[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HIckkoryTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

0.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett master hunter cx3
« on: April 05, 2013, 11:50:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all,

I am so new to the sport that I haven't even started yet. Heres my questins.
 I have a more or less new (old) Garrett grand master hunter cx111 power master with a 8" or so crossfire deepseaker coil. The machine seems to work fine and I did use it to find a missing survey marking steel pin.
 I have a butt load of private land to play on so that's good but what do I need to know? Is my setup ok? Do I need a different type of coil? What is my coil designed for and what are its limitations? What should my expectations be?
 I don't want to go beep beep, dig, cuzz, quit.

Thanks to anyone that has read this far! Im kinda looking forward to giving this a try.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46636.msg255690.html#msg255690

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 01:33:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good Machine!   Work with what you have until you have it figured out.

Coils are a bit hard to find for that one about now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46636.msg255696.html#msg255696

« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 01:03:57 am by homefire »
Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you295

Activity
1%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 12:24:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to the forum from the Blue Mountains of northeastern ORegon!   Welcome                    Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46636.msg255708.html#msg255708

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Foiled Again 2
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher F2
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 12:52:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello, and welcome from Alaska, I agree with homefire, use what you have, make a test garden by burying different coins,and other things like foil, tabs, and such at different depths, and just learn how the machine works. And if it beeps dig it, get all the trash out of the way, so you can find the good stuff underneath.Foiled

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46636.msg255710.html#msg255710

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
72%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:44:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy from Arizona.   Go with what Homefire and Foiled suggested.   Ultimately you would need to do something similar even if you had a brand new machine.   Also, if you look on line, you should be able to find a manual.  That will help speed things up a bit.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46636.msg255759.html#msg255759

Offline Stormrider1951
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, White's VX3
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:27:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

I had an even older version of the GMH that I used for years.  It paid for itself many times over.  I regretted selling it but it was necessary to do so when I decided to jump into the 21st Century with a White's DFX and now a Minelab E-trac.  Here's a simple metal detecting fact of life.  You will dig a lot of trash if you want to be sure you are getting all the good stuff.  Sure, you can set the discrimination to ignore pull tabs and everything below that level of conductivity but when you do you are accepting that you will miss nickles and things like thin gold rings.  That choice is yours.  If it's any consolation, the same pretty much holds true with the most modern detector out there.  My DFX and E-trac allow me to dig fewer pieces of trash but I still get fooled on a regular basis.  The problem is that any metal detector "reads" the conductivity of the object under the coil.  Different coins have known conductive values and those values are programmed into the detector.  The fly in the buttermilk is that different pull tabs can match the conductive values of nickles.  A piece of aluminum foil can read as anything from a penny to a dollar depending on how large it is, how tightly it's wadded up, etc.  Now, before you decide that metal detecting is not for you, let me give you some good news.  Time and experience with your machine will let you reach a point where you can leave a lot of the trash in the ground.  It's a matter of learning what the machine is telling you.  Someone else suggested you bury different coins and bits of trash at different depths and practice scanning them.  That's an excellent idea and something I do anytime I try a different detector.  You already know what's down there so you can learn the response your detector makes to the different objects.  It will ease the learning curve quite a bit.  Most importantly, stick with it and have fun!

Storm   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46636.msg256285.html#msg256285

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.