[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Melbeta
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2009, 03:26:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Okay, I know a bit about coils, second hand knowledge from a engineer friend of mine, who worked at Tranex in Colo Springs, and from what Charles Garrett told me about Garrett coils. So I will relate each here.

First the Tranex guy. He made a bunch of different sized coils for his older Garrett ADS machine. What he did was, he took a shield wire, I do not recall its size, hooked it up to the detector, and had the detector control knobs, set for the center in tuning. He had the audio turned up full blast. Then he started to coil the cable, around a wooden board layout, to help him control where the coils went, and how they would coil in perfect circle. He coiled until he got something, I do not recall whether it was a hum, or no hum. I think it was a hum. Then he said that is it, and cut the cable. He made 2", 3", 5", 7", 10", 12", and I think that was all the sizes.

Now on what Charles Garret told me. If you have some Garrett coils, then you contact Garrett, tell him the detector model, and the coils models, and he will send you a rewire schematic, and you can rewire them to work on your machine. I did it myself. In fact, he even sent me some different connectors, as it took diff connectors to make the older coils interface with the newer machines. I still have that schematic stored somewhere. Now on the Garrett Ground Hog coils, they are different from the normal coils, so you cannot revise those. They only work on Ground Hog.

So if someone is looking for some larger older Garrett coils, I still have some left in storage, all brand new, just old coils. I used to be a Garrett dealer, and had bought some older coils from a former Garrett dealer, and Charles Garrett was so kind as to give me help converting them over, so I could sell them on newer machines. Unfortunately, I did not sell all of them, and still have some of them left in storage.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3831.msg63964.html#msg63964

Offline wael69
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

own
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2011, 06:26:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

good thing how i can belt my on serch coil

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3831.msg175825.html#msg175825

Offline tatumj
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett, Fisher, homebuilt
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 06:25:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

I built one of Gary's units about 4 years ago. I lived in Hazlehurst, GA then but now live in Bainbridge, GA. There is a picture on Gary's page.

Please Register or Login

http://www3.telus.net/chemelec/Projects/Metal/Pictures/Joe2.jpg

The coil form is a plant coaster from Walmart. I sprayed the form with 3M glue from a spray can to hold the wire in place until I could pot it with epoxy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3831.msg179080.html#msg179080

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4    Go Up
Jump to: