[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium
Referrals: 0

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 04:34:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK well I'm obviously missing something here What is a grizzly? LOL not a bear I hope

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46909.msg257513.html#msg257513

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 05:47:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

LOL! U guys really crack me up  Grin By all means, do get a Batpan; after using it, you'll wonder why every prospector doesn't have one. And go get your own volcano lair...this one's MINE! MUAHAHA!

'Splanashun for BA's missus: it's for a good cause- to help the East Rwandans. If you guys can help BA think of more reasons, please do chime in.

Xav, it's not a bear  Cheesy. The grizzly is the mesh screen that fits on the pan. Think of it as a classifying device. You can see it in the first photo of this thread. The sides of the grizzly are encased in rubber, so you won't scratch the pan. Scoop your material onto the grizzly, smaller stuff falls thru, remove grizzly and pan away.

Here's something I discovered when working ultrafines (and it's not on the instructional video):
Please refer to the photo in reply #2. Note that the ultrafines are laid out in a crooked line above the groove, and not in the groove itself or in the vertex. Now there will usually be some blondes of almost-similar density and size to the gold. If you just leave it all in the vertex, there's a lot of work to separate them.

I slowly rock and tap till most of the ultrafines are gathered together, then tip the pan so that they flow along the groove. I then tilt the pan slowly to the side, letting the water slide off along the textured surface, not along the groove. The textured surface of the pan will hold onto the ultrafines, hence you see that crooked line of color. Wet a finger and swipe them off. It sure cuts down on picking the color out with a needle. Mind you, there will still be some needle-picking work to do, but much less so.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46909.msg257520.html#msg257520

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 07:33:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
The sides of the grizzly are encased in rubber, so you won't scratch the pan. Scoop your material onto the grizzly, smaller stuff falls thru, remove grizzly and pan away.

HOooo that makes sense, normally the guys throw everything in the pan then scoop out the heavy stuff by hand, Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46909.msg257541.html#msg257541

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 07:47:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
Dang it......I'm trying hard to resist watching the video.   I KNOW that if I give in, I'll also give-in and buy one of those little gems (especially since the price is so reasonable) then I'm going to have some 'splainin' to do to Mrs BA.

30 minutes of uninterrupted begging used to be called foreplay. Not it's for buying something you simply cannot live without. Life's not fair, mate.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46909.msg257543.html#msg257543

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 07:15:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

BA.... It is a donation to help the folks in Rwanda. She will by that.....

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46909.msg257654.html#msg257654

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 07:44:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Actually I plan on playing the guilt card and reminding her that a) we bought her a new (2012 with only 1,300 miles) Jeep Liberty last week and b) she's the one that get's to wear all the gemstones so I should have a little toy too.....and at least it isn't another book  Smiley

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46909.msg257655.html#msg257655

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 09:31:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
so I should have a little toy too...

And surely you should have this toy! Your missus is a lucky woman....may the guilt card pay off in spades Smiley Its election day over here, just got back from casting my ballots for district and state seats. Over 350 police reports were made over bombings, fires, beatings etc....we had hella lively campaigning period. I got back in one piece and now it's back to panning! Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46909.msg257657.html#msg257657

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 04:39:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Ran out of material to pan, wasn't in the mood to sledgehammer more. Decided to grab a few buckets of sand from the beach and see how things panned out (literally).

1st bucket was from the water's highest point during storm season, the logic being that the heaviest particles would have enough momentum to get thrown up farthest by storm surges, and would also have sufficient mass to resist being sucked back down as the waves retreated. I may be wrong on assuming this scenario, am not familiar with beach mining.

Anyways, the attached photos are of panning the first 3 handfuls of sand from this bucket that I dumped into the Batpan. Photos aren't very good, my camera does poorly in macro mode especially when the subject is still shiny with moisture.

In the first photo you can see the black sands trapped by the Batpan's magnetic pads, and some color was trapped along with the black sands.
The 2nd photo is of more color with other heavies in the "secondary" vertex of the pan, for lack of a better term. That's the point where 3 grooves meet near the edge of the pan.

In case you were wondering, my heart is still going thumpa thump as I type. This beach has gold! And the stuff is really really tiny. I'm thinking it's time to bite another bullet and pony up for a Gold Cube, hoses, bilge pump and lead acid battery. Shoveling sand sure beats sweating like a navvy breaking rocks. What do you guys think?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46909.msg257671.html#msg257671

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Ultrafines in secondary vertex.jpg
Ultrafines trapped with black sands.jpg

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:51:10 am by Hobbyist, Reason: Added a missing word »

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 09:14:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'm with you. In the past, I've told folks about an area near San Diego called Ocean Beach where a canal empties into the ocean. That canal carries flood water during the spring melt that travels through a thousand miles of gold bearing country. I've panned an ounce in a weekend from water that is waist deep and very calm. I drag a lawn chair out and sit in it while I pan in the ocean water. A lovely day out but sunscreen and lunch is a must.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46909.msg257677.html#msg257677

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 09:43:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I drag a lawn chair out and sit in it while I pan in the ocean water.

Think I'd be quite happy in that kind of scenario. Half an ounce of gold a day from doing what you love in pleasant surroundings is a most excellent result!

Ran 15 pans from bucket #1, with each load of sand weighing approximately 750 grams, and I saw a pattern. Now I know that the presence of black sands does in no way guarantee the presence of gold, but every pan that had a certain concentration of black sand stuck to the magnetic pads also had an appreciable number of specks of color. In pans that produced thin lines of black sand, little or no color. Time to go price Gold Cubes and the shipping cost. Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46909.msg257679.html#msg257679

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: