[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline dirtynailsTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

cheap 'toy' detector
« on: March 11, 2013, 01:05:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself here.  I currently live on the Delmarva peninsula, Maryland, USA.  My friends call me Abbey- so you can too.  I began old dump diving when I was very young and living in Connecticut.  I still have many of my finds one of which is an old Quaker State oil sign (2-sided, enamel, classic).  Clearly, I didn't need a metal detector for that one- as I seldom do for most of my finds- including a cool Texaco sign found just a couple days ago (I should say, those are my ONLY sign treasures).  Aside from that, my finds come from tramping through the woods and kayaking the many waterways right here where I live.  My career schedule has never left me much time or energy (or money for that matter!), so the things I find are shore-line wash-up finds or dump finds.  That said, I wouldn't be on this site if I hadn't been so lucky and (relatively) successful. 

I have found lots of glass- from 19th +20th century bottles- a couple older- and bottle stoppers- to marbles (how DOES one find one tiny marble on a non-beach shoreline miles long???!), to buttons (even button 'blanks' (and the shells they were cut from)from what must have been a small cottage industry button manufacturer), to intact sugar dishes, creamers, soap dishes, etc. Even a pressed pink glass cameo! On one amazing beach journey I found not only 2 parts of a broken large swirl marble (old style), but also once-mounted opal and tourquoise cabichons!

With and without my (cheapest of all) metal detector, I've found military and police buttons, dog tags and other medalions and tokens, souveniers, keys, Indian-head nickels, lock plates- and locks, dressers drawer pulls- and more than enough rust- square nails, old linkage and fly-wheels, horse, ox (and mule?) shoes, etc.  Enough old forks and sppons to make several wind-chimes...old toy pop guns, jack knives...

I've found enough tennis balls for my dog Bella to be happy for ever.  Enough little green (and other colors) army (and other walk of life) men.  Tons and tons of fishing lures in variying states of decay. Old wooden home-made toy boats and signs, fishing reals...

I've found an old 2-tone pottery bottle, a small intact mustard(?) crock, a fare number of reed-stem pipe bowls and lots of bits of tavern (disposable) clay pipe stems and partial bowls- one recent one of a horse head all the way from Germany!

My largest collection of found things is my ever-growing collection of Native American artifacts.  Pottery shards and points of every (well, not Every) size and shape- from paleo to late woodland.  Trade era beads too. My area, apparently, has an awful lot to offer.  And as I'm currently unemployed, I'm enjoying the moment and getting out as often as possible to see what the land and sea have spit out for me to find.  I travel light, so I don't dig or sift.  The most I'll ever bring on my journeys is a hand claw and a pair of decent leather gloves.  I loaned out my metal detecor, so that's not in the picture (it rarely is anyway- too much iron in the ground (both natural and manufactured)to get a decent read on much of anything.

What little research I've done has focused on where old, established colonies of people have lived, and where they've discarded what they didn't want anymore.  What I've found is that 1, good real estate is good real estate no matter what the age or era; 2, that people didn't ever go too far to dump their trash, and 3, that water is erroding much of the past, and without folks like me (wink wink, nod nod), many many things would be lost if not for ever- certainly a long time (considering the ancient archeological finds- from objects to whole cities) found underwater.

So that's my long-winded introduction.  I'm happy to have found this site, and I look forward to learning about others' adventures!
Happy Hunting!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46354.msg253294.html#msg253294

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:43:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Abbey, welcome from Arizona.

We've got a lot of dump hunters on this board.    Where I hunt, taking a screen is usually a staple.  Old ghost town dumpsites can turn up a whole lot of treasures.  And besides, if you're shoveling and screening it doesn't matter how much "junk" there is---you will find the treasures.   Dump diving is definitely an activity that I recommend to folks who want to get started but don't think they can afford a detector.   And like you, many of them never loose the junk yard bug.

BA  (by the way, most people use my initials so feel free to do the same)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46354.msg253302.html#msg253302

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:09:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome from NM.      Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46354.msg253306.html#msg253306

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:30:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Abbey! Enjoyed reading your introduction. Welcome from Malaysia Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46354.msg253333.html#msg253333

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 01:02:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Abby,

It's great to have you here, welcome aboard!

I know right where your area is, my Sister lived right on the (Maryland/Delaware) line in Delmarva. Nice area and good detecting grounds there. I love the Ocean City Beach area and town, one of the best & cleanest beaches I've ever seen, and the boardwalk was awesome as well as the fine restaurants with great seafood, and lets not forget some of the best fried chicken that can be found.

Cheers,  Great
Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46354.msg253339.html#msg253339

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:07:08 am by Poseidon »

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline dirtynailsTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

cheap 'toy' detector
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:17:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks all!  I never even mentioned the shark's teeth I've found (and the reason for the avatar).  I confess--I have used a screen a couple times, but it all depends on the soil.  Around here- heck even just in my back yard- the soil ranges from sugar sand to boggy to clay to iron-ee (?!).  If I could get permission to walk the farms around here, I'd be in Rev. War heaven, but that hasn't happened yet. My secret shark teeth spot is semi-siftable, and there are a number of beaches within reach to sift.  Around here, irrosion is a big problem, and I don't like to encourage the demise of a shoreline, so I'm real careful about the extent of sifting.  And the dumps are either literally falling into the rivers- or deep in the woods where bog is returning.  Everything's all rooted-in and full of decomp. soil.  That being the case, the fact that I've found mercury dimes and the tiniest bottles ever- amid dark wet rich soil is a little amazing- and I'm floored every time something that small pops up.  As soon as I get used to this site and figure out how to download photos, I will.  Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46354.msg253438.html#msg253438

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 12:46:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like your getting out more then I have as of late.  LOL

Yep, the Cheapest of the the Cheep Detector is better then NO DETECTOR.

A family Friend once gave me a 60 Dollar Radio Shack detector he did not know how to use.

Said he has Never found any thing with it.

I took it to the Flea Market and found $12.00 in change in a hour.   

I gave that one away in a Contest here and never did hear from the person that got it again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46354.msg253448.html#msg253448

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you295

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:35:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome Abbey, from the mountains of northeastern Oregon!   Welcome                        Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46354.msg253455.html#msg253455

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline detectorstuffer
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

180.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab 305
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 05:19:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A southern-fried welcome from the great state of Mississippi

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46354.msg253822.html#msg253822

J Walker

Taxidermist by day, Metal detector by night

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you358

Activity
10%
Male
Australia

6100.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 05:40:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to the forum,from Melbourne Australia

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46354.msg253825.html#msg253825

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.