[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ramTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you148

Activity
0%

Portugal
Referrals: 0

5270.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:06:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

calling to all wiz on this forum. . . .! please help that this logger will be wired to pi md.
and if this type of logger can be wired to pi md's.
posted were:
schematic of usb data logger,
picture of usb data logger,
software for data logger .exe (please download in the download area)(6.10mb)

thanks and regards,

ram,
i tried to upload the datalogger.exe including the usb data logger driver, but it can't. i don't know why,
if somebody want to help that this logger will be wired to pi md's, just post your email and i will send the datalogger.exe with driver.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15182.msg97299.html#msg97299

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

data_lgr_1_med.jpg
schematic.pdf

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 03:25:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Not everything designed for USB is plug and play. In your case, the detector may have a USB port but it is not designed for Data-Output. It is designed for reprogramming the detector which is a Data-In function and Data-Store function of programming information. The results of any detection is not made available to the port. If you are using the data collection input on the data logger to store the data, you need to gather it from within the metal detector circuit rather than the earphone plug so the exact model of detector must be known and you must have the schematic for it. Your data logger is a digital data logger and the output from the headphones is analog. Completely incompatible.

You have, in my recollection, asked for help on this before. This is way too complicated to answer in this forum and it always will be. You need a GPS system embedded with a real time clock so you can map the data in the three axis of signal, position and time. You don't have enough equipment if you only have a detector and a data logger. You also need an analog to digital conversion circuit.

Rent a GPR system and save yourself a lot of time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15182.msg97384.html#msg97384

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 03:28:44 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ramTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you148

Activity
0%

Portugal

5270.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:35:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

thanks gd for the info,

regards,
ram

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15182.msg97881.html#msg97881

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 01:10:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello GD and Ram, I was recently thinking of a system like this. GD it may seem like its in the to hard box at the moment, But im sure some cleaver cookie will work it out someday  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15182.msg97892.html#msg97892

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 03:33:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It's not too hard, mate. It's a piece of cake for an embedded systems engineer and programmer. What is too hard is teaching someone how to do it on a forum. I am such an engineer and I have taught this at a university level. I wrote and taught the very first course in high level language programming of embedded systems at Monash University in 1993. That course had a list of prerequisites that would keep you busy for 2 years of hard study. Then, the course itself was 4 months of classroom training.

All that to add a data logger to a metal detector? You bet. It's not for the weak or faint of heart. This isn't a DIY or plug and play feature you are dealing with. In addition to your electronic and programming requirements, you need a computer based data analysis program which means your mathematical knowledge will have to be very high. In other words, what do you do with the data you collect?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15182.msg98043.html#msg98043

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 04:50:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello GD
 im impressed you could actually make such a device, ! Ok i just thought of one practical option. So say your in a good gold area with limited time, You could go out at night just picking up targets. No digging just finding targets then the next day go back to the area with all the target areas all planned out. this then could all be downloaded to the computer for referance...  Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15182.msg98065.html#msg98065

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:27:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Goldnboy, that's all fine but here's an analogy that works well if you think about it.

Get or draw a map of the area you are working. Then go around the ground and grid it by marking it so you can locate where you are finding these targets. Then, as you find them, make a mark on your map and, while you are at it, record all data including signal strength, discrimination and depth. Doing it manually in your mind is one thing. Getting a datalogger to do is is more like the next paragraphs.

First, a device for sensing the exact location of your target is needed. Without it, all you have is a beep "right there" and you need a "beep to some coordinate" system. Latitude and longitude work great so you need a highly accurate GPS to interface to your logger. Now, you need to take that digital information from your detector and make it linked somehow to the location generated by the GPS.

Oops! All you have are beeps, you say? Those aren't digital at all. They're analog. And your detector analysis of target depth and type are also from an analog formula known as a Fast Fourier Transform or FFT for short. Neither of those can be entered directly into a datalogger. So, they must be converted to digital equivalents first. The design of that circuit alone could take months and months because every detector is different. Even if your detector is digital, it still means you have to open it up and gather the data from a variety of locations. Some of those are going to be inside of electronic components forever unavailable to you. Assuming you have all that worked out, you must now have a datalogger that is able to connect these two things together in a manner that allows you to later create a map of your area in a computer. That means making the coordinate data part of the same information that represents your target. That allows you to go back there later. This complicates the data by making it a multiple byte storage solution. With me so far?

That data then has to be moved on to a computer where it will be plotted as an X,Y (and perhaps Z) coordinate map. Whoops! We forgot the orientation. Is it facing North? South? West? We have to know this before we can lay the map out and start digging. You can extrapolate all this from the data by plotting the lat and long on the plot and get a vague notion of the orientation which may be good enough. Writing this software for your computer is unique and not something you can buy from a vendor. Nor is the software for your datalogger.

I still maintain one very important thing. You need to have very high levels of technical skills to add a datalogger to a metal detector. More than can be taught here in a forum like this.

The concept of datalogging is not what I am commenting on here, mate. The concept of using it is terrific. What I am saying is that you cannot simply plug in a datalogger and expect results. The creation of such a marriage is just beyond a casual endeavor. In years gone by, I worked on dataloggers for rockets which required a full set of points in three dimensions. From the ground launch, the acceleration, altitude and location in 3 dimensions were all stored for later retrieval. In addition, those coordinates had to be provided in real time to a camera to print the information digitally on the film.

In the case we are discussing now of metal detecting, the third set of points or depth of target would be that Z axis of the plot I mentioned. It would be kind of handy to know if a garden shovel is needed rather than a backhoe.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15182.msg98075.html#msg98075

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:39:52 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline mmlove2007
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Iran, Islamic Republic of

11.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

pi
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 07:58:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

what hex???
pleas up hex file Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15182.msg98224.html#msg98224

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 12:41:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by mmlove2007
what hex???
pleas up hex file Detecting

Sure thing. Come back on February 29, 2013 and I'll have it ready for you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15182.msg98278.html#msg98278

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline ahal
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Turkey

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 12:29:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks   GoldDigger1950 .Smiley  good information.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15182.msg103006.html#msg103006

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: