[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 03:37:54 pm »
Go Up Go DownBest Answer

Hi Bill,

Welcome to Thunting & the forums.
Your going to enjoy the variety here and all the friendly members.

Love beach & treasure diving, as well as Spanish fleet wreck lore...

Regards from New York,  Great
Jim

Quote:Posted by ropesfish
Hi folks.
I'm new here and would like to say hello from Sebastian, FL. I look forward to participating in the forums.
I'm an under-employed engineering type.
Thanks for having me.
Bill

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27814.msg197381.html#msg197381

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:39:35 pm by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim

ropesfishTopic starter

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 08:02:09 pm »
Go Up Go DownBest Answer

Thanks for all the greetings and kind words.
I have to admit I am not a very good treasure hunter and even less of a treasure finder. My biggest finds have historically been old cars languishing in barns in the middle of nowhere. I've done some metal detecting around old homesteads which have paid off a time or two.
Short version of life story follows in order to answer some questions posed:
When I was 2 years old my parents moved us from Miami to the middle of Kansas. My grandparents and parents have raised and raced greyhounds since the mid 1930's. Once or twice a year we would go see my Mom's folks and family who were still in Florida. One of Mom's brothers was quite the beach rat and had found several gold coins on the beach and in the water back in the 1950's and 1960's. He was very proud of them and every time we'd go see Uncle Paul he'd pull them out of his safe and tell us how and where he'd found each one. Over the years he kept me up to date on all the reasons why I should move back to Florida and go find treasure with him. Unfortunately life got in the way and I spent the next 35 or 40 years landlocked in Kansas raising greyhounds and getting just an ocassional trip to somewhere with an ocean (and a dog track).
During the decades in Kansas I rodeoed for quite a few years, competing as a team roper. Since there were a million people that wanted to rope the steer by the head (that being the more exciting role) I learned to heel cattle and did it pretty well. That led to my original nickname: Ropesfeet. A truck wreck took out my shoulder and my rodeoin' days were through.
I ran horseback all-age field trial bird dogs for a decade or two to fill the void and had some successes. Adrenaline addiction is expensive habit.
When I was getting closer to turning 50 I read Jimmy Buffett's book "A Pirate Looks at 50" again and decided that I needed to do something before I was to old and crippled up to do anything fun.
In 2005 I retired and went back to college in...you guessed it...Florida. I attended Brevard Community College and UCF. I managed to get BS degrees in Mechanical Design and Operations Engineering Technology and an AS in Electronics Engineering Technology, graduating in May 2010. I had planned to attend the FIT Ocean Engineering program, but realized that graduating at 54 or 55 was enough of a handicap, Ocean Engineering is, IMHO, a degree that postions you more for a graduate degree than going straight into the workforce. Not enough time left to do a Master's, no matter how much I'd like to. I wanted to build stuff.
I've spent the last year in Kansas taking care of my aging parents. We leave next week to return to Florida for good...or at least a good long while.
With all that said...I am more of a "how you do it" guy than a historical researcher. I've built an ROV or two and have got some ideas about using autonomous surface vessels for doing mag and sonar survey work. I've also been toying with a new approach to working in very shallow water environments in active surf zones.
I dive, I build stuff and I have some big plans for finding stuff...am I gonna fit in?
Oh yes...when I told one of my old roping partners that I was moving to Florida he asked "What the heck are you gonna do in Florida, rope fish?" I said..."yep". I just have to rope them with a circle hook.
OK..enough about me...thanks again for the warm welcome

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27814.msg197388.html#msg197388

Offline gambol1
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 02:50:28 am »
Go Up Go DownBest Answer

Ropefish, OK, so now we know how you got your handle. Stranger things have happened. Interesting. I went back to school when I was 48. after 15 years as a Manufacturing Engineer. Got a masters in Hydrogeology at USF just as the bottom fell out of the market.-Always wanted to be a Geologist but there are no rocks in Florida so I settled for Hydro.- Came to the same conclusion as you. 50 was too old to start over. Went back to work as a Engineer for another 6 years then worked for the State for 5 and retired. Took up metal detecting and here I am. Happy as a pig in mud. Except for the weather. Up here in Tampa it's lousy today which is a big disappointment because I had a dig-and-sieve hunt planned tomorrow with my favorite digger... My daughter and soon to be detectorist. Between detecting and growing native plants I keep busy. I am also the chief tinkerer. or as my wife puts it Head Putzer. When you are retired you can do that sort of thing. gambol Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27814.msg197407.html#msg197407

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 10:55:50 pm »
Go Up Go DownBest Answer

I cant think of anyone that would fit into this forum and hobby as good or more so than you.  Great

I enjoyed reading this, and I look forward to chatting with you more & more with indepth chat on your inventions and designs you have in your mind. Looks like treasure will be found in your lifetime mate, and I think you'll have a huge hand in finding it for sure.

Cheers,  Wink
Jim

Quote:Posted by ropesfish
Thanks for all the greetings and kind words.
I have to admit I am not a very good treasure hunter and even less of a treasure finder. My biggest finds have historically been old cars languishing in barns in the middle of nowhere. I've done some metal detecting around old homesteads which have paid off a time or two.
Short version of life story follows in order to answer some questions posed:
When I was 2 years old my parents moved us from Miami to the middle of Kansas. My grandparents and parents have raised and raced greyhounds since the mid 1930's. Once or twice a year we would go see my Mom's folks and family who were still in Florida. One of Mom's brothers was quite the beach rat and had found several gold coins on the beach and in the water back in the 1950's and 1960's. He was very proud of them and every time we'd go see Uncle Paul he'd pull them out of his safe and tell us how and where he'd found each one. Over the years he kept me up to date on all the reasons why I should move back to Florida and go find treasure with him. Unfortunately life got in the way and I spent the next 35 or 40 years landlocked in Kansas raising greyhounds and getting just an ocassional trip to somewhere with an ocean (and a dog track).
During the decades in Kansas I rodeoed for quite a few years, competing as a team roper. Since there were a million people that wanted to rope the steer by the head (that being the more exciting role) I learned to heel cattle and did it pretty well. That led to my original nickname: Ropesfeet. A truck wreck took out my shoulder and my rodeoin' days were through.
I ran horseback all-age field trial bird dogs for a decade or two to fill the void and had some successes. Adrenaline addiction is expensive habit.
When I was getting closer to turning 50 I read Jimmy Buffett's book "A Pirate Looks at 50" again and decided that I needed to do something before I was to old and crippled up to do anything fun.
In 2005 I retired and went back to college in...you guessed it...Florida. I attended Brevard Community College and UCF. I managed to get BS degrees in Mechanical Design and Operations Engineering Technology and an AS in Electronics Engineering Technology, graduating in May 2010. I had planned to attend the FIT Ocean Engineering program, but realized that graduating at 54 or 55 was enough of a handicap, Ocean Engineering is, IMHO, a degree that postions you more for a graduate degree than going straight into the workforce. Not enough time left to do a Master's, no matter how much I'd like to. I wanted to build stuff.
I've spent the last year in Kansas taking care of my aging parents. We leave next week to return to Florida for good...or at least a good long while.
With all that said...I am more of a "how you do it" guy than a historical researcher. I've built an ROV or two and have got some ideas about using autonomous surface vessels for doing mag and sonar survey work. I've also been toying with a new approach to working in very shallow water environments in active surf zones.
I dive, I build stuff and I have some big plans for finding stuff...am I gonna fit in?
Oh yes...when I told one of my old roping partners that I was moving to Florida he asked "What the heck are you gonna do in Florida, rope fish?" I said..."yep". I just have to rope them with a circle hook.
OK..enough about me...thanks again for the warm welcome

Posted on: October 09, 2011, 10:51:39 PM
Hey Gambo1,

You too sir are a pleasure to read. I think you'll be finding a treasure or two before you really retire, and so I'm glad to have met you guys here on Thunting.

I think a nice spring or fall GTG "Get To gether" would be a great thing to happen, it sure would be a special time for all.  Great

Cheers,
Jim

Quote:Posted by gambol1
Ropefish, OK, so now we know how you got your handle. Stranger things have happened. Interesting. I went back to school when I was 48. after 15 years as a Manufacturing Engineer. Got a masters in Hydrogeology at USF just as the bottom fell out of the market.-Always wanted to be a Geologist but there are no rocks in Florida so I settled for Hydro.- Came to the same conclusion as you. 50 was too old to start over. Went back to work as a Engineer for another 6 years then worked for the State for 5 and retired. Took up metal detecting and here I am. Happy as a pig in mud. Except for the weather. Up here in Tampa it's lousy today which is a big disappointment because I had a dig-and-sieve hunt planned tomorrow with my favorite digger... My daughter and soon to be detectorist. Between detecting and growing native plants I keep busy. I am also the chief tinkerer. or as my wife puts it Head Putzer. When you are retired you can do that sort of thing. gambol Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27814.msg197470.html#msg197470

Best Regards,
Jim

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.