[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.

Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Snowcruiser57Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada
Referrals: 0

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

D-Tex Search King,
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 05:07:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Snowcruiser57
I decided to start off slow, and purchased a Garrett Ace 350 for now, I felt it was the easiest to learn the new detectors, I am sure there are others who might have choosen another Manufacture or Model, but all reviews pointed to a fairly easy learning curve............it has to be easy than having figured out the Search Kings years ago. I will let the members know my take on this Detector, as I haven't touched anything else since putting down the D-Tex.
Ok, the Garrett hasn't arrived yet, so I checked out my old D-Tex Search King, repaired a small crack on the coil casing, loaded it with 6 new 9 volt batteries(Thats expensive), and took it out to a local socer field, and came back with 1 Loonie(Canadian Dollar), 1-25 cent piece, 2 pennies, and an old dog tag, the old machine still has some good finds left in it after 20 some years, but I am still looking forward to be able to pinpoint the find a little better easier with the Garrett. Don't know why I waited so long to get back into Detecting, had a wonderful day, even the wife joined me (she dug up the Dollar).

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22841.msg164310.html#msg164310

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 11:35:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Snow, Congrats to you and your good Lady, WTG

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22841.msg164406.html#msg164406

Offline bjw1187
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

315.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ace 250
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 11:45:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

All that time not detecting now you're right back into it. Like a nasty addiction. Good luck with your new garret and welcome to the forum.
BW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22841.msg164407.html#msg164407

Offline cache
Knight
Silver Member

NOT INGAGING IN IGNORANCE IS WISDOM
Thank you123

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4335.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Troy Shadow's,  X2, X2 and X3
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 11:52:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats the attitude Great... but please don't loose any of those batterys. I find enough of um,lol... thats alot of batterys to power up a detector? You'll soon pay for  them when you get your knew detector.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22841.msg164409.html#msg164409

Always set your detector knobs on high dedication, higher devotion and at the highest persistence

Seconds Of Madness   Monster Munch   Military Snow  
Offline jrock
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 10:50:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Congratulations!  The Garrett Ace 350 is a good machine.  I hope you like the double D coil (I hear great things).  Welcome to the forum and I would enjoy seeing some of your finds with the Ace 350.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22841.msg165544.html#msg165544

Please Register or Login

Jaytronic Technologies Detectors
:
Great Deals on Garrett and Bounty Hunter Detectors. Find Reviews and Specs on Your Next Detector. Check Us Out!

PM Me for Insane Discounts!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

D-Tex Search King,
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 12:56:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok, the Garrett Ace 350 arrived about 1 week ago, and yes it is alot different from the D-Tex.........weight,power requirements,coil,arm controls etc, I can see it is easier to use and set up............but......I am having to put my settings on Zero, which is absolutely detecting everything. The reason for this is when I am coin hunting, it has trouble detecting the newer version of our Canadian Money, quarters especially, that is probably due to the lack of virtually any silver content. I considered the Ace Euro 350, but it doesn't seem to do much better from the reviews and videos I have read and watched. Are there any special settings or techniques that would make the Ace find Canadian Coins easier, or is it something that each individual has to work out for themselves dependant on their terrain and location. I do love the machine, I went over some areas that I had searched for with the D-Tex Seach King, and came out with a few more finds that were worth while, but also a lot more pop cans and pull tabs, but at this early stage I am digging up everything just in case. Thanks for listening and any suggestions, directions to other postings, advice from Ace owners would be greatly appreciated. Ok, it stopped raining, time to start detecting again, or arrating the lawn depending on how deep and what I find.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22841.msg169230.html#msg169230

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 02:19:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Glad you have the new detector and are starting to get used to it.   Unless/until one of the folks using the 350 says otherwise, I'd keep on doing what you are doing now----dig everything that beeps.  BUT keep a notebook with you so you can jot down the particulars when you do find one of the newer coins or a smaller piece of jewelry.  By examining that notebook once a week or so (maybe lay the stuff out on a graph if you're a visual thinker) you should see the pattern appear more quickly than you would without the note taking.
     As for me, I still dig whatever beeps but that's because A) I'm afraid of missing something good and B) most of the places I hunt coins are added benefits but not the main goal.
     You might also check both our Beginners board and our Garrett board to see if anyone has already posted tips for the 350 that will resolve your problem.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22841.msg169240.html#msg169240

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

D-Tex Search King,
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2011, 06:08:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
    Glad you have the new detector and are starting to get used to it.   Unless/until one of the folks using the 350 says otherwise, I'd keep on doing what you are doing now----dig everything that beeps.  BUT keep a notebook with you so you can jot down the particulars when you do find one of the newer coins or a smaller piece of jewelry.  By examining that notebook once a week or so (maybe lay the stuff out on a graph if you're a visual thinker) you should see the pattern appear more quickly than you would without the note taking.
     As for me, I still dig whatever beeps but that's because A) I'm afraid of missing something good and B) most of the places I hunt coins are added benefits but not the main goal.
     You might also check both our Beginners board and our Garrett board to see if anyone has already posted tips for the 350 that will resolve your problem.

BA
Thanks for the encouragement, I guess I expected more of the newer detectors, also I watch countless videos on Youtube of people Metal detecting, and figured it would be somewhat more exacting in the location and what the target actually was. With 5 different settings on the Ace, and trying them all, I agree with you totally, I am using the "Zero" which picks up absolutely everything, the only control I need then is the sensitivity, which in essence is the same as the old D-Tex Search King (sorry about always bring up that detector in my posts, but I have nothing to compare it too but that). I have made test holes with everything from 18k gold, 925. silver, all the coins I have in my collection, all the way to a rusty nail. It will zero in on the purest metals, but for the rest it can go from iron to gold or silver, so I assume that everyone here on this board digs up everything unless they belive exactly what their machine is telling them. I am keeping track of  what the Ace 350 finds and what it was registering at the time of the find, and I am getting good at digging nice clean holes and replacing them( Must be getting good, the wife didn't even know I had 15 test holes in my back yard). Thanks again, and if you have any other advice feel free to pass it along, I am open to all suggestions and ideas.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22841.msg169840.html#msg169840

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Canada

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

D-Tex Search King,
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 05:10:57 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Made my first significant find in our area, I was out getting used of the Garrett Ace 350 and was able to dig up some coins in a area that I already have been hunting at years ago. I was able to find a Canadian 1950 Nickle and a 1932 King George Penny, detecting is alot like golf, its not all the bad shots that make you come back to play, but those 1 or 2 good shots that you would like to repeat again and again. Anyway, waiting for the weather to clear up, so I can go back out and hunt somemore. Also, I was wondering if any of the members have had trouble bringing their detectors on board aircraft as carry-on's without any trouble?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22841.msg173693.html#msg173693

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 05:20:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Congratulations on the find.   If you get a chance, why don't you post a picture of the coins.

As for travelling with a detector on board aircraft.   I suppose some of it may depend on the airline.   I've traveled with mine as both checked and carry-on without problems.   Personally, I prefer sending it as checked baggage (or at most bringing the control unit into the cabin with me).   You can find out more about other members experiences flying with their detectors here   

Please Register or Login

http://thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8152.msg51078.html#msg51078
   (you'll find at least one link in there that will take you to yet another round of posts on the subject from the previous year).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,22841.msg173696.html#msg173696

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to:  
Attention!

Attention: This topic has been locked. Hence no new replies can currently be posted to it.