[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BloodhoundTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XLT
« on: September 07, 2009, 11:01:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi All  Hello
I am new here, also new to metal detecting,
have been told whites XLT  machine is simple to use, fantastic at finding all sorts of stuff, good for beginner (point & shoot) & easy to learn the many more tekno bits as i go,
can also programme/ upgrade when the time comes.....

So far whites XLT for ?500GBP was the cheapest price of my ring around,
unless anyone know's of a cheaper price in the UK ? I will likley go ahead

Price includes
2 Year warrantee, Charger pack, coil cover, bullseye 11 pointer,DVD, and delivery included.

Would be greatful to anyone who knows for a cheaper stockist..

Thanks all in advance  Grin

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7754.msg48537.html#msg48537

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:49:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome aboard! Well, the XLT is indeed a good machine. I've had one for many years. However the XLT is a detector dating back to the early 90's and can no longer compete with nowadays detector in depth, target ID and ease of use. I would recommenc buying a XP Goldmaxx power at this price! I had paid around 500.00 Pounds for mine and this was about 12 years ago so I think the price is too high.

Best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7754.msg48748.html#msg48748

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline tabdog
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4460.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:31:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hay Bloodhound,

Welcome from Arkansas.

Tha XP Goldmax sounds nice to me.

I wish I had one.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7754.msg48938.html#msg48938

Offline danwebster
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

2775.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT  and  Surfmaster II
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 09:02:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have an XLT and i dig coins at 9-10" well if the newer machines go deeper than that then good luck diggin, cause the deeper you go the harder it is to dig so if the newer machines go deeper better have a big shovel or a spade to dig.....The XLT is a great machine learn it and it will serve you well!! Good luck huntin....DW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7754.msg48954.html#msg48954

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XLT
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:21:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Christian,

looked up on the net,you are right, this new machine goes deeper, and is very sensative,
only downside according to review could be a handful for a new starter like me

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7754.msg49069.html#msg49069

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XLT
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 04:24:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Tabdog

Thanks fpr the welcome, I hope to decide on a machine soon, will then get out in the Welsh countryside and hope to strike some treasure.

Not use to the site yet so hope this reply is posted in the correct place.........

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7754.msg49070.html#msg49070

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XLT
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 04:31:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well Thanks for the advise Danwebster... good to hear your view on the XLT .. STILL A BIT UNDECIDED ON WHAT TO BUY , but itching to have a go at discovering something old and undiscovered..not so sure about luggin a bigger shovel.. would rather a bigger holdall for the extra finds in the Welsh hills

Thanks again for your opinion
Quote:Posted by danwebster
I have an XLT and i dig coins at 9-10" well if the newer machines go deeper than that then good luck diggin, cause the deeper you go the harder it is to dig so if the newer machines go deeper better have a big shovel or a spade to dig.....The XLT is a great machine learn it and it will serve you well!! Good luck huntin....DW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7754.msg49071.html#msg49071

Offline joechip4
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sovereign, Gold Max Power, Tejon, Fieldmaster SMX90...
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 05:10:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi,
I have (and use) an XP GMP and I agree, it is a very, very good MD. It has been very, very popular in France (where it is rather expensive: more than 800 euros). But I would not recommend it for someone new to treasure hunting. Depending on the soil I think it is not always easy to tune and I sometimes found it quite unstable. But I am not a good hunter, I have been more interested in tech than in hunting...  Sad

Bloodhound, my advice would be many hunters' advice : based on a budget, on your own "requirements" (what kind of targets do you intend to find (XP GMP will find very small ones), in what kind of soil (this is a key criterion), tone only, ID, ...), check all the existing MDs from main manufacturers and try to "play" with them.
Since you will spend hours hunting, you have to feel very comfortable with your MD. Personnaly I do not like Target ids very much, I do not want to look at my detector when detecting (could be dangerous since I hunt in forests). Hope you find YOUR best detector, happy hunting, Joe.
PS: with 500 pounds you can get the best Tesoros, very good Garretts with ID, powerful and easy to use Minelabs...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7754.msg49085.html#msg49085

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

XLT
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 05:19:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Joechip will have a look at the listing reviews ref Tesoros, Garretts & Minelabs... do you know which models in each maker to look out for ?
Thanks again for taking the time to post......

Quote:Posted by joechip4
Hi,
I have (and use) an XP GMP and I agree, it is a very, very good MD. It has been very, very popular in France (where it is rather expensive: more than 800 euros). But I would not recommend it for someone new to treasure hunting. Depending on the soil I think it is not always easy to tune and I sometimes found it quite unstable. But I am not a good hunter, I have been more interested in tech than in hunting...  Sad

Bloodhound, my advice would be many hunters' advice : based on a budget, on your own "requirements" (what kind of targets do you intend to find (XP GMP will find very small ones), in what kind of soil (this is a key criterion), tone only, ID, ...), check all the existing MDs from main manufacturers and try to "play" with them.
Since you will spend hours hunting, you have to feel very comfortable with your MD. Personnaly I do not like Target ids very much, I do not want to look at my detector when detecting (could be dangerous since I hunt in forests). Hope you find YOUR best detector, happy hunting, Joe.
PS: with 500 pounds you can get the best Tesoros, very good Garretts with ID, powerful and easy to use Minelabs...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7754.msg49088.html#msg49088

Offline joechip4
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
France

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sovereign, Gold Max Power, Tejon, Fieldmaster SMX90...
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 05:46:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

not easy to answer, I think you will find many different advice on this forum...

If you need an ID you might be interested in the Tesoro DeLeon (or Laser Hawkeye), Garrett GTP 1350, Whites MXT or DFX (I still think XLT is a great machine... but old indeed).
If not, of course XPs (models depend on the targets), or Tesoro Vaquero (or Laser equivalent) or Cibola, or Minelab Musketeer (fantastic for relic hunting)... (old designs but very powerful)
On mineralized soil (beach, crops...) I would recommend the Minelab Sovereign - I do not like Minelabs with IDs but many people do like them.
Fisher, C-scope also make very good detectors but I do not know them. I hope some hunters will give you some advice.
The list is very long ! Kellyco has a very interesting comparator on its site (I don't know if I can insert the URL but their site is easy to find). Trouble is they do not sell Tesoro nor XP... but you will find many Tesoro addicts and XP users on this forum.
Good luck, Joe.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7754.msg49095.html#msg49095

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.