[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2010, 01:40:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Some pyrites Do In Fact contain gold.

Down here in southern New Mexico, it has been processed and made money. Wise

With the Up Prices of Gold it would kick but if you could keep the EPA off your butt.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg104051.html#msg104051

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2010, 08:16:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

And I'm still wondering how arsenic is used as a leach agent.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg104102.html#msg104102

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 08:23:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
And I'm still wondering how arsenic is used as a leach agent.

It isn't.  You use cyanide or something similar to leach the arsenic out of the ore.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg104106.html#msg104106

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2010, 08:27:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
It isn't.  You use cyanide or something similar to leach the arsenic out of the ore.

That's what I thought. But maybe Homefire would care to expound on that?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg104110.html#msg104110

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2010, 10:05:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I sure don't want to start another back and forth off topic, but, are you sure it was maybe cyanide you were talking about and not arsenic? The main process for removing gold from ore is cyanidation using a heap leaching process. It was/is cyanide that is used to leach out metals, and arsenic is one of the metals leached out. There was no use for the arsenic, so it was left to stand in the trash heaps after the gold and any other precious metals had been removed. The arsenic, being heavier in specific gravity than the host rock, then worked it's way down the heap and eventually deposited into the aquifer beneath the ground and also into surface waters. Current regulations and standards closely monitor escape of any water into the ground or even runoff from the heap area after a rain or whatever. Here in Cripple Creek, Colorado the local milling operation (Cripple Creek and Victor Mining) produces water at the end of the process that is more pure than the drinking water that runs through the taps of almost any city in the USA. They finish off the process in a huge building with what looks like a water slide. They use pecan shells, peach and apricot pits, basically burned into a charcoal, to get the gold which is in a liquified state to attach to it (adsorption). Then they used a kind of electroplating process to collect the gold onto a large strip of metal. After all this, they melt the collected gold and pour it into a cone that you can hold in your hands (after cooling of course). Hundreds of thousands of tons of ore, crushed, leached, water slided, electroplated, and finally - a beautiful cone of gold that only weighs mere pounds. I do want to acknowledge that there is a fairly new process where they do use arsenic and sulfides to leach out gold from ores that resist the cyanide leaching. I don't think this process was around long enough for the Peru Hill Mill to have been affected.

Once again, I am not trying to sound like a know it all. I did know Mr. Know It All, but I ain't him. I'm only responding in the hope that the new guy doesn't walk away totally confused enough to just throw in the towel and quit prospecting before he gets past the first few weeks or so.      
[/quote]

No Problems here.  I implyed in error that Arsenic Was the leach. It is the carrier.

Please Register or Login

http://www.springerlink.com/content/g426074184025214/

Please Register or Login

http://books.google.com/books?id=8UFUCHECBRYC&pg=PA418&lpg=PA418&dq=can+arsenic+carry+gold&source=bl&ots=6RMEbiKpPs&sig=iIYB_6bWXUxl6QaoyYlb-EdoH8Q&hl=en&ei=T0s1TOjpCYKglAfdzPHVBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7&ved=0CCkQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg104118.html#msg104118

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 10:13:57 pm by homefire »
Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2010, 10:26:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

From what I see so far cyanide is a leaching agent, and arsenic is a leachate or byproduct of the leaching process; not a leaching agent as previously stated by Homefire. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.
And thanks for the links, Homefire. If there is gold worth extracting from pyrites, I will have to learn more about this.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg104122.html#msg104122

Offline daddio
Copper Member

The more you dig, the more you'll find. Dig it.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

265.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT - Tesoro Lobo - Tesoro Golden umax
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 10:59:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Every year, I get at least 10 samples from over-excited people. They think they found gold, and when I tell them it's iron pyrite, their reactions are usually of disbelief mixed with severe disappointment, sometimes anger.

The attached photo is of some samples received about 6 hours ago. I no longer bother to explain to them WHY it is pyrite. They are free to take it to any goldsmith's or metallurgical lab for a 2nd opinion, and they can pay the fees to hear the same answer they got for free from me. Grin
Near Colorado Springs is another little town called Manitou Springs. It is named this because it has about 12 tapped springs where people can try a drink of natural springs waer right out of the ground. Anyway, there is a creek that runs through the center of town. There is a park in the center of the town where people stop to drink from a couple of the springs and use a public restroom. While they are there, they look into the creek and notice a shiny gold color material on the creek's bottom. Jars are emptied, paper cups are emptied, and soda bottles are emptied and then they are all refilled with the shiny gold colored material, which they are certain is gold. You'll see posts in all kinds of blog sites where these people eclim how easy it is to fill a jar with "gold dust" in mere minutes. I get calls from excited visitors asking me just how they could test their gold, and before they eve say anything I ask them if they got it in the park in Manitou Springs. They say it is and I then have to burst their bubbles as I tell them they have nothing more than loose mica flakes. They refuse to believe me and as seems to often be the case, they let me know that they think I'm a wannabe and have no idea what I'm talking about. How could I know if I haven't even looked at their find? After telling them how to check it, they finally relent to the fact that they haven't come to Colorado to make money in the "Pikes Peak or bust" gold rush. Oh well, if it was that easy then gold wouldn't be around $1200 an ounce right now.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg104294.html#msg104294

Shut up and dig!

Offline beaks
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

205.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2010, 04:44:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

lmao love that mica it makes everyone happy until they get it home and find out its worthless.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg104661.html#msg104661

Offline Hobbyist
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2010, 10:31:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I managed to speak to a former supervisor and 2 workers of the long-defunct Mamut copper mine. They all said there is gold in the iron pyrite they encountered, but it's a very VERY small amount, and only economically feasible to extract as a by-product of copper extraction (which was the mine's bread n butter).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg130657.html#msg130657

Offline daddio
Copper Member

The more you dig, the more you'll find. Dig it.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

265.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT - Tesoro Lobo - Tesoro Golden umax
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2010, 12:45:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

I managed to speak to a former supervisor and 2 workers of the long-defunct Mamut copper mine. They all said there is gold in the iron pyrite they encountered, but it's a very VERY small amount, and only economically feasible to extract as a by-product of copper extraction (which was the mine's bread n butter).

You could probably say there is gold mixed in with any and every mineral that exists, BUT, thats not what the discussion was ever about. A person asked if they found pyrite would they also find gold. Let's not assume they simply wanted to know, but were asking so they would know if it would be worth their time and effort to look for gold where they had seen pyrite. The simple answer to that question is a resounding NO! Quit nit picking and pointing out that this guy or that guy said they've seen gold mixed with something else. That isn't why the question was asked in the first place. There is gold in sea water, but that doesn't mean anyone should advise you to go digging for gold just because you are near the sea. Gold might be a byproduct of refining any other stone or mineral, yes, okay, so what? If you come across some pyrite and think that just because you've found pyrite you're going to strike the gold motherlode, good luck to you as you waste your time. No, pyrite does not mean gold, plain and simple. Black sand does not mean gold. Gold means gold and that is the only mineral you can count on when looking for gold. I have been a gold prospector for well over 24 years and with that much time under my belt I told you way back on the first page of this ridiculous argument that finding pyrite does not assure you that you will find gold. Take that or leave it, but I will surely guarantee you that if you don't want to believe me and you will decide to follow the my cousin said, or my friend said, or a guy who worked at a mine said, then go ahead and dig in the pyrite and good luck to you. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg130669.html#msg130669

Shut up and dig!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: