[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline OrcamanTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa
Referrals: 0

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher 1236 X2
« on: September 16, 2010, 03:49:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi guys.
I think with all thunters there is always that feeling of the possible 'big find' and the excitement that goes with it. I metal detect with a Fisher 1236 X2 really just for fun-(the find!) at local beaches and the odd idiot losing car keys and rings. There are several historical buildings in my area but as I had mentioned somewhere before, in South Africa there is a lot of wire at most of the sites and can be back-breaking and sole-destroying at the same time.
Time to advance!!!
Around the corner from me, 30-40kms away is the town of Knysna-pronounced 'nize-na' and just outside the town was a gold rush in 1876 or so. A fairly large nugget was found on the farm Ruigtevlei in a small river by the farm owner James Hooper. There was a massive influx of prospectors but eventually things 'dried up' and the gold town shut down. The main area is Jubilee Creek near Rheenendal and are known as the Millwood Gold Mines. There is a bush trail running along a small stream which has several tunnels running into the dense wooded hillside-(crouching height). I briefly detected along the path and in the tunnels themselves but all I found was a big old broken axe head. To this day the area is big in timber.
I take it some of you guys use Google Earth in your researches? The area I'm looking at has a few small streams on it and I must try and ascertain which river James Hooper actually found the 1st nugget in but as I have NO clue on how to take it further maybe some of you guys wouldn't mind parting with some of your well earned wisdom.
As with bass fishing I always find it better to just go and fish a dam than ask permission first. If permission is sought and denied then you're caught, well then you are in the poop so I just act dumb, which I manage with a great ammount of natural flare and appologise and harp on the fact that this must be the wrong farm then.
Once I have the general area scoped I plan to use my bike instead of my small pickup van to get into the area and maybe camp out for a night or two. The reason for the bike is that it will be easier to 'hide',(not a van parked on or next to a track) which would bring attention to myself and as the bike is a respectable bike, not a noisy scrambler that whoever may question me may fall for my chirp of a cleaner planet, non-invasive, earthy approach to my illegal camping... Idiot
I like the idea of the syphon system but must first check the gradient of the area/streams. I suppose the end of the pipe pretty much flows into a bucket of sorts and the water continues to overflow. Does one then pan the sediment at intervals then? I've only seen guys panning on tv and I know there's an art to it...can I use any shallow steel pan or is plastic a good choice to run a detector over?
This is in a nutshell and I'll try and post a link of the area for those interested. If you read this avier, where are you based in SA and would you be keen on a project like this?

Cheers all and HH

Andrew(Orcaman) Victory

{alt}

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17966.msg115810.html#msg115810

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Greater Garden Route..jpg
Possible camp..jpg
Ruigtevlei Farm..jpg

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 04:02:52 am by Orcaman, Reason: Adding images. »

You only live once, make the most of it!

Offline male25earl
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

125.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 03:59:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

hello can i borrow your metal detector,,from philippines because having on that thing is hard for me 1st don't have the money to buy..and there's a lot buried yamashita treasure here in the philippines during 2nd world war. and only thing to find it is the gold bar metal detector...could help me??

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17966.msg115813.html#msg115813

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher 1236 X2
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 04:09:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sure, no problem mate. Just send me your account details and I'll deposit the mandatory $280 admin fees. It may take a while as I'm in a town named Abuja in Nigeria.
No further comment. Laughed my ass off

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17966.msg115816.html#msg115816

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:22:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

Orcaman

It is seems you have some good gold hunting spots in your part of the world. I have some where old newspaper clipping of of stories where gold reefs was found in the early 20 century.

In my part of the world some times farmers shoot first ask questions later.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17966.msg115873.html#msg115873

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher 1236 X2
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 09:53:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hehe, Andy be nimble, Andy be quick,
Andy make tracks before the click!

We don't really have that problem here...I hope. It's not as if I would be ambling around a farm house in the middle of the night, that would be looking for lead.
I know gold/ore is found in veins but what I'm trying to grasp is how widespread the gold can be from one discovery point. If I find the area where the farmer found his nuggett and where others have found too then would that entire area have a possibility of gold or will it be confined to a vein that has been eroded over time into a creek/river?
Would the deposits be coming from high up in the mountains or not, an interesting one. I'm hoping that the regulars here will get back from their respective hunts today and help me a bit Wink

Cheers,

Andrew Waveing

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17966.msg115879.html#msg115879

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 10:31:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Andrew

Did we not meet on a fight from GP to PE? I was coming back from Senegal  Idea Your project sound good but did you think of all the red tape? OK so lest forget about the red tape for now yes I would be interested but I live in the Eastern cape and unemployed at the moment so thing get hard to do.

Regards Xavier 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17966.msg115884.html#msg115884

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher 1236 X2
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 11:32:25 am »
Go Up Go Down

I vaguely remember meeting you, I could be wrong. I was on my way back from Mauritania and stayed a few days in Dakar, that was in March I think.
I know the coil I have is resin based so I think my chances of repairing it are rather slim. I think it is a hollow base shape filled with resin. Maybe the problem lies at the lead entry so I'll give that a jimmy first.

Cool bananas Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17966.msg115889.html#msg115889

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 12:27:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Small world we live in

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17966.msg115897.html#msg115897

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline viking
Bronze Member

www.metaldetect.co.za
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

2160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 04:19:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Orcamon!
I'd be keen.Trying to organize a Gold Bug Pro.
I can act dumb. Or I can use the old.....sorry for the intrusion but I am thinking of doing my masters thesis on the biodiversity of this..........you get where I'm going with it.I've tried it....it works worst thing that can happen is you get told to chuck.Then you just walk away looking at your shoes hehehe. Police
I am actually quite interested in this project. Could be a good experience.
Viking.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17966.msg116246.html#msg116246

Please Register or Login

www.metaldetect.co.za

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
South Africa

300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher 1236 X2
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 04:39:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Got my 'Masters' years ago but more on the line of the alkaline influx and bio-haemoroidal conflusion of the metanano effects of salinity and graphite compositional proportion rates and sector stagnantation relapses in the regional river system due to the ever increasing construction of golf courses in the Western Province. So yeah, I know what I'm doing!.......Can I pan in your creek?

Hehe, yep, I'm working on it, doing some more research and may take a ride out in the morning Sunday, to scout a good camp site near the river that is easily accesible yet tucked away.

I'll let you know the outcome if I do go and get some more pics.

Cheers Victory

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17966.msg116250.html#msg116250

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
Jump to: