[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 11:58:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
Just like chucking a TV in the dump you have done no more.

I'm living in a 3rd world country, but we have special collection centers for electronic waste where such items are properly processed.

As it's a bit of a quiet Sunday evening, I'll expound a little on why I'm so interested in benign or less-harmful ways of processing precious metals.

I've seen first-hand the environmental damage caused by industrial-sized leach ponds. It's not a pretty sight. If done properly and with the proper safety measures in place, leaching is fine.

Years ago, I had a worker named Hakim. He was a bull of a man, diligent in his work, quick to laugh and in all respects an ideal employee and a decent guy. After several years in my employ, Hakim came up to me and in a bashful manner said that he would like to leave for awhile to try out some other job, and if it didn't work out, could he come back? I assured him that I'd always welcome him with open arms and wished him best of luck in his new venture. I calculated out his wages, paid him in full, gave him a ride to town, shook his hand and we parted ways. I did not ask him what his new job was as it was none of my business.

Several months later, I got word that Hakim had fallen ill. I won't go into too much detail, but thru my contacts, I eventually found out that he had fallen in with a group of people who mined gold and he had been assigned the lowest task of handling mercury, bare handed. He had become as mad as a hatter in the most literal sense. It was a damned waste of a good guy. I do admit feeling a tinge of guilt for not asking him what the new job was. Maybe I could have changed his mind or at least warned him of any potential dangers. But then again his gold fever may have deafened his ears.

Some time back I had posted in this forum a pdf article on extracting gold using borax. It didn't stop there. I had printed out some color copies and distributed them to people I thought were in need of such info. As most of those people do not read English (and very often are illiterate), the color photos and verbal explanation was essential. I don't know if it helped change anything, but I did what I could. I shall be following this alpha-CD method with great attention, not just for my personal benefit, but to help others avoid becoming another casualty like Hakim. If any of you know of new methods of gold extraction which are benign, please do let me know.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47054.msg258621.html#msg258621

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Gold Snoop, White's 4900/D & White's Gold Master.
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 12:01:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Four Bromine Patents were uploaded to the files section of the Yahoo groups goldminers forum.  The first one would probably be more useable for small operators, the other three require a lot of rather large equipment so are more for large mining operators.

Gramps

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47054.msg258768.html#msg258768

It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 02:11:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Gramps. Jumped thru the hoops to get onto that group, approval pending. Having to join a group may discourage others from getting the info. Google found several Bromide methods, but the process and materials used may be too complicated and is still hazardous. All the same, I'll look into them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47054.msg258771.html#msg258771

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 02:56:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bromine isn't as hazardous as cyanide or some of the other leaching procedures. The nice part though is that with the addition of a little bromide the solution is ready to go again, no worry about having to dispose of the expended leach solution. I haven't read it yet but I'm sure there is a way to neutralize it when you are done and don't want to keep it around. I still think that the SSN procedure is the least costly way to go and reasonably safe as well but of course you have waste disposal problem.

Gramps

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47054.msg258801.html#msg258801

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 03:54:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Lets See?   You already Drink Chlorinated Water.   They already Balance it with Muriatic Acid.   And the Problem Is?    You all have been watching too much Discovery Channel.

Back in the 70's Tucson was using Clorimide in the water.   It rotted out all the Copper Pluming in homes and Ice Makers in Refreges.   They paid through the nose on that one.

But that was Ok.    No one said anything about what it did to people.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47054.msg258812.html#msg258812

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:57:14 pm by homefire »
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 04:32:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Something may be wrong with the forum download counter. Gramps had an attachment in post #16 which I've downloaded before...and I noticed it still says ' downloaded 0 times'.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions. Will still be looking out for benign methods. Simple reason for that: real life habits of certain people, not Discovery Channel. Gotta expect that the artisenal miners here will have sloppy handling practices, and are likely to be indiscriminate or totally uncaring about hazardous wastes disposal.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47054.msg258817.html#msg258817

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 05:25:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You know of course that this is a liberal plot to eliminate the excess population.  The greenie's scream the water is unsafe so the gov comes up with legislation to clean it up. Then the greenie's holler they trying to poison us and blames it on the conservatives.  It's vicious circle that was started,
aided & abetted by the liberal/commie/pinko's in the first place.

Gramps  Wise Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47054.msg258835.html#msg258835

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2013, 02:51:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Gramps43
You know of course that this is a liberal plot to eliminate the excess population.

I really don't know what to say to that, Gramps, except that I hope you're not part of the excess population. Over here it's the extremist islamo-fascists that would dearly love to have ethnic-cleansing of us infidels, and they sure aren't liberal in any sense of the word! Fortunately they haven't amassed enough support to do so...yet. Keep well and keep on finding color!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47054.msg258868.html#msg258868

Offline Gramps43
Bronze Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2121.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 01:53:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hobbyist...Anybody in this country who hasn't drunk the Obama brand of koolade is excess population. That includes conservatives, libertarians, independents and moderates.  Enough of these people were very disappointed in the Republican candidate that they either didn't vote or eeek voted for Obama. Those of you who live outside this country have your own fish to fry.

Gramps

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47054.msg258911.html#msg258911

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 02:22:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Gramps43
Enough of these people were very disappointed in the Republican candidate that they either didn't vote or eeek voted for Obama. Those of you who live outside this country have your own fish to fry.

Politicians the world over are cold fish, Gramps. So you smell something fishy with Barack Hussein eh? Your kettle of fish and mine may just be remotely related. I never could understand why he got the Nobel (cod)Peace prize. Don't keep still in one plaice, lest you flounder. OK I'm outta fish puns, and am just waiting for the weekend so's I can go dirt-fishing! Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,47054.msg258921.html#msg258921

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: