[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline daddio
Copper Member

The more you dig, the more you'll find. Dig it.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

265.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Chrome 35.0.1916.153
Chrome 35.0.1916.153

Awards

Whites XLT - Tesoro Lobo - Tesoro Golden umax
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2014, 07:28:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This may be a long time in coming back with an answer, but, as I had said, finding fools gold or even mica, is not an indication of gold. If I took the time to list every other rock and mineral that I found in the  same pan as my gold, it would be a near endless list. The point is, when you are looking to find gold in your pan, then all that counts is the gold. The idea that you found or find other materials in the sand/dirt you dig up have nothing to do with that gold. It's just a coincidence, an incident that happened at the same time, coincidence. There are certainly indicators that gold is around.That will generally be an outcropping of white quartz. As the gaseous fumes came up from deep in the ground volcanic magma, the quartz formed and then fractured. Then gaseous fumes came up with the gold in a gas/liquid form, and it cooled and became trapped in the cracks in the white quartz. Subsequently, iron also came up through some of those cracks,more likely as well water (it ruins Koolaid in many parts of the upper peninsula of Michigan and northern Wisconsin.). The iron will appear as rust in the fractures of the quartz. These indicators are telling that there may be lode gold present. Lode Gold is unrecognizable by most people because it looks like little silver crystals. There is also yellow gold present in the quartz rock, and it makes for many fine specimen pieces. You will not however find much loose gold around white quartz, if any, unless you are the first human there. That gold will need to be hammered away from the quartz and then processed as most lode gold would. Sometimes however, some of the yellow gold will be left loose as the quartz deteriorates and crumbles. It will then begin it's downhill journey. Gold, being heavier than most of the dirt around it, will always continue to move downward until it meets up with an immovable surface, usually bedrock. Any gold that is down in a creek or river is only there, because like all of the other rocks and minerals, it broke away from it's original source and eventually came to rest in that water. There is nothing in the water itself that is any indication that you will find gold. Hopefully now, this will help anyone new to prospecting when it comes to this topic.

I am a prospector of over 26 years experience. I have been at one time, the president or past-president board member of the Gold Prospectors of Colorado. I answer questions only when I know the answer without doubt or hesitation, so you can take my responses to the bank.

Posted on: July 16, 2014, 06:16:30 pm
Quote:Posted by Hobbyist
Of course it's a very valid point. I'm not as experienced as you guys in prospecting, but I know enough to move on to other areas if I find iron pyrite. And yes, people have found gold in pyrites before, I saw it happen about 4 weeks ago 2 miles from my house. They processed 12 sacks (approx 360kg) of iron pyrite-riddled dirt and got a button of gold less than 6mm across for their pains. Net result: Loss.
I'm still waiting the fire assay results on my lump of Chalcopyrite. Hopefully there'll be enough of the noble metal in it to make hobby processing worthwhile. If not, on to the next site!
Limonite is new to me. Time to do a bit more research!
  OK. What you are using as an argument that there is gold in pyrite is that, "They processed 12 sacks of iron-pyrite riddled dirt....". So the gold is not in, as in part of the iron pyrite. What you are saying is, in a mixture pulled from the ground or creek there was iron pyrite, and mixed in with it was some gold. The gold is not "IN" the iron pyrite, it is only part of a mixture of materials that will be processed. Therefor, no the gold is not IN iron pyrite. Now I have a question to this. Are you calling Black Sand (Iron Oxides) iron pyrite in error? Yes, as established in the very beginning of this thread, there may be iron oxides (black sand) in the same place as gold is found, but the presence of black sand has nothing to do with gold. The only reason they are found together is because black sand has a specific gravity high enough that it will also remain in a pan after lighter materials wash out. To finalize this though, black sand is NOT an indicator of gold. It is just a coincidental occurrence.

Posted on: July 16, 2014, 07:09:41 pm
Quote:Posted by agate195
in metamorphic pyrite [ limonite] carries gold also
Quote:Posted by Hobbyist

Limonite is not an actual stone. It is soil made up of crushed iron oxides, generally decomposed or weathered outcroppings at the surface. This decomposed material forms with other soil and minerals to become Limonite. Yes, there is gold trapped in the Limonite at times. Once again though, people are being pulled off the trail of gold by looking for black sand (decomposed iron oxides). There is a long scientific process that takes place as the iron oxides leach through 5-6 layers of soil to the water table, and none of it matters. You can set your machine for iron and find all the black sand you want, bucket loads even, and just maybe you'll find a teensy bit of gold, or you can set your machine for gold and find gold with maybe a speck of black sand stuck to it. It's all up to you. If people continue to follow the black sand as their old manuals tell them to do, then they may find gold, but they'll sure find iron oxides, and a lot more than they want. If you have a Gold Bug or a Lobo, or another gold specific machine, and it's not a million years old, then forget the topic of black sand, iron pyrites, iron oxides ever came up, set the machine on gold, and look for gold. Why are gold seekers such a difficult lot?

I'm answering a 4 year old question and am not aiming my response at anyone in particular. I'm just on the topic today.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg277499.html#msg277499

Shut up and dig!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2014, 03:55:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Some Pyrites do in fact contain gold.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg277593.html#msg277593

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2014, 04:10:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Staying tuned to this thread

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg277596.html#msg277596

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2014, 04:14:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yep,   Cypres was making some good money extracting gold from the stuff.   If the EPA left them alone, they would still be at it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg277598.html#msg277598

Offline golddustcarl
Silver Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you159

Activity
1%
Male
United States

7377.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

NOKTA SIMPLEX+,Tesoro Vaquero, VibraProbe 580, Garrett Carrot, Garrett Master Hunter ADSIII
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2014, 05:24:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Some of that stuff looks like galena to me.

Posted on: July 17, 2014, 04:05:29 pm
You know your stuff daddio.
golddustcarl

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg277612.html#msg277612

A bad day at gold prospecting or metal detecting is better than a good day at work.

GOLDDUST CARL

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2014, 05:34:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Some don't know Galena can contain more then a few % of silver.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg277614.html#msg277614

Offline golddustcarl
Silver Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you159

Activity
1%
Male
United States

7377.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

NOKTA SIMPLEX+,Tesoro Vaquero, VibraProbe 580, Garrett Carrot, Garrett Master Hunter ADSIII
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2014, 05:45:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yup. Got some at home.
Golddustcarl

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg277615.html#msg277615

A bad day at gold prospecting or metal detecting is better than a good day at work.

GOLDDUST CARL

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you358

Activity
9%
Male
Australia

6090.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Chrome 35.0.1916.153
Chrome 35.0.1916.153

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2014, 04:50:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gold bug was THE MACHINE in AU finding the small gold,
Minelabs took over, but people still using them

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg277721.html#msg277721

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 04:51:32 pm by nickel_n »

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline daddio
Copper Member

The more you dig, the more you'll find. Dig it.
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

265.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards

Whites XLT - Tesoro Lobo - Tesoro Golden umax
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2014, 01:08:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Let me wrap up my involvement with this thread by giving you some great advice. Whether you accept it or not is up to you, but some of you are seemingly more stubborn than a mule and want to continue to argue like a 3 year year old with nanny nanny boo boo attitude. Here it is. OK, yes, as some have consistently argued, there is possibly a minute amount of gold in pyrite. Digging up and collecting pyrite for this reason would be like going fishing and after bringing up a couple lines with skinny dirty crawdads, deciding that since they might have eaten fish, we should switch to catching the crawdads instead of fish. That makes no sense at all, and neither does collecting huge amounts of pyrite on the outside chance that there might be a microscopic amount of gold in the heavy buckets. If you are one of those guys who just wants to argue - to prove you know sumpin about sumpin, then fine, go out and dig up all of the pyrite you want to. At the end of the day I will have a lot more gold than you, because I know enough to just leave anything that isn't gold alone. I'm a gold prospector, not a rock collector. GOLD!

If you are after gold, then pass up all of that bullcrap that "might" contain gold. You are a prospector, and you are looking for gold. SO LOOK FOR GOLD for God's sake! Skip all of the nonsense. Who cares if you heard from an old guy that just maybe this other substance contains a little gold. GOLD CONTAINS ALMOST ALL GOLD! Then some of you people were unable to understand what the question was. We were talking about a solid mineral (pyrite) having some gold present. We were not talking about crushed up powdered pyrite in the bottom of the creek having gold possibly mixed in with it. YES, that is possible and likely, but that wasn't the topic.

So my final words on this. Gold is where you find it. Prospecting is not gold panning. Prospecting is digging holes in the ground working your way uphill looking for where the flaky gold or little pickers were coming from. Pulling sand or soil out of the creek and panning it is not prospecting, it's just gold panning. With this in mind, who cares what other rocks or minerals have specks of gold present? If you are looking for gold, you look for the gold that might have a speck of something else on it. Everything else is just Leverite- or "leave er right" there on the ground.

Posted on: July 19, 2014, 12:19:57 pm
Quote:Posted by nickel_n

he Gold Bug remains as one of the best gold machines out there. When you can't afford thousands for a Minelabs, a few hundred for even an older Gold Bug is great. They were always designed to find gold - period.

Posted on: July 19, 2014, 01:04:05 pm
Quote:Posted by nickel_n

The Gold Bug remains as one of the best gold machines out there. When you can't afford thousands for a Minelabs, a few hundred for even an older Gold Bug is great. They were always designed to find gold - period.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg277777.html#msg277777

Shut up and dig!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Chrome 36.0.1985.125

Awards
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2014, 01:23:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Waning if this thread get out of hand I will lock it. Gold is where you find it and that's all there is to it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15730.msg277778.html#msg277778

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
Jump to: