[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldnboyTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 09:00:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
Quote:         Posted by goldnboy         
   It's been done for over a hundred years, & with some very good results. I think Homefire was saying you can check it out on you tube. Im sure they must have something on there.   

Not at all. He is incorrect. What has been done is to accumulate black sand using a sluice, not separate the gold from the black sand. That requires far different techniques. That's why I asked what you meant.

Homefire mentioned a tube but referred to it incorrectly. He was talking about the Henry Henry Sluice which is not used for separating gold from black sand. Think about this for a minute. The black sand and gold have very density making them very hard to separate. A sluice will not do the job.

Look, mate, if you can't understand what the discussion is about, try asking more questions. Don't jump on a wrong answer just because it sounds good. A sluice is a FIRST stage of gold recovery, not a final stage. A shake table, spiral aggregate sorting wheel or a gold pan are what is needed. Then when you get to a certain point, you might need to use some very harsh chemicals or mercury. Certainly not a sluice or a Henry Henry.

Sorry GD but this time I think you are wrong, I was just watching U tube a couple of days ago & they were gathering the black sands from a lake edge and then putting them through the sluice process. This was being done in Alaska. Think about what happens to all the black sands that wash down from streams and rivers all around the world, and what else is with those black sands  Cool  then how are we going to separate  them? I would suggest with a special sluice box made for this purpose.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45805.msg250713.html#msg250713

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2013, 09:09:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldnboy
Sorry GD but this time I think you are wrong, I was just watching U tube a couple of days ago & they were gathering the black sands from a lake edge and then putting them through the sluice process.

Then they weren't down to the fines yet. The fines are as much as you can process aggregate before you have to just work harder and use different techniques.

Trust me, you cannot use a sluice to separate your black sand and gold. It's a whole different process.

Posted on: February 11, 2013, 05:06:39 AM
The process of separating the black sands and the gold from aggregate are one process and separating the gold FROM the black sands is another. Seriously. I believe you are conflating the two in your mind because you are using the wrong terminology. Black sand is not regular sand mixed with black sand. It is the result of sluicing the black sand and gold from the mixture.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45805.msg250717.html#msg250717

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldnboyTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2013, 09:24:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In certain situations black sands will be found in a very large amounts , That have been accumulation over a very large amount of time. The black sands I was refering to in Alaska had been washed back onto the beach from a storm type scenario, this process is like a natural sluice box, now all one has to do is bucket up the black sands and then process it fOR  the recovery of the gold. Now the first part of the process for these folks was to run it through a sluice box system. I can have a look on you tube at a later date
 for the link. I think in Oregon USA black sand on the beach may have been sluiced for the recovery of gold also. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45805.msg250724.html#msg250724

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2013, 12:35:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

You can use a finishing sluice on black sands, I used my MacKirk Mini Long Tom on the beach black sand that congregates around stream outfalls here in Oregon and got a bit of fine stuff, the panning was tedious but it was there.  I built a mini ball mill to process the remaining black sand but haven't done anything with them yet.

Gramps

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45805.msg250741.html#msg250741

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2013, 05:26:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldnboy
In certain situations black sands will be found in a very large amounts , That have been accumulation over a very large amount of time. The black sands I was refering to in Alaska had been washed back onto the beach from a storm type scenario, this process is like a natural sluice box, now all one has to do is bucket up the black sands and then process it fOR  the recovery of the gold. Now the first part of the process for these folks was to run it through a sluice box system. I can have a look on you tube at a later date
 for the link. I think in Oregon USA black sand on the beach may have been sluiced for the recovery of gold also.

You're pretty desperate to be right here.

Black sand and gold when they are the result of sluicing cannot be made to be more separate by additional sluicing. Thus, my answer. But you can continue to come up with dream scenarios that force me to admig that in that particular circumstance, you might consider a sluice. But that was not your original question. Go back and read it. My answers have all been 100% correct. Until you come up with one more reason to ask a DIFFERENT question.

Yes, in Alaska where the black sands are naturally occurring volcanic residue, a sluice will do the job but when the black sand and gold combination result from a sluice or dredge action, the answer is still no. They are too close to the same density which is what makes it so difficult.

Now if you want to continue playing games, go right ahead. Just remember to never, ever ask me a question again. This is no way to treat someone with decades of experience who spends time trying to educate you. Just learn by making mistakes that hundreds of thousands of us have made before you and learned from them. Good luck, Goldnboy. You're going to need it.

Posted on: February 11, 2013, 01:23:39 PM
And by the way, the Alaskan black sand is just that. Black sand. Not the heavy iron and gold mix you get from sluicing. Learn, Grasshopper. Learn.

Posted on: February 11, 2013, 01:24:47 PM
Quote:Posted by Gramps43
You can use a finishing sluice on black sands, I used my MacKirk Mini Long Tom on the beach black sand that congregates around stream outfalls here in Oregon and got a bit of fine stuff, the panning was tedious but it was there.  I built a mini ball mill to process the remaining black sand but haven't done anything with them yet.

There are some options, sure, but you still end up with black sand and gold unless you use advanced equipment.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45805.msg250750.html#msg250750

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline kabier2
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Sudan

437.00 Gold
View Inventory
abuasaia
Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2013, 08:14:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

hi in north of Sudan they use mercury as they say: mercury is the real magnet of god. as they first pan with water and they have the last panning they
pure mercury to the mixer then put it in a cloth and squeeze the mercury comes threw the cloth and gold remains there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45805.msg250758.html#msg250758

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2013, 12:27:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes mercury will soak up the small stuff but unless it is used very cautiously and with every saftey precaution it can cause very serious harm.  At the very minimum face masks and heavy rubber gloves should be worn.

Gramps

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45805.msg250786.html#msg250786

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 12:32:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I wouldn't use mercury either, Gramps. I did find a bottle of amalgamated gold and mercury in a garage sale once. They had no idea what it was. About 4 ounces of gold recovered. I used a retort and reclaimed all of the mercury that I could. I expect that I lost a drop or so.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45805.msg250789.html#msg250789

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2013, 12:53:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I agree I wouldn't use it either, it could do some nasty things to my already comprimised old grey cells.  But if they are going to use it, like I said, those the bare minimum, a full hazmat suit would be rather uncomfortable in those climes.  If they used one of those cabinets similar to a biological handling cab. that would be even better.

Gramps

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45805.msg250794.html#msg250794

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2013, 12:58:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mercury is no way as bad as some folks lead you to believe.

There are other ways to deal with Micro Gold in Black Sands.

Like Halide Leaching.

Nothing more then Household Bleach and Muriatic Acid.         OOOOOOOOO I said the A Word.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,45805.msg250795.html#msg250795

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: