[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline WaulespanTopic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« on: July 15, 2011, 06:12:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have found a Welsh gold lake in Powys. Anyone want to volunteer to climb into this Shangri-la? I'd not be able to take responsibility for your risks, so you'd have to sign a disclaimer.
Powys is a bleak county in Wales, but beautiful and full of hidden gems. I found one hidden gem last year, but it is a hard place to explore. On my rounds, if I am feeling especially brave, I get into this hard place and dig another couple of buckets into the sharp slate scree. There is a mountain of scree above this place, looks stable, but I could be buried if there is a sudden shift. Usually I find some small flakes, but I've not got down to the hillside bedrock just yet. There could be a massive slug of quartz with gold down there, maybe twenty or fifty feet into this chasm, or maybe only a few feet, a nugget of massive proportions, resting on a ledge.
It is a general principle in prospecting that streams on steep hillsides do not retain gold in great quantities, especially in Wales where the quantities are rare enough already.
However, I love to hike and climb and slash my way through dense pine forests to get to hidden places, waterfalls, where deer, mountain otters, eagles and mythical creatures take time out, relax and stare at us stupid humans, wandering in the mists. One day, in the Welsh sunshine, I will find the horsehead nugget. But I will need help to get it down, into a truck and then where? I have a precious place to prospect, on public access land, where even the farmers or commoners don't know who owns the minerals. In large areas across Wales, the deeds to ancient estates have been lost by various means, carelessness, moths, lack of accurate plans on sale, and a failure to fence, control or assert ownership.
My precious hidden gem seems to be such a place. The stream cascades down a steep hillside, then flattens out for about fifty yards, before plunging down again about two hundred feet. All hidden in a mix of trees, scrub, dense moss and rough scree. What a lovely place to some, but a shard of hell to others.
I'll dig here now and then, probably at risk to life and limb. No-one here will probably volunteer, but I'll post pics of my flakes from this site, and, oh, someday, a pic of the biggest nugget ever found in Wales. It has to be down in this chasm.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26573.msg186936.html#msg186936

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 06:17:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

G Day Mate this sounds like fun I give it a go

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26573.msg186938.html#msg186938

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 06:44:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are a brave volunteer. I'll sign you up for the next assault on the suicide Scree dig.
Here is a list of equipment to bring.
1. Campervan, with every comfort you want, or need, or can afford, or just a basic survival kit, because you/we could be dead anyway if the mountain falls on us.
2. Impregnable Boots, with feet which love pain sweat and 50%.
3. Midge net. It won't help, Welsh midges love midge nets, because they know they don't work for more than ten seconds. They get into your trousers and work up your bloodstream into your brain. Never mind, the itch is part of the pleasure of Welsh prospecting anyway, so get used to it. I love midges, they taste like Marmite if you get enough on your toast.
4. Back pack with equipment. Make sure you can hardly walk before you set off up the mountain of your choice. If you get past the toilet block next to the Mawdacch on a test walk, you didn't pass. Trainee prospectors must always collapse and get taken to the Dolgellau hospital, otherwise they weren't carrying enough kit for a real exercise. The Dolgellau hospital has a special ward for gold prospectors, but with the cuts and all that they got lost in the system and were transferred to the Leadhills in Scotland. Up there it is like a scene from the Walking Dead, limbs flailing about and moaning, Michael Jackson impersonations aside.
5. Several Henderson pumps of different lengths. Biggest three metres, with the secret special pump action booster humper sludge separator, which has yet to be perfected. Yet another stupid experimental mountain demolishing tool to hike up the hill, which will probablyh turn out to the unoperational if the wind turns 5% to the north.
Never mind, it will probably all work out in the end, we can send up a flare for the free rescue copter and get our stupid faces in the press for being oh so silly to risk our lives on a bleak Powys mountain. Or maybe, just possibly, we will one day be smiling on our yachts, basking in the gold-plated cups made from the horsehead nugget we found in our chasm.
Or, we could give it away to charity.
We can't live forever, but as long as we live we can live.
6. More equipment, we will take in next time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26573.msg186944.html#msg186944

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 07:25:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Who wants to be the richest man in the graveyard anyway, to heck with it lets just give it away
I think I might use a tent, that way you can rap me up and drop me in the lake

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26573.msg186950.html#msg186950

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 09:43:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bri please be exremely carefull, make sure your tie off is secure, make your equipment is in tip-top condition.  Watch out for overhangs that could collapse and give you one of those "oh sh****t" moments.  Also make sure you wear proper head gear, a rock sticking out of your head wouldn't look cool and I imagine wouldn't feel terribly good either.

Hope you find your El Dorado.

Dennis,
in Rainy Oregon

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26573.msg186972.html#msg186972

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 05:34:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the advice Dennis. I'll have to get a helmet for Ridge too. The rules of the mountain apply indeed. No fooling around up there. It isn't a lake, but it must have been at one time. It is like a natural shallowish bowl, about thirty feet across, possibly deep in places, but there is visible bedrock to trace down. Maybe it gets emptied out every few hundred years or so by massive downpours, then gradually fills up again. The large shale rocks are flat, lying flat mostly, and can be easily pried apart. Just above, in the gorge, the massive rocks seem solidly jammed into each other, like they can resist the strongest flows. But I wouldn't attempt to move them, as the whole lot could cascade into the lake, maybe causing an avalanche from further up. The bowl, or lake is no use to fish, but it might be good for frogs and for deer and other wildlife, once it is a clear watery place again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26573.msg186987.html#msg186987

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 08:16:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Brian,

That shale might harbor the long dead bodies of some prehistoric critters, it might be worth splitting some chunks of that shale with a good sharp rock chisel.  Who knows you might come up with something that'll put a little jingle in your pocket that is if the government types don't try and put the nab on you for defacing the land.  Grin

Do take care,
Gramps

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26573.msg187071.html#msg187071

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 06:49:33 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good point Dennis. However, in the UK there is no regulation against moving rocks in a river, stream or pool, unless it actually harms some protected species, or it is in a geopark, where geological studies, such as breaking rocks apart, requires consent. Landowners and anyone they privately licence to prospect may have to gain consent under Mining laws, eg. Health and Safety rules if there are employees, otherwise it is at own risk. The Mines Royal Act 1688 & 1693 give total freedom to landowners and their agents to mine, whether in a river or hard rock. The issue of trespass is also pertinent. If you do some works to someone else's land for ten years, the Land Registry Act 2003 allows you to claim ownership of that land, if certain conditions and proofs are met. Now, in some places I have consent, in others, where the land appears to be abandoned and is not registered with the Land Registry, I cannot trace the owner.
So, I do a little panning in a stream, and if someone comes along I ask if they know who owns it. In the case of one stream, a few locals told me they think it is abandoned and ownerless. They have all taken water from the stream for their houses, without any objection for many years. Regarding the Afon Wen, the Forestry officials accused me of defacing the river, simply by moving rocks. This has been going on for hundreds of years, so I asked them where the rocks are supposed to be by now. Should they all be moved back up stream? So they stopped using this argument.
Hope this explains the situation in the UK. Is it much more strict over there?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26573.msg187245.html#msg187245

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 02:13:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yup that clears things a bit, but as always give a bureaucrat a 25 page rule book and he find a rule on page 50 that applies to the situation at hand.

Take care,
Gramps, aka Dennis

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26573.msg187312.html#msg187312

Bronze Member

Thank you5

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

665.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 04:45:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Indeed, loopholes can work both ways. I was crushing a small quartzy rock yesterday from that place and found a small flake. Rucksacs full of rocks to come. Need a Berdan pan type device. Any ideas?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26573.msg187378.html#msg187378

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: