to avoid skin effect, is litz wire, and that does not have to be multiple, enamelled, strands of wire. Any multi-strand wire IS litz wire.... even speaker wire. Speaker wire has thick insulation... lowers proximity losses. Some speaker (Litz) wire has silver covered copper strands.... marginally lower resistance:  the cost is too high:

There is the law of 'diminishing return...' you can only do so much, beyond which, it is pointless.

Planar coils, though harder to make, are easier to calculate and have a little less distributed capacitance. And this goes for PI to BFO.

If you have an LCR bridge (not a PIC LC bridge... it is not a real BRIDGE,) you can measure your coil at the lowest possible frequency, then find the natural resonance of the coil, and using your low frequency inductance figure, you can calculate the effective, distributed capacitance.... not that it is big enough to hurt anything. Mostly it is a practice in frustration!  Shocked

Multi-strand wire is great! Thick insulation is great.... just keep weight in mind, you do not want 10 pound coil, out at the end of the shaft, you have to find your optimum choice for yourself, mostly.  Grin Grin

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9232.msg59590.html#msg59590

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 11:53:52 pm by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline Nc-Dirty-diggerTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United States

745.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab xterra70/garrett1350/minelab relic hawk
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 05:58:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

interesting! i'm gonna get some that i was thinking about using and take a picture of it for you to see and let me know what you think would be the best way to use it/ make a coil. but that will have to wait until later in the week as im working this weekend and do not have the time to do it right now.but if this wire im thinking about works it should be great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9232.msg59622.html#msg59622

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 06:14:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

interesting! i'm gonna get some that i was thinking about using and take a picture of it for you to see and let me know what you think would be the best way to use it/ make a coil. but that will have to wait until later in the week as im working this weekend and do not have the time to do it right now.but if this wire im thinking about works it should be great

Depends on inner/outer diameters, and how much inductance you want, and frequency of pulses... what is recommended, anyway. The system I want to build, will have 4 ohms impedance at 15.36 kHz, so dc resistance has to be kept low with large gauge wire, and would be 41.44 uHys. If I used a 12" outer diameter, 10" inner, and 8 turns would be 39.111 uHys, aprox, while 9 turns (this is 8 turns per inch with 1/8 total insulation,) is 48.93 uHys. So I would rather use 9 turns.... it is safer, and only 4.72 ohms impedance.... independent of dc resistance which at only 25.62 feet of #18 speaker wire, if 10 ohms per 1k feet, is about 1 ohm. I do not recall 1000 ft resistance of 18 gauge. To find your wire length, take the average diameter of the coil and multiply this average dia, by 3.1415, for inches and multiply by number of turns, to get tot5asl length in inches. Change to feet and look on the chart for this gauge wire, divide the total length by 1000 and multiply the 1000 ft resistance. You now have the approximate resistance (dc) of the coil. Try a DVM and see if it corresponds. The 1000 ft figure is for planning, actual resistance can be measured.

If you really think distributed capacitance would be a problem, and you have an LCR bridge, not a PIC inductance meter, you use as low a frequency as possible to find the inductance at 100 ohms (for 40 uHy, it would be 400 kHz,) then find the self resonance, you can calculate the distributed capacitance, which for 9 turns would be insignificant. (Divide self-resonance frequency by the first inductance, and then divide by 6.283, then your answer will be capacitance.)

Next question?  Grin

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9232.msg60227.html#msg60227

goldigger

Offline greylourie
Pull Tab

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 02:46:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Circuit boards for two metal detectors are available on the Geotech website, and Chemelec website. Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,9232.msg60518.html#msg60518

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: