[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline crystalhunterTopic starter
Pull Tab

Treasure hunting...I LOVE the thrill.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Canada
Referrals: 0

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Ace 250
« on: February 09, 2010, 06:02:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A new treasure hunter from Vancouver Island. I love my Ace 250, it's seems to be great for a beginner but with a learning curve. I need to get the different sounds figured out. We went out for the first time, didn't read the book, found lots of pull tabs, a quarter and a dime! LOL
Can only get better with practice.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11261.msg72172.html#msg72172

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:46:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Crystalhunter - congrats on your new detector. My first time out, I only found nails and a kid's play coin so you're starting off better me. Like anything, it takes practice, and you never know what you'll find when you head out. Welcome to the forum. What kind of crystals do you hunt? Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11261.msg72195.html#msg72195

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:48:49 pm by Sue »
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:12:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Crystalhunter---as with Sue, your first trip out was more successful than mine was.   Things will get better though as you practice, read the manual, practice, read the posts, practice....... We're glad you are here.  We're looking forward to reading your adventures.

BA in AZ

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11261.msg72217.html#msg72217

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Canada

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Ace 250
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 11:38:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sue, thank you for the welcome! It's wonderful to have these websites to share our passions and learn from others.
I have been digging herkimer like crystals on one of our local mountains I never thought I would love sitting in the mud digging! lol
A rockhound friend and I are going on a rocking adventure this summer. We are heading to Bob Jackson's Rock Candy mine near Grand Forks, BC for a vug trip. I am so excited. We plan to stop and explore on the way back, we might head towards the Valley of the ghosts and check out the old mine tailings and do some detecting. If anyone has some location ideas that they would like to share or get together for an outing let us know.
Grand Forks here w come...
Thanks AB
I am excited to learn all about my new toy! I plan to go out this weekend to a couple of old spots. Ever since I got my detector I've been asking everyone if they know any spots, they all seem interested and helpful. I'm thinking they more people I ask the more places I'll find to search.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11261.msg72274.html#msg72274

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 10:55:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

From your avatar picture, I thought maybe herkimer. I've never lived anywhere they're found, but have enjoyed finding regular quartz crystals and just rock & mineral hunting. Cavity finds would really be fun. You are off to a good start by asking people about spots to detect. Older people, especially, are great resources as they remember places that were popular back in the days of silver coins. Good luck this weekend. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11261.msg72391.html#msg72391

Offline danwebster
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

2775.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT  and  Surfmaster II
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 11:55:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello crystalhunter, welcome to the site. Learn the machine set up a little test garden in your yard  and listen to the sounds the targets make. Take a gold ring and sweep it past your coil and see if it sounds like a pull-tab. its just like learning an instrument, you will get to know your machine the more you use it. Practice makes perfect. Happy huntin....DW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11261.msg72400.html#msg72400

Offline mikewaz
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1050.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Fisher 1266 X, Fisher F75, Garrett ProPointer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 07:52:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome aboard and to a consuming hobby. Let's hope for some global warming and an early Spring.
Mike

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11261.msg72440.html#msg72440

Please Register or Login

Detector Deals of the Day

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
Canada

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garret Ace 250
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 10:05:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Mike. No waiting for global warming here, it's already spring! lol
The plants are budding, daffodils almost ready to bloom. Jealous yet?
We had a very mild winter this year, only snowed once and less than 4". Got to love the west coast. Lots of rain but hardly any snow or freezing temps.

Thanks Sue. I will let you know if I find anything interesting this weekend. I'm thinking of going to a local park that once had a mill that started operation in the fall of 1890. We don't have many really old spots here on the island but there are a few dating from that period. There's got to be something of interest. We also have some old sites where the Chinese labours worked on the railroad, they are hard to find but I've been bottle digging in a few so now that I've got my metal detector I should be able to find something. If anyone reading this lives in the area and would like to go on a hunt let me know, it would be fun go with another detector.

Thanks for the info Dan. I have tried a bench test like the one in the video that comes with the ace. I will bury somethings this weekend and listen to the different tones. At this point I dig it all! LOL In our yard I found nothing but junk but better in the garbage then in our yard! This weekend will be practice practice and more practice. Just wish work didn't get in the way of my practice time! LOL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11261.msg72460.html#msg72460

Offline Ringfinder7
Ringfinder
Copper Member

Ringfinder
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

271.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TDI,GPX 4500,Garrett Infinium, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Fisher F-75, Whites XLT, Minelab X-terra 70, Garrett ACE 250
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:26:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey welcome, I have a friend who lives up your way.  He metal detects near you and I see him when he comes to Virginia to hunt Civil War Winter camp sites.  He flies in, rents a car and hunts for a week in Virginia.

I see you use the ACE 250, you might want to check out the Garrett page on this forum.  I wrote some thoughts about my ACE 250 there and many others wrote comments about the ACE 250.  You might pick up a hint or two. 

Again, welcome to the site, hope to see many of your finds here, in the future.

HH< Ringfinder  (Happy Hunting)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11261.msg72468.html#msg72468

Offline Sue
Gold Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Female
United States

18259.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 10:33:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Do you ever search along the island's edge? I'd think there would be all kinds of old artifacts / relics to be found since the island has such a great climate and, no doubt, attracted early inhabitants for that reason. I think early trading companies were there, too. I imagine there's oodles of goodies just waiting for you & the Ace to beep 'em out. Sue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11261.msg72470.html#msg72470

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 10:35:04 am by Sue »
Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.