[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 07:18:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by japanese
Thank you  GD  --- and I'll leave the response from all members of the ruling -------- it seems -----I will stop myself from responding so apologize-------

I don't mean for you to stop, mate. Just stop telling people to modify a machine that doesn't work in an attempt to make it work. Verify substitutions when you suggest them. Twice now I have found frequency response errors in your recommended Op Amp replacements that would have made things worse, not better. I thank you for your contributions. Just be more careful with your advice.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36323.msg225120.html#msg225120

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline viswanathmarachiTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2012, 12:08:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi GD and Japanese,

Firstly thank you both for helping me trouble shoot my circuit.  Secondly I am so sorry for becoming a platform for this situation.

GD,

I have followed the schematic and found that the all BC546 Transistors were reversed,  I have replaced them and also BC557 with new ones.  But still the results are same.  May be I missed something very important somewhere..... in spite of several comparisons my poor mind is not able to figure it out.

Please advise if you could guess what i would have missed..

Regards
Viswanath M

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36323.msg225256.html#msg225256

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 05:02:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by viswanathmarachi
Firstly thank you both for helping me trouble shoot my circuit.  Secondly I am so sorry for becoming a platform for this situation.

The only opposition to advice given so far is that any recommendation to change a design is going to cause you trouble compounded. Until you get the design working as it should, modifying it will not help at all and the advice being given was to substitute parts rather than find the actual problem.

Now that you have checked and verified your project as far as the parts are concerned, it's time to break out the multimeter and do some tracing of the copper on your board. There is a possibility that two traces are shorted together by a hair sized amount of copper on one hand. On the other, there's a chance that a hairlike fracture in the traces could present an open circuit. The only way to check this is with a magnifying glass (or loupe if you have one) and a multimeter to check resistance and continuity. Verify all component connections to the board. In other words, look at the schematic and be sure that each black line connecting the components goes to all of the places that they should. Inspect VERY carefully and slowly. A tiny crack or short may be very hard to spot. Also, while you are at it, look for cold solder joints. A solder joint that is properly made has a volcano like shape. A ball of solder setting on a lead is a cold solder joint. One that looks like a shiny hill is proper.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36323.msg225257.html#msg225257

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 06:47:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the reply GD... I will check as per the advice and get back to you....

-Viswanath M

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36323.msg225261.html#msg225261

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 02:16:55 am »
Go Up Go Down

Often, DIY projects cost more in time and effort than just buying one. The failure rate on completion by a non technician is very high. At the end of the day, a second hand Tesoro Compadre is only around $100.00 plus shipping. You can recover twice that in a day in areas like yours where metal detectors are rare and the population is large.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36323.msg225382.html#msg225382

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 05:18:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi GD,

I do accept your advice....  But my intention is to build one on my own... and I am treating it like a hobby and I am not doing it for treasure hunting because it will not suit my profession and life style.

I have constructed Gary's Pulse 1 and 2 (Geotech Forum) they both are working fine.. and delta pulse is making me reach the peaks in learning.

Normally I work on my DIY projects on weekends but DP is the only machine which is pulling lot of time(even weekdays) out of me but never mind coz its a great learning with all the kind help from experts like you.

By the way I have checked all the tracks on the back of the PCB for shorts and breaks... I haven't find any..  Attaching the Images to this post thinking that they might give you a clue to help me..

-Viswanath M

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36323.msg225388.html#msg225388

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

IMG_0247Cr.jpg
IMG_0252Cr.jpg

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 05:22:05 am by viswanathmarachi »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 06:32:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Make sure you verify the traces and tracks of copper against the schematic. Also, pop all of your ICs out and look at the legs. Check them for bent or broken legs. Do your resistance measurements against the schematic while the ICs are out of the circuit. Some are CMOS which could be damaged by the multimeter. In fact, as has been mentioned, those parts are already suspect simply because they are CMOS parts. CMOS chips (ICs) are sensitive to static electricity, stray voltages or reverse polarities. That diode might have killed one or more of them when it was backwards. Before you put them back in again, we will need to start a bit more troubleshooting. Have a little patience and we'll get you up and running. It's quite hard to do this when you are 8,000 miles away but we'll give it our best shot. We're done with the guessing games. It's down to hard facts now.

Would you attach the schematic here for the project as you built it? As you know, there is more than one version out there. I want to study the one you chose. Also, when you can do so, grab a small speaker from an old computer, radio, stereo or TV set which will help us in troubleshooting. Solder some soft wires to the speaker. Make the wires about 18 inches long and tin the ends of the wire. We'll be using that to verify a few things as we bring your board up section by section.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36323.msg225390.html#msg225390

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:37:09 am by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline 6666
Bronze Member

Thank you23

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

1060.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

DIY, Whites 6000d, whites 2000 PI
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 08:32:06 am »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting, I am following another thread were the fellow had all the BC546 Transistors reversed as well.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36323.msg225401.html#msg225401

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2012, 08:35:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by 6666
Interesting, I am following another thread were the fellow had all the BC546 Transistors reversed as well.

A common mistake with the device. There are even some differences between manufacturers of the same part. Crazy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36323.msg225402.html#msg225402

Let's Talk Treasure!

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

175.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 12:09:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

HI GD,

I have found another interesting thing in my circuit not sure if its common.  In the attached image the two highlighted resistors are 120K the one in green measures 120 with a multimeter when in circuit, and the other which is highlighted in red measures 10 times less i.e 12k and measures correctly(120k) when taken out of circuit.

Regards
Viswanath M

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36323.msg225494.html#msg225494

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Resistor Issue .jpg

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: