[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 03:56:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Windup or shake all operate off same priciple. Be safe!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13921.msg88385.html#msg88385

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 05:33:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

hows the mine find going ? im waiting for the pic's and any updates. good luck and go safe

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13921.msg88399.html#msg88399

Offline Fools Gold
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States

420.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Lobo VLF, Tesoro Lobo ST, Tesoro Sidewinder
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 07:10:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Its pretty cool findig it, Be carful going in

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13921.msg88532.html#msg88532

Offline au2detect
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2010, 10:22:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The last post was on the 29th of April?? Has anybody heard from toleary34, as its the19th of May already. Just a quick note to say your OK would make me feel better.

Au2detect

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13921.msg93578.html#msg93578

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2010, 10:31:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

He is online now au he is ok are as ok as a treasure hunter can be. If you click on their name top left it will take you to their profile and you can see when they were last on line

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13921.msg93583.html#msg93583

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline toleary34Topic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 12:23:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hey everyone; I'm still here and just as treasure hungry as ever.  haven't done much with the mine lately, I have been focusing my attention more towards the Southern part of the state where there are quite a few trreasure stories, and  a whole lot of mining history.  I will let you all know of anything that I come across in my searching my home state for the history that still lay undiscovered in the sand.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13921.msg93601.html#msg93601

Offline atomicsocal
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

BH Lone Star, Fisher F2
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 12:32:03 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds like fun Leary. I'm heading out to mojave desert (on the way to Vegas) next month and hoping to check out some old mines out near calico and death valley. Good times. Hopefully well both have plenty of pics! Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13921.msg93602.html#msg93602

Offline toleary34Topic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 12:41:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Atomicsocal;
      Where you're heading is where I was stationed when I was in the Marine Corps, out in Twenty-Nine Palms California.  I haven't been to Calico in years but loved it every time that I was there, very well kept historically.  I will have some new pictures posted soon of a Ghost town I went to three days ago.  There are still folks living there, but for the most part it's a ghost town and is listed in the pages of history as such.  there are mines everyhwere you look up there and quite a few ruins and old stone walls still stand.  my dad had a friend that just recently passed away that had bought some property up there in this little ghost town, and in his back yard he a cliff wall, with his own mine shaft from the late 1800's.  I'll post those pictures as soon as I get the opportunity to.  take care of yourself   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13921.msg93604.html#msg93604

Offline oroblanco
Copper Member

Nemo me impune lacesset
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Tesoro Lobo, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Whites
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 10:05:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello,

I just want to make a few points here.  The most important, is that, especially in the desert environments - the first few feet of a mine tunnel or adit are the most dangerous.  The mouth of the tunnels are exposed to rain, wind and the rest of the elements, and they are the
most likely to come crashing down on you.

Always have a person OUTSIDE, to dig you out.  Back in 1994, about a half-mile from one of our claims, was an old mine.  A newly married
couple decided to honeymoon on that claim.  The next day, this woman came screaming and crying and running in circles. (literally, she had
a vehicle, but was so distraught, she ran all the way up to us instead of driving).  We, along with another person, went down to the mine, and there was her new husband, who had been afraid to go too far into the tunnel, about 3 feet in, standing up, buried to his shoulders.
He died before we could get him dug out.  Great honeymoon.

Also, just because a tunnel or mine or adit looks abandoned, doesn't mean it is free for you to poke around.  We have mining claims - we spend about a month on the claims, and we have tried to store extra water and tools in the tunnel. (about 100 feet back in), and every single year, someone takes the tools, the emergency blanket, the emergency matches, and usually use the water bottles for toilets.  Just because an owner or claim holder is only there a month or two out of the year, doesn't mean you or anyone else gets to mine or highgrade
or metal detect on that claim.

There are legal claims in just about any and every spot in California and Arizona.  If you are taking minerals (even a little flake of gold or silver) you are claim-jumping and stealing.

Every single year, without fail, we go to our claims and people have high-graded (making the tunnels unsafe), and every year we have to spend at least a week, restablizing the walls and ceilings, digging tons of dirt that we should have to (and have no gold) before we can
even pan a pan of our own.

Before you go poking around old mines - make sure you visit your local, friendly, BLM office, and make sure you are not on a legal claim. You
cannot go by claim markers - we put new claim markers up every single year and someone always has to vandalize them. (except for one, which is "hidden" because you have to climb up a cliff to get to - and that's too much like work for someone who just wants to grab a little
gold for themselves).  We take pictures every single year of us putting up new claim markers (proof, just in case), and, just once, I would
LOVE to go to the claims and be able to set up camp and........mine. (instead of cleaning up tons of garbage and fixing dangerous tunnel entrances first).

So, be careful in those first few feet of tunnel.  Yes, the air in the back can be dangerous, or non-existent - but, first you have to get past the more dangerous threat of unstable openings.  Make sure you have electrical devices as opposed to gas-run lights (it will burn up available oxygen-fast), and, depending on where you are - if you are in an area that can have earthquakes (California), bring a glass coke bottle with you.(empty)  Place it on a rock where it is in danger of falling off. Balance it carefully - don't place it securely.  The slightest rumble from the ground will make it fall off - and you can get the heck out of there. (its the closest thing to an early warning system). Even
a 3.9 earthquake will shake it off a rock. Enough to almost not feel, but enough to take a part of the tunnel down - especially the entrance.

Remember, nothing - nothing - is worth your life.

Beth

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13921.msg109880.html#msg109880

"We must find a way, or we will make one." -> Hannibal Barca

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 02:32:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good advice mixed with a real tragic tale there, Beth. Any chance of adding an iron gate with a strong lock to your claim entry?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13921.msg109928.html#msg109928

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:34:50 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: