[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Dr.SluiceTopic starter
Dr. Sluice and the mobile prospectors. lol
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: February 27, 2011, 02:09:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Just wondering if anyone knows of a good creek that would be carrying gold in the Wallhala SC area? My friend is currently camping just south of there at Lake Hartwell and I have asked him to bring a bucket of creek sand/gravel back with him. However, I need to tell him where the best place to go would be for him to get it. I really wish I was out there with him, I'd just go pan for myself, but that's the breaks... Any help with this would really be appreciated.
     Thank you all for being in this really cool online community where I actually have a place to ask a question of this nature.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21672.msg149064.html#msg149064

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you226

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 02:20:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

A random bucket of sand has as much chance of containing gold as the sand from the local playground - which might actually contain a gold ring or two. This is not meant to discourage you but to encourage you to do extra research yourself. I've seen you ask this question a number of times already and nobody can really answer your question and with good reason. Finding the right location is sometimes a lifelong search, not one that can be answered on a forum. The old saying among prospectors is, "You find gold where it is."

Join the GPAA. For $67.50 per year, you get a Miner's Guide of places to hunt gold where it has been found on claims managed by the GPAA on your behalf as a member. You also get a gold pan, a few other goodies and a monthly magazine that updates the Miner's Guide. Your membership card and a report at the end of your time there is all that is required to use claims where gold has been found. After you learn a bit about finding gold, you can start a search for it in places where it hasn't been reported found. Who knows? You might find the next big strike.

The GPAA can be found here:

Please Register or Login

http://www.goldprospectors.org

Good luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21672.msg149068.html#msg149068

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:23:28 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline rclaiborne4
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

85.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Commando
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:48:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If its in the Peidmont and has a lot of quarts rocks chances are good it has gold in it somewhere. Sometimes the gold is all the way down in the bed rock because its not being refreshed all that much with flood gold. Sometimes you get a speck or two in just about every shovel full from a gravel bar and every storm redistributes fresh flood gold. Gold gets harder to find in the mountains and is much more scarce. Just about all creeks seem to have a little color in that area if you look hard enough but only a few are worth working. Online search should give you some hits. Getting public access to creeks and rivers in the peidmont is hard because it is just about all private property plus State land and WMA lands all have strick regulations. You got to be a master at keeping out of sight and out of mind to enjoy this hobby anymore it seems. Some property owners are freindly if you give them a signed waver of liability and pay them for access or give them some of your gold though!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21672.msg149199.html#msg149199

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 07:28:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

No offense, but people aren't just going to give you there secret spot. I worked hard for everything I know and all of my spots and I'm not gonna tell a stanger what rock to dig under. Make friends with locals. The only people that get secrets are the closest of friends. Joining a club is the best way to get a lot of access and make some friends that have the experience you seek. I would make friends with you, but I live in Washington.

Cheers and goodluck,

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21672.msg149635.html#msg149635

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 07:42:30 pm by seanengman »

Yearly Clad: $2.06
Canadian Clad: $.02

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 01:57:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the input. I'm not asking for anyone's secret spot, Just a good idea where my friend can get a random bucket of sand & gravel. This is mostly for my 12 yr old. He loves to do all the panning. I get to play with the sluice box Grin
  I appreciate the feedback and this forum. I hope to make friends with all of you one day. Distance has no limits when it comes to good friends Sean. Never know, I might just be out that way one day as my grandson lives in Coos Bay Oregon.
    Rich pans always to you fellow prospectors, Jim

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21672.msg149699.html#msg149699

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites GoldMaster II, Fisher Gold Bug II, Minelab Explorer II and Tesoro Treasure Mate
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 12:28:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey man, if you make it this direction I have a lot of toys to play with... make sure you bring a wetsuit! I have a friend that is very good at exploring new locations. What he does is basically crevice exposed bedrock. He has found at least 3 undiscovered/unrecorded placer deposits in Washington state. I have buckets and a shovel and a pan in my truck at ALL TIMES! I would tell your friend to opt for the dirt as near to exposed bedrock as possible.

Cheers

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21672.msg149805.html#msg149805

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 01:08:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sean, Hey thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it someday and you, your friend and my son and I can go find some BIG GOLD. Cheesy Shocked We're going to spend a lot of time in Indiana this summer. My uncle lives near big pine creek which has good flakes, fines and the occasional nugget and also diamonds are being found now and then too. I also have a friend in western NC who has a creek somewhere NE of Murphy. Should be good gold there. So, planning to get there this summer and dredge with a contraption I'm building now. Here is what I have done of the sluice box so far. I have various sizes of expanded material to test out and still waiting for v mat to get here. It'll be a highbanker with a trommel to classify and dredge fed. Totally portable on mountain bike wheels, so I can wheel it along like a wheel barrow pump and all.
 Anyway, I'm blabbing. Thanks for your support and best of luck with the Washington gold. Great
                        Only rich pans brother,
                                                   Jim

P.S. I stole this idea from a Canadian. lol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21672.msg149824.html#msg149824

There are 4 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Picture 001.jpg
Picture 003.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 008.jpg

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 01:50:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wow, I love it.  That set-up looks great for the small creeks where I find myself some times. I have noticed also, that here in WA that often times the shallower waters on the public areas where dredging is allowed have literally never been touched by a dredge! Most opt for the 4-5" dredge and those big horses can't get into those shallower areas.

Cheers

Sean

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21672.msg149834.html#msg149834

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:15:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It's a sunny day today and I'm off work, so I'm out on the back porch working on my pump set up. I'll post a pic when I'm finished getting my chain on the sprockets. I'm using a centrifugal 1" old Sears pump that was originally electric 1/2hp, but the motor was shot. So I chained it up to a 50cc pocket bike engine that has a built in gen coil. hee hee hee. There is 12V DC for the trommel motor (windshield wiper motor). Haven't started on the trommel frame or drive, but I have a good idea how that is going together already.
                       Wish me luck on no knuckle busters today...lol

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21672.msg149837.html#msg149837

Offline seanengman
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 07:40:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You have some engineering genes in you. Keep us up to date with some pics.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,21672.msg149897.html#msg149897

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: